Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:00 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by estherg
Hi!

Can anyone tell me some good areas for young families, do not know where
to begin . So when / if we go out in summer we can have alook round some areas. Aussie friend just said about Zones, lost me!!

Cheers Esther x
Unless you have a general idea of where you want to be then it's not easy to give you areas. There are so many places that will probably suit you as a young family but Melbourne and surrounding suburbs covers such a wide area that it really does mean that you need to come over and drive around N, S, E and W of the city to see where you like.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

liverpool ryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
Unless you have a general idea of where you want to be then it's not easy to give you areas. There are so many places that will probably suit you as a young family but Melbourne and surrounding suburbs covers such a wide area that it really does mean that you need to come over and drive around N, S, E and W of the city to see where you like.
hi only just found your thread. we to hope to move to melbourne around may 07 if we get our visa's. OH is an electrician (industrial), where would you recommend for him to get work? we were looking a gisborn but unsure if there is industrial sites around there? sylvia
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:30 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liverpool ryan
hi only just found your thread. we to hope to move to melbourne around may 07 if we get our visa's. OH is an electrician (industrial), where would you recommend for him to get work? we were looking a gisborn but unsure if there is industrial sites around there? sylvia
Hi Sylvia

I don't know the area you have mentioned so can't help with the work situation there. We live in Pakenham which is within Gippsland and love it here. There is a place called Dandenong which is about 20mins drive from here which is very industrial with lots of variety of companies. Try putting your question about Gisborn on Britvics http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/ as this forum is purely for people moving to Victoria and someone on there may be able to help you better than I can. Good luck.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TazDevil
Oh my goodness.... we leave England in 88 days (not that I am counting or anything!!!!) We arrive in Melbourne on Sunday 24 June - I am feeling the nerves starting to kick in!

Can't wait to meet up - the photos Bordy looked fab.

Tania
We arrive a week later! I'm not counting the days yet though so if you just keep me updated on your days left and I'll add 9 we'll be about there!

Buzzy
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:36 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Ive got a few pics around Melbourne here if you want in the mean time.

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=21781
Thanks for those pics Bordy. I really enjoyed looking at them. Do you have any of your local area?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:09 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kapri
Thanks for those pics Bordy. I really enjoyed looking at them. Do you have any of your local area?
Not really Kapri but heres a few websites of things around this area.

http://walkabout.com.au/locations/VI...llyUpper.shtml

http://walkabout.com.au/locations/VI...reeGully.shtml

http://www.bluedandenongs.com.au/homepage.html

http://www.katandragardens.com.au/ywalks.html

http://www.grantsonsherbrooke.com.au/locate.htm
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:24 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
We arrive a week later! I'm not counting the days yet though so if you just keep me updated on your days left and I'll add 9 we'll be about there!

Buzzy
We're 18 weeks today
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Ducati Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

Could anyone tell me the name of the railway company run by the state, ie, Sydneys is Railcorp

thanks nick
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ducati Kid
Could anyone tell me the name of the railway company run by the state, ie, Sydneys is Railcorp

thanks nick
Its Connex if you put in search engine you will get timetables and line details,

Cheryl
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Ducati Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Its Connex if you put in search engine you will get timetables and line details,

Cheryl
Thanks cheryl

looking at there website Connex run the trains, What i am after is the company that actually owns the tracks, like in the UK Network Rail, and in Sydney Railcorp.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ducati Kid
Thanks cheryl

looking at there website Connex run the trains, What i am after is the company that actually owns the tracks, like in the UK Network Rail, and in Sydney Railcorp.
OK sorry about that below is an excerpt from Vic gov website

"The Victorian government's contribution is access to the 517 kilometre fibre optic network being used by its regional rail authority, VicTrack, to provide improved signalling in rural areas and enable high-speed trains to Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong and Traralgon.

Hope this helps?

Cheryl
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:13 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

*BUMP*

So how about an update ??

Who's still planning to go to Melbourne or has finally made it there ??

Lee
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
*BUMP*

Lee
Me.

I made it to Melbourne.

And it's great!

Buzzy
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:30 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Me.

I made it to Melbourne.

And it's great!

Buzzy
lucky you

enjoying it ???
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:32 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
*BUMP*

Lee
Well Im about to...................

Were booked on the Singapore Airlines Flight from Heathrow on 4th August. Absolutely bricking it now!!!!
Weve been sitting on deckchairs, sleeping on mattresses on uncarpeted floors, using up nasty tinned food and back of the freezer stuff and surrounded by half filled cardboard boxes while slowy, my wordly goods are sold off one by one on e-bay. Im absolutely shattered and stressed with all the moving of stuff to my Mums and I dont finish work till the 2nd!!!.

So far, this has been one very long, hard trek for just me and my daughter - but living proof that it is possible to do this as a lone parent if youre detrmined and organised. I think its made my daughter and I much closer - but I guess the toughest parts are yet to come????

Sevenseas arrive next Friday to sail my goods away on the ocean and Ive just booked first three weeks accomodation - got a good deal at the Toorak Manor and then The Melbourne Oasis in a twin room (£139 for 7 nights) - hotel accomodation is soooo expensive when your on a budget!!! Im so hoping to secure a long term rental asap.....I start work on the 4th September!!! And have to get daughter in school!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!

For anyone taking the plunge remember this....................

'Life doesnt just happen to you.....YOU happen to life - so go grab it!'

Best of Luck all you out there!

Diane.

Last edited by Dianej; Jul 26th 2007 at 9:34 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.