Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Brisbane for a British family?

Melbourne or Brisbane for a British family?

Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:16 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Brisbane for a British family?

Originally Posted by ElleB
Maybe try somewhere on the Sunshine Coast. It's a lovely place to live (however I would stay away from Caboolture). Chancellor state college primary and Buderim primary are great schools.
Oh interesting...I did look at Caboolture actually. What makes you say that? Many thanks!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:01 am
Just Joined

ElleB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABD79
Oh interesting...I did look at Caboolture actually. What makes you say that? Many thanks!
Caboolture is just a bit of a dodgy area with pretty high crime rate and a lot of bogans, just quite unsafe! Someone recently got stabbed at the Caboolture Train Station so I tend to stay away from there!
Old Jul 1st 2017, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Laxor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABD79
This is all great, thank you very much!
So many homes have air conditioning as standard? I know that in the US just about every home does in the warmer states and they get (for the most part) nowhere near as hot as Australia (with the exception of some parts of Nevada and the like). So I would have thought Australia would but then when you said about houses it made me think air consitioning there might not be as standard?
Yes there heatwaves and it a great deal hotter than the UK but for their respective latitudes the likes of Sydney and Melbourne have fairly pathetic summers.

New York, LA, Boston are warmer than Sydney and Melbourne, heck on average July in Toronto is hotter than January in Sydney.

Of course you can add some more digits and humidity to Brisbane's climate though.

My two cents.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 10:45 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne or Brisbane for a British family?

Originally Posted by Laxor
Boston ... warmer than Sydney and Melbourne,
well we never get snow in Sydney or Melbourne, in Boston you have to dig snow to find your car some mornings!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

Australia does get cold. I am in WA but it is near- or below-freezing every night where I am, and as another poster noted, housing here isn't really built for temperature extremes. My house turns into an icebox and I think you will feel that in Melbourne.
Agreed. On Sunday morning, the temperature in my unheated kitchen was lower than that of the fridge - some of the older houses are very poorly insulated!

Nevertheless, that is just one aspect of life here and we love Melbourne overall. I live in the SE suburbs and consider it a great place to raise a family. To the OP, I have no experience of living in Brisbane, having only visited on a couple of occasions, but from those fleeting visits to the CBD, it seemed very pleasant.

Property prices are certainly less expensive - all other things being equal - in BNE than MEL and if I was starting the migration journey now, that would be a consideration.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laxor
Yes there heatwaves and it a great deal hotter than the UK but for their respective latitudes the likes of Sydney and Melbourne have fairly pathetic summers.

New York, LA, Boston are warmer than Sydney and Melbourne, heck on average July in Toronto is hotter than January in Sydney.

Of course you can add some more digits and humidity to Brisbane's climate though.

My two cents.
Does Brisbane get 40's?
Old Jul 5th 2017, 2:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Um.... the OP has posted similar questions across the various boards and subsequently first flounced when she didn't get what she wanted then was banned for trolling. She and her family are not emigrating anywhere.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 2:07 am
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

Currently living in north Brisbane, work in Redcliffe. Would say stay away from Deception bay, low socio economic community. Newport is very nice, but very expensive house price wise. The Redcliffe peninsular is becoming very popular but still has areas of low income properties/communities

Bribie Island is beautiful, but quiet, nice beaches but not a lot happening. Good for a day at the beach.

Lived here for 11 years now, love Brisbane, great climate, love the fact that I can get to the Sunshine coast in 50 mins and Surfers Paradise in 90 mins. Wouldn't change my life for anything. Live close to a large Westfield shopping centre. Chermside is 20 mins away. Feel very safe and have seen two children successfully complete their education here.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 6:46 am
Banned

ASK THE LAW is an unknown quantity at this point

I i have to share my opinion then Melbourne is best, though it is based on my personal experience too. I have been working with a Melbourne Based Digital Marketing Company and i found one thing while working which was an opportunity in Melbourne and the saturated market as compare to Brisbane. So if someone has to relocate there then as per my experience i will suggest that Melbourne is best so the person might get career opportunities in Melbourne exactly like the capital Canberra.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 8:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ASK THE LAW
I i have to share my opinion then Melbourne is best, though it is based on my personal experience too. I have been working with a Melbourne Based Digital Marketing Company and i found one thing while working which was an opportunity in Melbourne and the saturated market as compare to Brisbane. So if someone has to relocate there then as per my experience i will suggest that Melbourne is best so the person might get career opportunities in Melbourne exactly like the capital Canberra.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 9:39 am
Banned

Like I said before it is my experience.
you might be different @ spouse of scouse
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 10:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ASK THE LAW
Like I said before it is my experience.
you might be different @ spouse of scouse
But your post doesn't make any sense! I've read it several times and can't work out what you are trying to say!
And for the record career opportunities in Canberra are not the same as Melbourne - in Canberra many jobs are limited to citizen, as thy are Federal Govt jobs. That rues out many new migrants.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 10:46 am
Banned

By the way, we did not mention the Government Sector.
So your reply did not make any sense at all. Pardon!

<odd link snipped>

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 24th 2017 at 1:29 am. Reason: Link snipped. Advertising avi removed & username not OK so shown the door.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 11:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people still replying to this thread?! The OP was shown the door months ago.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 11:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why are people still replying to this thread?! The OP was shown the door months ago.
To reply to your reply to those replying to the OP who was shown the door for replying in a certain way to those who were relying to her, I was replying to the person who was replying to the OP who was shown the door for replying in a certain way to those who were replying to her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.