Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Aug 5th 2007, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Hi all,
We arrived in Melbourne last November and are loving it
We are in Eaglemont, which is a lovely, green, tree-lined suburb in the North East (not far from the city).
But having spent time in Brisbane before, and having just been up there for a weekend, I have a strong desire to return there one day, mainly for the climate.
Visiting up there also made me realise something – for me, the best thing about Melbourne is the CBD and the funky inner suburbs - Prahran, Fitzroy, Richmond etc. I love the city life, cafes, going to gigs, exploring all the bars and restaurants and the never-ending sports events.
For me, there would be no point in living far from the city as that is what Melbourne does best.
If I moved to Brisbane, it would be for a very different kind of lifestyle. I would probably look to live in the bayside area and get my social life within the community, eg, join the local boat clubs/RSLs/bowls etc.
Brisbane as a city is not a patch on Melbourne, IMO, so while I'm happy with the city life then I'll live in Melbourne, when I'm ready for a laid-back, beach lifestyle then I'd look to Brisbane.
And I'd agree that Melbourne definitely grows on you more than any other city.
When I first visited (a couple of years ago) I was distinctly under-awed. But within a few weeks I loved the place.
Just one warning - we found getting a rental a complete nightmare. After about two months searching and 20 failed applications ( we had no rental history as we own our house in the UK), we eventually got the place we are living now because we knew someone who was a friend of the letting agent.
So be prepared for a long process.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all

Looking at Victoria after extensive research on WA and Queensland, met some Aussie friends recently who throw lots of spanners into our plans and has now swung us Victoria way and am liking what I'm learning at the moment, so we'll fitting WA/Queensland/Victoria into our November reccie and will then try and decide Looking at semi rural areas that are scattered around Cranbourne, looking for properties with few acres for our dogs.

Seems to be a very 'sensible' state.

Hope this post bumps more replies

Wendy
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:57 am
Just Joined

southrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving to Melbourne at the end of September. I will be studying as a mature student at the Carrick institute for 2 years from January.

Anyone else done this?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Turtles is an unknown quantity at this point

heya all,

Just wanted to say thanks for starting this and you all for contributing to it. We're currently thinking about making the move but decided that we're too chicken to move without visiting Aus first.....so we're going to somehow try and afford a holiday in Melbourne at the start of next year to get a taste and see if its for us.

I want to keep an eye on this thread and also will keep you informed as we try to decide if we're brave enough to take the plunge!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
A few reasons to live in Melbourne.

i. There's a famous quote which goes something like:

"Sydney is the girl you date at High school, Melbourne is the beautiful girl you marry and think 'Christ! I'm glad I didn't have any kids with the other one'."

(It's actually 'Sydney is the girl you date, Melbourne is the girl you marry' but I thought everyone else would jump on me and say 'she's ugly though!')

ii. Sydney, Perth and Brissy have a wow factor. Melbourne may not go 'wow' on a bad day in winter, but then its the only city in Australia to keep growing on you the longer you stay - it's like a vintage bottle of red. The other cities is what you see on Day 1 is what you get on Day 1254.

iii. It has actually reasonable salaries, reasonable (compared with Perth and Sydney) house prices and you can have city living, and country/hills living within 40mins of each other - or bayside living for that matter.

iv. It's also I reckon got good old Aussie living but less rednecks.

v. Weather is bang on for most of the year. Pleasant spring and autumn, 4 seasons is complete rubbish - long hot summer with changes, and a short winter perfect for getting the old wood burner on for that old Pommy lifestyle.

vi. VIC it seems is the 'sensible' state.

vii. Everyone I know overseas seems to think it is the 'place' to live in Australia - and they haven't even been here. Yes I know....................
I agree Melbourne is the best option. Hands down on any other city in Oz (for me).
Funny, when I 1st`came here to wait for our dogs to come out of quarantine, I was kind of underwhelmed by it. The more I got to know it, the more I liked it. Also, having been here awhile and seeing Melbourne within the context of Aus, made it more special for me - made me appreciate it all the more.
If I liked city living I'd live in Melbourne

Last edited by birdynumnum; Aug 17th 2007 at 1:12 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I agree Melbourne is the best option. Hands down on any other city in Oz (for me).
Funny, when I 1st`came here to wait for our dogs to come out of quarantine, I was kind of underwhelmed by it. The more I got to know it, the more I liked it. Also, having been here awhile and seeing Melbourne within the context of Aus, made it more special for me - made me appreciate it all the more.
If I liked city living I'd live in Melbourne

I think it would be a very difficult city to leave, I've considered it, comparing it to other Australian cities and yes European ones and for me it compares very well.

