Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Sydney?

Melbourne or Sydney?

Old May 22nd 2012, 1:23 pm
✡-CollDaisy-✡

colldaisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne or Sydney?

where would you choose?

I cant decide where to go....I've got my WHV sorted now, saving to book flights in next few weeks, going to come over to Oz in Feb 2013, looking hopefully to stay (so hoping to gain sponsorship)..... I have a Masters in Town Planning which I am hoping to use for the first time!... (after not being able to find work in Planning in the UK)
I also have years experience in bar/waitress work and various administration jobs

Where would you guys advise?
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne or Sydney?

They say Sydney is the girl you have an amazing one night stand with, but Melbourne is the girl you settle down and marry.

Personally, on a WHV, I wouldnt limit yourself to just two choices. There are a lot of large cities in Australia, and I would imagine most if not all are cheaper to live in than the two you mentioned.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:22 pm
✡-CollDaisy-✡

Ok.....gimme ideas of where else?
I am obviously looking for cheap living but also where there is going to be a good amount of jobs?
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, can't help with that. I live 'up north' and although there does seem to be plenty seasonal bar/restaurant work due to the transient population here, it is quite expensive to live here. There are a good few backpacker / hostel accommodation in the city though x
Old May 22nd 2012, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by colldaisy
Ok.....gimme ideas of where else?
I am obviously looking for cheap living but also where there is going to be a good amount of jobs?
Seriously? You dont have google maps on your PC/Apple?

Brisbane, Darwin, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra.........And those are just the major cities.....

Old May 22nd 2012, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

where would you choose?

I cant decide where to go....I've got my WHV sorted now, saving to book flights in next few weeks, going to come over to Oz in Feb 2013, looking hopefully to stay (so hoping to gain sponsorship)..... I have a Masters in Town Planning which I am hoping to use for the first time!... (after not being able to find work in Planning in the UK)
I also have years experience in bar/waitress work and various administration jobs

Where would you guys advise?
I am sure that either city would be just fine, just go to the one that you feel most drawn to. Your chances of getting sponsorship with no experience are not high, something to be aware of.
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:54 am
✡-CollDaisy-✡

Thanks but obviously its the experience I'm looking for first
...thanks for the advice guys.....@ Reaver, yeh obviously I have google maps etc, what I meant by give me advice was advice on which areas may possibly have more work etc....sorry if I didnt explain myself properly.

I have been to Adelaide and Sydney so far....I love Adelaide but I am dubious as to how much work there would be there?...
Old May 23rd 2012, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but obviously its the experience I'm looking for first
...thanks for the advice guys.....@ Reaver, yeh obviously I have google maps etc, what I meant by give me advice was advice on which areas may possibly have more work etc....sorry if I didnt explain myself properly.

I have been to Adelaide and Sydney so far....I love Adelaide but I am dubious as to how much work there would be there?...
There will be jobs in Melbourne and Sydney. Choose the city you want to go to.
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:26 am
✡-CollDaisy-✡

thanks guys
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There will be jobs in Melbourne and Sydney. Choose the city you want to go to.
To be fair, there will be jobs anywhere you go, and it depends on what you want to do, and what you are prepared to do.

At the end of the day, there could be a million jobs in any city or town, but none of them might be the job for you, while in another place there may only be one job, but its perfect for you and you're the person you want for the job. These examples are a little extreme but they highlight Im trying to make in that by limiting your choices, your also limiting your opportunities in more ways than one.

Good luck.

Old May 23rd 2012, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

In all seriousness when it comes to Melbourne V Sydney you may as well flip a coin.

Makes me almost wonder if there are other Cities around the world with such similar attributes.

Sure Sydney has the Harbour and the fantastic breathtaking vistas.... but after a while of living there you'd probably visit it as much from Sydney as you would from Melbourne. Melbourne doesn't have a Iconic centre like Sydney... but is probably slightly easier to get around. They both have fantastic inner city areas... With Melbournes probably being slightly more diverse and larger.

So take your pick and go back to flipping that coin.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:41 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

both cities are very equal in many ways

both have cheap transport
Sydney has trains and buses
Melbourne has trams trains and buses

both have vibrant city centres with lots to do, although at weekends Sydneys cbd is deserted and life revolves around the parks and harbour area

both have loads of restaurants and coffee bars
both have back packers accomodation ,accomodation is cheaper in Melbourne.

Sydney has the harbour and parks, Melbourne has the river, the port, parks and laneaways. Sydney is prettier and the harbour makes a huge focal point whereas Melbourne seems more spread out and has always been more a working port that is changing with Southbank, Docklands etc.

Melbourne is growing faster than Sydney so town planning may be happening more there than in Sydney
Old May 25th 2012, 3:44 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

sydney

because i live in this city that's gorgeous, like me.

also it contributes roughly a quarter of the aussie economy.