Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:53 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Dianej
The reason I chose Melbourne over Perth was that there seemed to be a great deal of happier and contented expats living in Melbourne with more positive things to say about their chosen destination and to date Ive hardly read a bad word said about the place
Diane
I've noticed this too Diane.
Most of the complaints I have heard are either about missing home which would happen wherever you are or that it's too big (not a problem for me).
I haven't heard one complaint about the weather from the people that live there (apart from gets a bit cold in winter). Most of the weather complaints seem to be from people who don't live there. I guess there's always Queensland for a winter holiday.
Another thing I have noticed is that there is not the bitching on the Britvics site that you get with some of the other regional sites. Melbourne obviously attracts a better sort of expat
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Can I join this one? We are in NE Victoria and they let us visit for the Melbourne meets . We have been here about 18 months now and are settled, just got to save up for a house now .
Nicky
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kapri
Every time i log on to expats I look for any info re: Melbourne but most people seem to be heading for Perth or GC.
So here is the official Melbourne thread. Who's going there? When? Who's been there? For how long? What's good? What's bad? What's indifferent?
The Perthies have their own thread for contacts so I thought we should have a Melbourne one.
I'll kick it off.
I'm aiming to be there by the end of this year. I've never been there despite having been to other parts of Australia. My reason for going to Melbourne is that it's the only place my OH would consider but now I've started researching it I'm feeling very excited.
It never gets a look in on Wanted down under so I even started watching Neighbours to get my fix of it
Who else is going there/ there already?

We've been here in Melbourne just over 7 months, we havent managed to settle though, like many people that dont settle in Melbourne, we feel its just too big, (we came from a relativly small town in the Uk). It's a lovely city, the beaches are great, theres tonnes to do any day of the week, it's just not us though, We're moving to Adelaide next month and cant wait!!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:16 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Good I hate bitching
So hopefully i'm going to the right place
I hope Melburnians are a friendly lot aswell as the expats who are there and going there.

Jen
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
We've been here in Melbourne just over 7 months, we havent managed to settle though, like many people that dont settle in Melbourne, we feel its just too big, (we came from a relativly small town in the Uk). It's a lovely city, the beaches are great, theres tonnes to do any day of the week, it's just not us though, We're moving to Adelaide next month and cant wait!!
Just out of interest, did you consider any of the regional towns rather than another city?
Good luck with your move to Adelaide.
Nicky
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering that. There are lots of lovely villages around the Dandenong Ranges (and elsewhere, I'm sure) - I feel well removed from 'city' life, but we are only 40 mins away from the CBD (and actually visit often, as I love the city).

R
Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:45 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Elsternwick, and been here for two fantastic years.

Got here in Jan 05 on a temp visa, which turned into PR in the July.

Elsternwick is a great suburb....2 kms from the sea and 8kms from the CBD.
Very 'European' in character, as has a large Jewish/Eastern European community.
It has every shop/ammenity down one street...Glen Huntly Road - including trams and train station - with quiet residential roads off it.

Some very good schools in the area too.

And me (that may be seen to be a problem by some )

If you want more specific info...then PM me
Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We're hoping to move to Melbourne by the end of this year, visa application in, just waiting!

We were both in Melbourne 9 years ago and loved it. We considered Perth, but decided that overall Melbourne had everything we wanted. Can't wait to get there!

Dolly
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:00 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JenJen
OH new employer in Australia is sposnoring us on an ENS 121.
Still haven't even had confirmation that the application was received and it went in on the 29th should have been received by 30 - 31st January.

Jen
Yours will be quicker than mine then!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dianej
Yours will be quicker than mine then!
Lol I was hoping it would be quick but I have this feeling it's going to drag out.
Think ours might be the first ENS to take months to get lol. I'm quite a patient person (I am honest ) But this whole things doing my head in now.
I'm one of those ppl who once you've said ok lets go i'd rather be there tomorrow than have months to dwell on who I hav to leave behind, wether i'll make friends out there or end up a recluse, worry about will my furniture be ok getting out there, will the kids settle ok, financially will it work out - yes my parents should have made my middle name worrier lol though to be fair this addiction to worrying started nearly 9 years ago when my son was born I developed cotton wool and hovering syndrome lol

I have never been to any other part of Australia though on the Wanted Down Unders I always likd the look of Queensland. I do like Melbourne

Jen
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

We are ping-pongers heading back to Melbourne in May (fingers-x'ed...not yet finalised but I'm hoping so). I'm having an 'excited' day today so thought I would post (some days I'm scared stiff ).

Not sure where we are going. We lived in Kew last time but can't afford to go there now. I'd love to live somewhere like Mt Eliza but I think that will be too far out of CBD for us. So, prob looking somewhere like Beaumaris, Carnegie, Mentone.

Anyone going with babies/toddlers? One of mine will have just turned 3, and the other one 13 months.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:50 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

We'll arrive in Melbourne on 30th March!!!!! We'll be staying with friends for the first 2 days then at the Abode appartments in St Kilda for the next 10 days or so while we sort out a 6 month rental. We're hoping for Clifton Hill/Brighton/Beaumaris/Hampton areas to rent and later to hopefully buy in.
Sooooooo exciting. Wishing the time to fly by now but trying to take the time we have to arrange everything that needs doing. Shipping company came last week and took all our stuff and the dog gets his blood tests next Wednesday. It all happens very fast as soon as you get that visa grant!
I've got an interview lined up for when I arrive in Melbourne as well.
Still can't believe it's really hapening.

*pearly*
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi guys,

We'll arrive in Melbourne on 30th March!!!!! We'll be staying with friends for the first 2 days then at the Abode appartments in St Kilda for the next 10 days or so while we sort out a 6 month rental. We're hoping for Clifton Hill/Brighton/Beaumaris/Hampton areas to rent and later to hopefully buy in.
Sooooooo exciting. Wishing the time to fly by now but trying to take the time we have to arrange everything that needs doing. Shipping company came last week and took all our stuff and the dog gets his blood tests next Wednesday. It all happens very fast as soon as you get that visa grant!
I've got an interview lined up for when I arrive in Melbourne as well.
Still can't believe it's really hapening.

*pearly*
CONGRATULATIONS
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:39 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
We are ping-pongers heading back to Melbourne in May (fingers-x'ed...not yet finalised but I'm hoping so). I'm having an 'excited' day today so thought I would post (some days I'm scared stiff ).

Not sure where we are going. We lived in Kew last time but can't afford to go there now. I'd love to live somewhere like Mt Eliza but I think that will be too far out of CBD for us. So, prob looking somewhere like Beaumaris, Carnegie, Mentone.

Anyone going with babies/toddlers? One of mine will have just turned 3, and the other one 13 months.
Yes, we're going with 2 toddlers, both will be just over two years old when we arrive in Melbourne.

When did you last live in Melbourne hidden paw?

Buzzy
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes, we're going with 2 toddlers, both will be just over two years old when we arrive in Melbourne.

When did you last live in Melbourne hidden paw?

Buzzy
When I was younger and wrinkle-free....I mean child-free. 2002-2003 for 18 months. Been away 3 years and had two children since then. So going this time round is completely different....so many things to think about for the Little People!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.