Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Suburbs

Melbourne Suburbs

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 10:57 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Suburbs

So what you expect to pay for a studio/one bed unit in the city,close to the Royal childrens hospital,any ideas ??
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Originally Posted by GarryP
Remember, there are toll roads in the east - so any quicker times using those should be weighed against the cost incurred.
Much of the East would not use the Monash or the Eastlink to commute though, I can't imagine anyone living bayside for instance would use either.
There's only one toll road in the east - EastLink. The Monash is not a toll road.

The other toll road in Melbourne is CityLink which links east, west and north and acts as a city bypass.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
So what you expect to pay for a studio/one bed unit in the city,close to the Royal childrens hospital,any ideas ??
Looking at www.domain.com.au, I would estimate around $300,000ish would get you a one bedder, studio a bit cheaper. Depends whether you're happy with a refurbished block, or want a newer-build. Around Flemington/Parkville you're more likely to be looking are older refurbished blocks of flats.

ETA, North Melbourne, which is basically across the road from the Royal Children's will be a bit dearer - seems to be more around the $350-500k mark, which IMHO is wayyyy too much to pay for a one bedroom unit.

Last edited by Kiwikaye; Jun 2nd 2013 at 1:40 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:06 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I think you just stuck your hand up to produce that one. Needs a Z-axis too, of availability of good curries/fish and chips/sausages/pubs showing premier league in the local area.
OK, here are a few selected results derived from the google traffic info, for locations mentioned as being potentially affordable (except Yarraville)

Points to note:
  • As expected, those toll roads make quite a difference to commute times for the locations towards the east and south east - although even the north shows improvement from the airport toll road.
  • Whilst Point Cook suffers from the overcrowded M1, it's only maybe 7 mins more than the progression seen in other locations (although all increase significantly). It also seems to be around the junctions where new traffic merges, rather than the bridge, that causes most of the jam.
  • If you don't want to pay the toll, Mount Waverley sucks.
  • Expect to see a 50min commute, or pay for the privilege of avoiding it. Some train journeys are shorter, if you are within easy reach of the station at both ends (eg 28 mins for Point Cook, + getting to/from the stations).
  • Even out as far as Bacchus Marsh doesn't significantly increase the journey times - relatively clear straight roads offsets the greater distance.
  • Don't work in the CBD if you can help it, commuting sucks.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Your figures for Mordialloc are about bang on from personal experience, although I can't see how anyone commuting from Mordialloc to the CBD would encounter a toll road unless they went a long way out of their way to find one!

BB
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Your figures for Mordialloc are about bang on from personal experience, although I can't see how anyone commuting from Mordialloc to the CBD would encounter a toll road unless they went a long way out of their way to find one!
Basically it's Google finding the quickest route, with and without toll roads. I think it was to do with the route taken close in to the city - which in rush hour can benefit from taking the toll roads to avoid the jams.

I was particularly interested with the pattern of the hold ups in the west - it wasn't the bridge directly, it was the merging of traffic at each junction. Also, you could easily live out towards Bacchus Marsh and commute, the impact of rush hour muted the closer distances of nearer suburbs - it would probably be a nicer drive as well.

Put it together and there is an awful lot they could do to optimise things better, with satellite towns having fast connections into the city being workable. They would probably more tractable that the slow creeping growth outward from the periphery we currently have.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to see how much difference there is for Mount Waverley with and without tolls. Personal experience differs I have to say. Right in peak hour, neither is particularly flash but I don't actually think Dandenong Road is all that much slower than the Monash carpark TBH.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

You mentioned Mordialloc was a bit pricey, but that is a lovely area so maybe consider Chelsea which I think just fits in to your 30km range of the city & is more affordable. Edithvale is also an option but doesn't quite have the local infrastructure of a Chelsea or a Mordialloc. (Still has shops, places to eat & a train station though)

Also when it comes to looking at outer suburbs don't use Domain, use realestate.com.au. A lot of the outer suburb agents don't use Domain, it's better for the metro areas.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:42 am
Banned

neil32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know what the travel costs are form point cook to Melbourne center?

Looking online a Daily ticket for zone 1 & 2 is $11.84 or 28 day + pass $6.64 a day? $185 for a 28 day pass

Last edited by neil32; Jun 12th 2013 at 4:55 am.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by neil32
Anyone know what the travel costs are form point cook to Melbourne center?

Looking online a Daily ticket for zone 1 & 2 is $11.84 or 28 day + pass $6.64 a day? $185 for a 28 day pass
If you go via Laverton it is zone 1 only - which is why the parking is chocka from early in the morning.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:26 am
Banned

If you go via Laverton it is zone 1 only - which is why the parking is chocka from early in the morning.

Thanks, and Laverton is about 6km from point cook according to google maps, that about right?

Are the fares correct I posted?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:41 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/metropolitan-myki-fares/

Code:
               Daily          Weekly         Monthly         Yearly
Zone 1           $7            $35           $133.3           $1397.50
Zone 1+2         $11.84        $59.2         $205.84          $2158
I think that's right
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/metropolitan-myki-fares/

Code:
               Daily          Weekly         Monthly         Yearly
Zone 1           $7            $35           $133.3           $1397.50
Zone 1+2         $11.84        $59.2         $205.84          $2158
I think that's right
Yehp I think so as well... One thing just in case, new people to Melbourne might not realise that met ticket includes all trams and buses within your zone as well.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered Altona Meadows?
Older suburb than point cook, but still a new(er) suburb. Most of it is walkable to Laverton station (via a bridge over the freeway) and it has reasonable facilities. One of my mates lives there and even says the internet is good- and you get a lot of house for your money.
Sadly schools are still poor.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yehp I think so as well... One thing just in case, new people to Melbourne might not realise that met ticket includes all trams and buses within your zone as well.
Thanks so the Metropolitan myki is all my travel in zone 1 & 2, bus, tram and train

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.