Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to the Uk

Moving to the Uk

Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Shearo67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the Uk

Hi i am hoping someone may have some clearer information, after moving to Australia 10 years ago , i have found mysrlf in a position where i am looking into moving back to the uk for good, i haven't taken citizenship here so still have a full uk passport, after phone calls to the uk and internet searches i have so much information that doesnt match what i have bern told to do over the phone, we are needing to find out how my Aussie husband gets a visa rhat allows him to work and stay in the uk, we have been told a settlement visa but when we have searched that it says i have to be there two years before he can join me, any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Uk

Brit in Paris may be along soon with full info , but he may be on his holidays so be patient.
as far as I know, you need a Spouse visa - that's one of the settlement visas - but you need to meet the financial requirements for this Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf
With this your hubby can work immediately he lands in UK.
you can use savings, have a job in UK paying at least £18,600 a year for 6 months (in UK) or have been earning £18,600 for , I think 12 months where you are AND have a job offer in UK for this amount to start within 3 months of returning, or a combination of both! There are many threads here on Spouse visas - use the search button above to find them. The advice will also be to stay and get your citizenship if possible before coming back. A little more detail on yourselves would help members give you correct advice - many have been this route! Such as profession, age, current employment etc.
Have a look at the link and then pop back with your questions.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, it would be a very good idea to obtain your Australian citizenship. It won't affect your British citizenship in any way but it will mean you can return to Australia at any time in the future without visa restrictions.

How old is your husband? Does he have any parents or grandparents born in the UK, Ireland or elsewhere in Europe?

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 21st 2017 at 12:56 am. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:47 am
Just Joined

My husband is 50 and his parents and grandparents, great grandparents were all born in the uk, his parents moved here in the 1950s
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, providing his parents were married at the time of his birth, your husband is a British citizen and needs only to apply for his British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Knew BIP would have the answers!
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Yes they were married when he was born but he was born but he was born in australia, i am finding everything so confusing, i just thought coz i was born and bred there that i could just go home but have been told i need a visa to go home and confusing conflicting information about what we need to do
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shearo67
Yes they were married when he was born but he was born but he was born in australia, i am finding everything so confusing, i just thought coz i was born and bred there that i could just go home but have been told i need a visa to go home and confusing conflicting information about what we need to do
You and your husband are British citizens and are able to live and work in the UK whenever you want to. Your husband will need to apply for a UK passport. Once he has that you are both free to move back. No visa required.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If your husband' parents were British born and bred and were married to one another when your husband was born, then he is British by descent i.e a British citizen. He only needs to get his passport and then you can both enter the UK - no questions asked.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

No, you don't need a visa, just your UK passport but as has been said, do get your Aus citizenship before you leave, it's a good safety net to have. You are very lucky that your DH has British born parents, that makes life so much easier!