Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

I'm flying to Melbourne on the 14th August.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:17 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by znaylor1974
I'm flying to Melbourne on the 14th August.
http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/f...it=Get+Flights

Which airline? Welcome in advance, hope you like our paradise
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Were flying out on 24th November, heading to the west side.

Pete, Ruth and Jasmin (8)
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:07 am
Just Joined

niknakpaddy is just really niceniknakpaddy is just really niceniknakpaddy is just really niceniknakpaddy is just really niceniknakpaddy is just really niceniknakpaddy is just really niceniknakpaddy is just really niceniknakpaddy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dianej
Well Im about to...................

Were booked on the Singapore Airlines Flight from Heathrow on 4th August. Absolutely bricking it now!!!!
Weve been sitting on deckchairs, sleeping on mattresses on uncarpeted floors, using up nasty tinned food and back of the freezer stuff and surrounded by half filled cardboard boxes while slowy, my wordly goods are sold off one by one on e-bay. Im absolutely shattered and stressed with all the moving of stuff to my Mums and I dont finish work till the 2nd!!!.

So far, this has been one very long, hard trek for just me and my daughter - but living proof that it is possible to do this as a lone parent if youre detrmined and organised. I think its made my daughter and I much closer - but I guess the toughest parts are yet to come????

Sevenseas arrive next Friday to sail my goods away on the ocean and Ive just booked first three weeks accomodation - got a good deal at the Toorak Manor and then The Melbourne Oasis in a twin room (£139 for 7 nights) - hotel accomodation is soooo expensive when your on a budget!!! Im so hoping to secure a long term rental asap.....I start work on the 4th September!!! And have to get daughter in school!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!

For anyone taking the plunge remember this....................

'Life doesnt just happen to you.....YOU happen to life - so go grab it!'

Best of Luck all you out there!

Diane.
Hi Diane. Good luck with the move. Having done it ourselves last September we know how scary it can be but it really is worth it once you get here! The first few months will keep you pretty busy getting your new life in order but once things settle down you can really start to enjoy yourself. Obviously having to work cramps your style a bit!! but we always make sure we do exciting stuff on the weekends. Beats Yorkshire anyway. Not going back!! All the bes. Zoe and Nick. (Elsternwick)
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

peteandco will become famous soon enough

Were heading to Warragul as soon as the house sells (looks like we may be in for a long ) . Heading down that way for hubbie to find work. Really excited about the move, just waiting for that lottery win to go (cause i think there's more chance of that than selling the house).
Pete, Nadine and Hannah. xx
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/f...it=Get+Flights

Which airline? Welcome in advance, hope you like our paradise
Singapore.

Of course, no 457 as yet.....
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Knutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant future

Hi there,
Just joined this site as it looks like I'm going to be moving to Melbourne in the next couple of months, yikes! My husband has just accepted a job and the 457 visa application is about to be started. I have no idea how long it'll take but the company are hoping that we might be out there in September... double yikes!

My husband will be working in East Bentleigh, can anyone suggest some handy areas to live? By the beach would be nice but we've heard that there's a shortage of rental properties at the moment.

There's so much to do I'm not sure where to start!
Leann
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:20 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oztime
Hi there,
Just joined this site as it looks like I'm going to be moving to Melbourne in the next couple of months, yikes! My husband has just accepted a job and the 457 visa application is about to be started. I have no idea how long it'll take but the company are hoping that we might be out there in September... double yikes!

My husband will be working in East Bentleigh, can anyone suggest some handy areas to live? By the beach would be nice but we've heard that there's a shortage of rental properties at the moment.

There's so much to do I'm not sure where to start!
Leann
http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

You will find this site invaluable as well Leann

Its basically BE members but more selected ones residing in Melbourne/Victoria. I know of several people who live in and around East Bentleigh - its not far too the beach or really anything - good location.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Knutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

You will find this site invaluable as well Leann

Its basically BE members but more selected ones residing in Melbourne/Victoria. I know of several people who live in and around East Bentleigh - its not far too the beach or really anything - good location.
Hi there, That's great thanks for the link! Leann.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

