Melbourne Cup

Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default Melbourne Cup

Anyone done the Cup day itself, what did you think? Something I'd like to have done to add to things like the F1, tennis etc, just heard that it might be a bit manic & busy. In the UK I had two very different experiences of main days of these kind of events. Cheltenham Gold Cup day was great, not too busy, easy enough to bet & get a drink whereas Grand National day was horrendous. Too busy couldn't get a drink & just plain too busy & stressful.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Cup

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Anyone done the Cup day itself, what did you think? Something I'd like to have done to add to things like the F1, tennis etc, just heard that it might be a bit manic & busy. In the UK I had two very different experiences of main days of these kind of events. Cheltenham Gold Cup day was great, not too busy, easy enough to bet & get a drink whereas Grand National day was horrendous. Too busy couldn't get a drink & just plain too busy & stressful.
It's one for the bucket list.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:45 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
To be honest I think Caulfield Cup / Cox Plate and Oaks are better days. Unless you're in the Birdcage or one of the other marquees you'll just end up wandering around drinking looking at all the tragics puking / pissing next to the wheelie bins / fighting...a friend of mine swears blind that she saw someone having a poo in the carpark a couple of years back
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:32 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
To be honest I think Caulfield Cup / Cox Plate and Oaks are better days.
Cox Plate FTW
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Completely irrelevant but National Geographic channel are doing a series on Dubai airport. Last night's episode showed the first ever A380 flight from Dubai to Melbourne in 2012 and the flight carried the Melbourne Cup trophy (which Emirates sponsors).

I've always thought for what it's worth, if you have a wish list, you tick these things off and not substitutes (Cox Plate, Caulfield Cup or whatever). Do both by all means but 'why have cotton when you can have silk'?

I've only been once, to tick it off.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
Cox Plate FTW
And the famous TV comment which really happened - when Princess Anne presented the trophies at the Oxford/Cambridge boat race - and there's Princess Anne kissing the Cox of the winning crew.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was invited to the Grand National last time I was in Liverpool, but 'entertainment' that consists of horses being flogged around the track, some breaking legs on the jumps and having to be put down, didn't appeal.

And before anyone says 'the horses love it' - have you asked them?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I was invited to the Grand National last time I was in Liverpool, but 'entertainment' that consists of horses being flogged around the track, some breaking legs on the jumps and having to be put down, didn't appeal.

And before anyone says 'the horses love it' - have you asked them?
I agree, love racing but the GNat is too much.

Anyway to the op I'd just do it, it's on my bucket list too.
If traveling I can highly recommend the Dubai Gold cup in March. That was an amazing night.