Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne house prices fall...

Melbourne house prices fall...

Old Sep 1st 2004, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Melbourne house prices fall...

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...oneclick=true#
Old Sep 1st 2004, 11:52 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Melbourne house prices fall...

Some areas of melbourne have dropped a lot, but others have actually increased.

This link Melbourne Values shows that Houses in the Post Code area 3000 for Melbourne have dropped by 21% during the last 12 months, but it states that the overall inner urban area has gone up by 5%. Units in the same areas have both gone down by 5% and 2% respectively.

You can enter any postcode or suburb name, onto this site, to get figures for that specific area.

Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Hi ABC,

Yiour link doesnt seem to be working (or is it my PC), could you try again please.

many thanks,
65KK
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:40 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Must be your PC. Worked on mine ok & it tells me my house has increased by 13% .
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Must be your PC. Worked on mine ok & it tells me my house has increased by 13% .
Well, the price in the middle of the houses sold in your suburb, arranged from most to least expensive (which were reported), during the June quarter, was 13% up on the previous quarter which is not quite the same thing as my house has increased by 13%. I thought you were Ferntree Gully Bordy which had a median of $259,875 in the June qtr and $278,000 in the March qtr - down 6.5% (to quote the REIV report). There are over 300 suburbs and the changes ranged from Toorak up 12.5% (in 3 months) to Mornington down 30.3%. It depends where you live and what house type you have - averages can be misleading. Please shoot me if granny and sucking eggs applies!

OzTennis
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:30 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Well, the price in the middle of the houses sold in your suburb, arranged from most to least expensive (which were reported), during the June quarter, was 13% up on the previous quarter which is not quite the same thing as my house has increased by 13%. I thought you were Ferntree Gully Bordy which had a median of $259,875 in the June qtr and $278,000 in the March qtr - down 6.5% (to quote the REIV report). There are over 300 suburbs and the changes ranged from Toorak up 12.5% (in 3 months) to Mornington down 30.3%. It depends where you live and what house type you have - averages can be misleading. Please shoot me if granny and sucking eggs applies!

OzTennis
Yeah FTG, postcode 3156. We were a bit lucky though, we bought the land 3 yesrs ago for 90,000 just before the prices went through the roof. So $155,000 to build the house plus the $90,000 was our outlay.
Last year a piece of vacant land across the road from us, same size of plot as ours went for $250,000. Crazy Crazy but I'm not complaining, just lucky to have bought at right time.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Its broken for me too....
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Hels
Its broken for me too....
Here's another link, to the same info but on a different web site.

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/snapshot/

I agree with OzTennis when he said "It depends where you live and what house type you have - averages can be misleading"

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah FTG, postcode 3156. We were a bit lucky though, we bought the land 3 yesrs ago for 90,000 just before the prices went through the roof. So $155,000 to build the house plus the $90,000 was our outlay.
Last year a piece of vacant land across the road from us, same size of plot as ours went for $250,000. Crazy Crazy but I'm not complaining, just lucky to have bought at right time.
Canny Scots know how to spot a bargain don't they - I've been well taught by Mrs OzT and by my years of living here. I'm puzzled as to how the REIV report says FTG prices fell but the other thing says postcode 3156 has had a substantial rise (measuring same thing?) Are you on the city side or the Upwey side of the turnoff for Mt Dandenong?

Completely off track but we were watching Location, Location, Location on Ch 4 on Tuesday and it was in the Scottish Borders. The couple looked at houses in Gala and Duns before settling on a property near Lilliesleaf which had wonderful views over the river (Tweed?) and rolling hills.

OzTennis
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:11 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

26% for us.. no wonder the blokey wants to sell so quickly
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 12:38 pm
The Godfather

Canny Scots know how to spot a bargain don't they - I've been well taught by Mrs OzT and by my years of living here. I'm puzzled as to how the REIV report says FTG prices fell but the other thing says postcode 3156 has had a substantial rise (measuring same thing?) Are you on the city side or the Upwey side of the turnoff for Mt Dandenong?

