Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne to port fairy and back tips

Melbourne to port fairy and back tips

Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of
Default Melbourne to port fairy and back tips

Hiya,
We are going to Melbourne and have from Saturday til Monday to have a trip on GOR.
Thought the distance would be to port fairy and back but maybe stop on the way down for one night, then one night at port fairy and back to Melbourne for Monday night.
Any hints or tips? What should we stop off and see and what other towns should we stay at?
Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne to port fairy and back tips

It's all good down there, if you have kids watch out for car sickness that road really twists and turns.

Best 3 places to stop at are Torquay, Apollo Bay or Lorne. You'd best stay at Lorne though as it's closest to Port Fairy and the GOR although short in distance, it's a slightly tricky drive. Can't say I've any tips as it's been a long while since I've been down that way. It's all good really. If it were summer everywhere is good.... but Wye river in particular.

Two stand outs at this time of year are the Whales and Shipwrecked at Flagstaff hill in Warrnambool.

I'd definitely advise Shipwrecked in Warrnambool.... great at this time of year.

For me Warrnambool is not only the major highlight of the Great Ocean Rd, it's also one of the best towns in Victoria.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent suggestions by OE. Aireys Inlet is perhaps a 4th place to add to the possible stops list. Torquay is the widely accepted start of the GOR and a must to visit - good range of shops and facilities and magnificent beaches, both front and back (i.e. calmer and wilder) next to each other. Here's some Torquay pics from March when we were there. Another tip is to go through Anglesea (at the golf course you'll see lots of wallabies and kangas which can be photographed up close and it also has excellent beaches and shops).
The main beach at Torquay:

The surf beach at Torquay which is a few hundred metres around the headland from the main beach:

You know you are in Australia when school PE lessons include lifesaving and surfing instruction!

Anglesea Golf Club kangas:

Old Jul 5th 2015, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

How very timely. We're leaving for Melbourne via the GOR from Adelaide this morning. Any suggestions for a different but scenic rather than fast route on the return?
Old Jul 6th 2015, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, definitely.... From Melbourne to Echuca, then the Murray Valley Highway up past Swan Hill and Mildura. Then pick up the Sturt Highway from Mildura to Renmark and beyond. It's all the rivers run country along the Murray and there are plenty of places to see along the way... The part between Mildura and Renmark could be a tad boring depending on your tastes as it's fairly barren, but there is *beauty* in that as well.

It's been so long that I've been along that route, that I wouldn't have any proper recommendations as places of interest to stop and look, save for Echuca.

Not sure which way to direct you from Blanchtown in SA though.

** according to the grey nomads websites.

I'd like to do Echuca to Murray Bridge and beyond by boat one day.