I reached that conclusion after my trip two years back, when I was suprised that I felt a very strong draw back to Europe. For three weeks I was really drawn, Sitting down in Brunswick St Fitzroy, one Sunday afternoon, with my family, having coffee and a light meal. I realised that this was every bit as good as the Left bank of the Seine (I realise Brunswick st isn't as big as that area) but the feel was so similar, and the ambience was as good, for me, as anything I had just encountered in Europe. Only half the price, and 15 mins from my House. I love doing the casual eating and browsing around Bohemian type places. Melbourne ticks the boxes easily on that very important score card for me.

Melbournes Urban centre, has to be one of the best on the planet for being laid back yet full of multi cultural choice and heartbeat. Problem with that is, it makes it hard to move away from.

The point that Badge makes about your still discovering things about the city on day 1254 etc, is so true about this place, I'm still discovering things after two decades. Thats got to carry Melbourne over the line well in front of the other Aussie cities.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:03 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is fantastic. Last night we dined on the colonial tram, it was like being in an Agatha Christie novel, in the 1930's. The ambience was unique, driving round the streets, enjoying our delicious 3 course meal and smooth local wines. Then we went up to the top of the Eureka tower, the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere, and the tallest residential building in the world. The view from 87 floors up was breathtaking.

We're really looking forward to exploring more of this amazing city.

Buzzy
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:26 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Melbourne is fantastic. Last night we dined on the colonial tram, it was like being in an Agatha Christie novel, in the 1930's. The ambience was unique, driving round the streets, enjoying our delicious 3 course meal and smooth local wines. Then we went up to the top of the Eureka tower, the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere, and the tallest residential building in the world. The view from 87 floors up was breathtaking.

We're really looking forward to exploring more of this amazing city.

Buzzy
Isn't the Q1 Building in surfers Paradise taller?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Isn't the Q1 Building in surfers Paradise taller?
Thats a debatable issue, there are only a few metres in it, I'm fairly sure that the Eureka tower here is taller, something to do with the Q1 building having taller masts and less liveable space, or it could be the other way around.

Dont worry Vanessa, the Grollos are Planning something twice to three times the size
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Knutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant future

Hi there,
Just thought I'd bump this one back up to the top.

OH and I are off to Melbourne in (hopefully) a few months on a 457 visa, just getting all the visa application stuff together at the moment. Heard there are lots of delays once we send it off so very keen to get everything together as quick as possible.

The company has offered us 3 months accommodation but have given us an allowance of $500pw, I've had a little look online and it's not looking likely, anyone know any better? We'd be looking to buy our own place in the not too distant future so don't really fancy adding to this with our own money but we will need a furnished place on a short term let. What did others do?

Thanks, Leann.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:35 am
Just Joined

castaway1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

I fly out 29th this month for 3 year contract looking at living in Glen Waverley east of Melbourne
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:38 am
Just Joined

castaway1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Re accommodation there is very little furnished accommodation and if there is its expensive been looking past three months suburbs a lot cheaper and mean a lot cheaper depends what you want

Originally Posted by oztime
Hi there,
Just thought I'd bump this one back up to the top.

OH and I are off to Melbourne in (hopefully) a few months on a 457 visa, just getting all the visa application stuff together at the moment. Heard there are lots of delays once we send it off so very keen to get everything together as quick as possible.

The company has offered us 3 months accommodation but have given us an allowance of $500pw, I've had a little look online and it's not looking likely, anyone know any better? We'd be looking to buy our own place in the not too distant future so don't really fancy adding to this with our own money but we will need a furnished place on a short term let. What did others do?

Thanks, Leann.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Can anyone tell me about areas around Melbourne for families, having to work mostly in CBD and need to use public transport. Lost to what to start looking at ? and tips on renting as own our home in the UK Thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by estherg
Can anyone tell me about areas around Melbourne for families, having to work mostly in CBD and need to use public transport. Lost to what to start looking at ? and tips on renting as own our home in the UK Thanks
Just sent you a PM!

Rachel
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by castaway1967
I fly out 29th this month for 3 year contract looking at living in Glen Waverley east of Melbourne
Hi we live in Glen Waverley, give us a shout if you wish any info btw, there seems to be lots of rentals around here just now, when we were looking it was tight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.