Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne advice?

Melbourne advice?

Old May 2nd 2006, 5:18 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne advice?

Landed in Hobart almost 2 weeks ago, homesickness starting to kick in (my wife wanted to come to Oz for 5 years, she is Australian, I wanted to stay in Glasgow).

Anyway, although I have been to, and worked in Hobart before, I am beginning to think that it was the wrong move for me.

So before our shipping crate arrives I am beginning to think about Melbourne.

It could be that I am just wanting to return home full-stop, but today in my head Melbourne is offering me more.

The thing is, I want to harm the car hoons down here, and read on another thread that this silly-twattedness exists in the Melbourne suburbs also.

Is it widespread in Melbourne, like it is down here?
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne advice?

Yes, it is hard to drive anywhere without seeing a hoon or a boy racer, the latter particularly when the sun goes down.

Some areas and roads perhaps attract them more than others though (the Western Ring Road immediately springs to mind!)

To be honest, I don't think you can get away from them, they seem to exist wherever you go in the world.
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I am not sure that Melbourne has more to offer in terms of sensible driving but I am sure it has more to offer in general. What else are you after?
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:50 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I am not sure that Melbourne has more to offer in terms of sensible driving but I am sure it has more to offer in general. What else are you after?
Something similar to Glasgow! (Before anyone laughs, parts of Melbourne remind me of Glasgow, and a Melburnian friend of my wife's living in Glasgow at the time said the reverse!).

I know what the city centre has to offer, been through it a few times.

It's the 'burbs in Melbourne I don't know about, I wouldn't want to stay in one which is predominantly inhabitated by one racial group.
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:13 am
Just Joined

tokyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Yes, it is hard to drive anywhere without seeing a hoon or a boy racer, the latter particularly when the sun goes down.

Some areas and roads perhaps attract them more than others though (the Western Ring Road immediately springs to mind!)

To be honest, I don't think you can get away from them, they seem to exist wherever you go in the world.

Sorry, but what exactly are hoons and boy racers?
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:30 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tokyo
Sorry, but what exactly are hoons and boy racers?
Like chavs but wiv a wicked set of wheels man.

Hope that helps
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Like chavs but wiv a wicked set of wheels man.
Couldn't have put it better myself
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:56 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

I am so bloody fed up of being tailgated when I drive on the western ring road. The other week, I had a courier tailgating me and I wasn't going slow! I slowed down a bit and stayed in the lane as there were loads of traffic in the other lane and I was overtaking. He starts shouting at me and using lots of hand signals and when we did finally get past all the traffic he pulls into the other lane and starts hurling more abuse at me out the window. He was so busy shouting at me that he almost went into the back of a taxi - wish he had, would have sorted out 2 pains in the arse in one go.
I want a sign in my back window which says 'the closer you get, the slower I go!'

Originally Posted by Teliko21

Old May 2nd 2006, 9:59 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Have you got a job at the moment? If not, why don't you come over to Melbourne for a few days/weeks and see what you think?
There are good neighbourhoods and bad ones.
Alot of us are in the southeast of Melbourne and we all like it here so come for a visit

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Something similar to Glasgow! (Before anyone laughs, parts of Melbourne remind me of Glasgow, and a Melburnian friend of my wife's living in Glasgow at the time said the reverse!).

I know what the city centre has to offer, been through it a few times.

It's the 'burbs in Melbourne I don't know about, I wouldn't want to stay in one which is predominantly inhabitated by one racial group.
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sass73
I am so bloody fed up of being tailgated when I drive on the western ring road. The other week, I had a courier tailgating me and I wasn't going slow! I slowed down a bit and stayed in the lane as there were loads of traffic in the other lane and I was overtaking. He starts shouting at me and using lots of hand signals and when we did finally get past all the traffic he pulls into the other lane and starts hurling more abuse at me out the window. He was so busy shouting at me that he almost went into the back of a taxi - wish he had, would have sorted out 2 pains in the arse in one go.
I want a sign in my back window which says 'the closer you get, the slower I go!'
I completely agree about the tailgating, it is ridiculous. And the weaving between lanes that some drivers use to save 10 seconds or so. Especially when they pull out right in front of you while you are doing 100km/h and don't indicate either I could go on and on all day
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

tassiebound is an unknown quantity at this point

Landed in Hobart almost 2 weeks ago, homesickness starting to kick in (my wife wanted to come to Oz for 5 years, she is Australian, I wanted to stay in Glasgow).

Anyway, although I have been to, and worked in Hobart before, I am beginning to think that it was the wrong move for me.

It could be that I am just wanting to return home full-stop, but today in my head Melbourne is offering me more.

The thing is, I want to harm the car hoons down here, and read on another thread that this silly-twattedness exists in the Melbourne suburbs also.

How bad is Hobart? We are moving there in 4 months but didnt think it was going to be hoonsville?? :scared: Which suburb are you in or refering to???

We lived on Sydney Road near Brunswick in Melbourne in 2000 and it was fine, not sure that helps much though as it's not really burbs.
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tassiebound
How bad is Hobart? We are moving there in 4 months but didnt think it was going to be hoonsville?? :scared: Which suburb are you in or refering to???

We lived on Sydney Road near Brunswick in Melbourne in 2000 and it was fine, not sure that helps much though as it's not really burbs.
They used to race up and down the Brooker Highway to Glenorchy, from what I remember (the main higway heading north out of the city) - we were in The Glebe, up on a hill overlooking the road and you could hear them quite late at night. However, the stuff that races around here (northern Brissie) is just as bad, its country-wide so you won't escape it totally.
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:15 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

Havin lived in Melbourne twice, been to Hobart AND am from Hamilton nr Glasgow - I can say that yes, Melbourne does have a very Scottish feel to it. I think there's LOADS of Scottish folk there and the ozzies there make you SO welcome - it really helps to ease you in and makes you less likely to think about bunking off back to Scotia! I lived in Clifton Hill last time I was there and as we're now applying for PR we're looking at Mentone,Beaumaris,Bentleigh etc for houses. They are all bayside and about 20km from the city. Some of them are near the beach, others are just quiet suburbs.
There's loads of Irish bars but hey - it can't all be good. ;o)
I'd definately recommend Melbourne but when you've only been in Hobart for a wee while and you've already got itchy feet I'd say be really careful. You might end up spending a fortune,being constantly on the move and still not be happy due to that homesickness.
If it helps any, here's a link to the Evening Times - that should remind you how sh*t it is back home and why your THERE and not HERE!!
www.eveningtimes.co.uk and www.dailyrecord.co.uk
Stick at it mate - I know it's not easy , but it's all worth if if you can get through the first two years. Believe me, there's a reason why so many Scots are moving to Oz!! Trust me!!
*pearly*

Last edited by onepearlyb; May 2nd 2006 at 3:19 pm. Reason: forgot to add something
Old May 10th 2006, 1:39 am
Home.

Well, bit the bullet and decided to leave Hobart after only 2 weeks.

Landed in Melbourne yesterday, so looking to sort out rental now.

Actually, meant to be doing that online just now, I'd better get on with it!
Old May 10th 2006, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Well, bit the bullet and decided to leave Hobart after only 2 weeks.

Landed in Melbourne yesterday, so looking to sort out rental now.

Actually, meant to be doing that online just now, I'd better get on with it!
Which areas you looking at??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.