Completely off track but we were watching Location, Location, Location on Ch 4 on Tuesday and it was in the Scottish Borders. The couple looked at houses in Gala and Duns before settling on a property near Lilliesleaf which had wonderful views over the river (Tweed?) and rolling hills.

OzTennis
We are on the Upwey side of Burwood Highway but a fair bit before you actually come to Upwey. We are on a hill with great views over Lysterfield & Rowville & out over Whats left of Waverley Park & the Police academy etc.

Lilliesleaf is a great little village, I have a friend who lives there. Two pubs & loads of character. Sean Connerys son Jason also lives there or did anyway before I left.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are on the Upwey side of Burwood Highway but a fair bit before you actually come to Upwey. We are on a hill with great views over Lysterfield & Rowville & out over Whats left of Waverley Park & the Police academy etc.

Lilliesleaf is a great little village, I have a friend who lives there. Two pubs & loads of character. Sean Connerys son Jason also lives there or did anyway before I left.
Yep, I know almost exactly where you live from your description.

I just looked at the map and Lilliesleaf isn't too far away from Selkirk.

Silly me too, you asked recently about a Still Game new series and I said I wasn't sure. I absolutely love watching it but I still think of it as Chewin' the Fat and the name didn't register immediately. Jack and Victor are brilliant and the 3rd series is meant to be on the way in the (Scottish) winter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/che...or/still_game/

Hope everyone enjoys their meet-up at the Village Green on Sat!

OzTennis
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:14 pm
The Godfather

Yep, I know almost exactly where you live from your description.

I just looked at the map and Lilliesleaf isn't too far away from Selkirk.

Silly me too, you asked recently about a Still Game new series and I said I wasn't sure. I absolutely love watching it but I still think of it as Chewin' the Fat and the name didn't register immediately. Jack and Victor are brilliant and the 3rd series is meant to be on the way in the (Scottish) winter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/che...or/still_game/

Hope everyone enjoys their meet-up at the Village Green on Sat!

OzTennis
Indeedy they are brilliant. I got the second series on video & loaned it to an Aussie I work with but he brought it back next day & said he needed f****ng Subtitles.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Indeedy they are brilliant. I got the second series on video & loaned it to an Aussie I work with but he brought it back next day & said he needed f****ng Subtitles.
But surely he knew what the 6 titles of episode 2 series meant - Aff, Oot, Big Yin, Cairds, Swottin and Hoalidays! The BBC were going to show Chewin' the Fat and Still Game in England but felt they couldn't do it without subtitles - seriously! I'll keep an eye out for when the new series is to be shown. Long story but we have a new mature aged student teacher from Newcastle, NSW. His wife comes from Gatehouse of Fleet so he took the chance to do a teaching round and visit the in-law's at the same time. He was just saying that he saw a really funny video that his father-in-law put on called aff. We all looked blankly until when he described it we knew it was Still Game and that's when the penny dropped with Bordy! He too said he couldn't understand a lot of it but thought it was really funny.

Footy - I don't look at the scores so as not to spoil our week later program but my father let slip that the Bombers got into the finals at the expense of the Dockers - sudden death over the weekend?

(Incidentally, did you know Alan Brown in Selkirk? Accountant, tennis player, did some coaching at the club, used to live and work in Dumfries which is where I got to know him. His brother Graham played county tennis with me and they hailed from Kelso originally, G played rugby for Kelso but has lived in Edinburgh for a long time as he teaches at Stew-Mel)

OzTennis
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 2:45 pm
The Godfather

Sorry for Hijacking this thread.

Yes Oz, re Footy. Bombers scraped in thanks to Freeo losing last 4 games.
Bombers play Melbourne Sat afternoon at the "G" in a sudden death play off.

I know of Alan Brown in Selkirk yes, don't know personally but I remember where his office was.
Good to see Tennis on the up in Scotland. Don't we have the number 1 ranked female in UK now??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.