Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne schools and places to live

Melbourne schools and places to live

Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:48 am
UK pensions in Australia

JPOC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne schools and places to live

We’re planning a move to Melbourne in Jan 2019 and are researching schools and places to live. My wife’s research leads her to Brighton/Sandringham as we’d like to be within striking distance of a beach, the city with a “village life” environment.

Our girls will be nearly 5 and 9 next Jan and we’d ideally like a smaller school, where we could cycle/walk to. Brighton rents don’t seem to offer much value in terms of size and outdoor space. As for schools we’re probably looking at Catholic options as the girls would qualify once we meet the catchment criteria. An all girls school would be great, but that’s a nice to have more than a priority.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JPOC; Apr 8th 2018 at 10:01 am.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne schools and places to live

What visa are you on?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:48 am
UK pensions in Australia

Initially a 457.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The 457 has been abolished.

Two new categories have replaced it with different criteria and with one category, there is no pathway to residence.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:17 am
UK pensions in Australia

It will be employer sponsored and when I spoke with them last year it was a 457 so i assumed it would be the same. But it seems that assumption belongs in the same box as most assumptions
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes indeed. I encourage you to visit the Department's web site to see what employer-sponsored visas have replaced it, if your occupation/situation still qualifies, and then contact the employer again.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:28 am
UK pensions in Australia

Thanks, I shall indeed.

I did check my occupation/skills still qualifies for a PR application after the changes in Jan, but didn’t realize the 457 had been abolished. The plan was to go through the vest assess process in conjunction with an application for a temporary visa.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 11:47 am
UK pensions in Australia

Apparently the temporary visa will be a 482.

Any guidance my OP would be appreciated.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Beaumaris also has a village feeling and is worth considering.

I enjoyed my time living there, but like Brighton, it can be pricey.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 2:30 am
UK pensions in Australia

Thanks Aries. I’ll be heading out that direction at the weekend for a look around.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 1:08 am
Just Joined

stomel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey JPOC - how exciting for you to be in the planning stages of this journey. We arrived here from Scotland in November 2017 and I recommend the more you can put in place before you get here the better, especially with 2 youngsters. Finding a place to live can be daunting and we spent a week just driving around sussing out areas. We found the rental market a real challenge to negotiate as there were many families chasing each property, and you may need to be prepared to offer more than the advertised monthly rent if you want a place badly enough. Choosing the 'right' school is a real consideration and you will most likely be spoilt for choice - certainly where we are (north-east suburbs) I am blown away with how many schools are within such a relatively small geographical area.