LoonyTune is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kapri
Every time i log on to expats I look for any info re: Melbourne but most people seem to be heading for Perth or GC.
So here is the official Melbourne thread. Who's going there? When? Who's been there? For how long? What's good? What's bad? What's indifferent?
The Perthies have their own thread for contacts so I thought we should have a Melbourne one.
I'll kick it off.
I'm aiming to be there by the end of this year. I've never been there despite having been to other parts of Australia. My reason for going to Melbourne is that it's the only place my OH would consider but now I've started researching it I'm feeling very excited.
It never gets a look in on Wanted down under so I even started watching Neighbours to get my fix of it
Who else is going there/ there already?
We looked breifly at Perth mainly for the climate. We decided to return to our original plan of Melbourne as that is where my wife's brother lives. We will arrive there at the beginning of February after over 16 months of jumping through DIMIA's hoops. Perth sounds great on the surface of it, however, having spoke to friends, family and strangers that have been to Perth, there seems to be a high population of English and it feels remote.

Hey-ho

See you in Melbourne next summer (180 days to go!!)

LT
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all me and oh are hoping to get to melbourne in not to distant future lost out 3 years ago as oh did not have enough recent work experience but now she has we are going to try again
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Michele9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Me and my OH are hoping to move to Melbourne mid-next year. The ACS skills assessment results are due in the next week or so, and the English test results (for Dutch OH) any day now.

Initially we thought about going to Sydney for the job opportunities, but after lots of research Melbourne is definitely the "place to be". Living in Melbourne will make it possible for us to afford to build our dream home, and my OH will still be able to commute to the CBD within 30-45mins. We can't wait to move.

Good Luck to you all getting your visas.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dianej
Well Im about to...................

Were booked on the Singapore Airlines Flight from Heathrow on 4th August. Absolutely bricking it now!!!!
Weve been sitting on deckchairs, sleeping on mattresses on uncarpeted floors, using up nasty tinned food and back of the freezer stuff and surrounded by half filled cardboard boxes while slowy, my wordly goods are sold off one by one on e-bay. Im absolutely shattered and stressed with all the moving of stuff to my Mums and I dont finish work till the 2nd!!!.

So far, this has been one very long, hard trek for just me and my daughter - but living proof that it is possible to do this as a lone parent if youre detrmined and organised. I think its made my daughter and I much closer - but I guess the toughest parts are yet to come????

Sevenseas arrive next Friday to sail my goods away on the ocean and Ive just booked first three weeks accomodation - got a good deal at the Toorak Manor and then The Melbourne Oasis in a twin room (£139 for 7 nights) - hotel accomodation is soooo expensive when your on a budget!!! Im so hoping to secure a long term rental asap.....I start work on the 4th September!!! And have to get daughter in school!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!

For anyone taking the plunge remember this....................

'Life doesnt just happen to you.....YOU happen to life - so go grab it!'

Best of Luck all you out there!

Diane.
Diane
I know i have missed you and you are currently winging your way to your new life BUT just wanted to wish you and Chloe well.
Stay in touch
Loads of love
Mandy. Rachel and Mark xx
Old Aug 4th 2007, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Melbourne Thread.

Feel like we'll never get there. On the whole feel really up beat about things in general but the visa thing - OMG what a pain in the a**e. Our meds were sent in in mid June, we were told that was all they were waiting for to finalise the visa's.
Our migration agent reckon they emailed our case officer 2 weeks ago, I emailed him last week - still nothing.

Our journey believe it or not started In November 2005 or should I say my husbands journey to a new life started then, mine started when I got on the plane for our reccie trip in March 2006 to meet the company and look round Melbourne and get together with old and new friends some expat, some Aussie.

How long drawn out and frustrating is the visa game - from my perspective very, i've been riding the rollercoaster of emotions, happy sad, wanting to go, not wanting to go. hubby's was made redundant part way through, i've been in and out of work like a yoyo.

I think we must be in LIMBO land. I suppose one day we might know either way what the heck is going on? lol

Jens
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Hi

I am also hoping to get out to melbourne at some point (hopefully by the end of the year....visa application recv 1st of June and have frontloaded meds and pc)

Sponsored for an stni 137 as a secondary teacher.

Strange question perhaps, but seems like there are lots of couples and families going....anyone going on their own like me???? Feeling pretty scared about it at the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.