Reload this Page >

Melbourne or adelaide help?

Melbourne or adelaide help?

Old Jul 27th 2014, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

leon colborne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne or adelaide help?

Hi everyone,
We are looking at migrating to Adelaide or Melbourne in 2016 just starting out with our visa process. Myself a support worker, disabilities, mental health, partner a chef, we are in a civil partnership aged 27 and 32 would like to get an idea of areas that have a friendly community feel with being able to just pop to the shops etc. outside the CBD. One day we would like to foster kids so safe areas. Rent $250 - $300 per week in an ideal world close to the beach, but not that’s not too important starting out. Melbourne? Adelaide? We are confused. Heard its cold and dull in Melbourne but would offer better jobs etc. important starting out. How easy is it to make friends? We are gay but don’t broadcast that fact we just keep ourselves to ourselves not that it bother us what people think, you don’t go around saying I’m Adam and I’m straight. Lol..
Any information I would be grateful for .

Is the cert 3 the higher of the qualification? HNC higher national certificate in Health and social care and HND higher national diploma in health and social care. two years at university to get these, also NVQ 2 and 3 in health and social care, were work based vocational qualification on the care work I provide, medication qualified as I administer medication on a daily basis. NVQ 2 Customer service, work based team leader in retail. toy shop Butlins. must have some worth in Australia, will look in to seeing if I can get them converted to the aus equivalent...

Areas of Melbourne to avoid?
Good start out area? Looking at point cook…. ?
Old Jul 27th 2014, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Melbourne or adelaide help?

Originally Posted by leon colborne
Hi everyone,
We are looking at migrating to Adelaide or Melbourne in 2016 just starting out with our visa process. Myself a support worker, disabilities, mental health, partner a chef, we are in a civil partnership aged 27 and 32 would like to get an idea of areas that have a friendly community feel with being able to just pop to the shops etc. outside the CBD. One day we would like to foster kids so safe areas. Rent $250 - $300 per week in an ideal world close to the beach, but not that’s not too important starting out. Melbourne? Adelaide? We are confused. Heard its cold and dull in Melbourne but would offer better jobs etc. important starting out. How easy is it to make friends? We are gay but don’t broadcast that fact we just keep ourselves to ourselves not that it bother us what people think, you don’t go around saying I’m Adam and I’m straight. Lol..

Is the cert 3 the higher of the qualification? HNC higher national certificate in Health and social care and HND higher national diploma in health and social care. two years at university to get these, also NVQ 2 and 3 in health and social care, were work based vocational qualification on the care work I provide, medication qualified as I administer medication on a daily basis. NVQ 2 Customer service, work based team leader in retail. toy shop Butlins. must have some worth in Australia, will look in to seeing if I can get them converted to the aus equivalent...

we are using an agent, skills assessment with TRA COOK.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably focus on the visa first, I don't think either occupation is on the SOL, in which case you need state sponsorship. You could use that as a starting point.

I am not so fond of Melbourne myself, but I am not sure why people think the weather is not very nice there. If you like a warmer climate it would be substantially better than the UK.

There are nice, safe suburbs everywhere, I think you should narrow your search down a lot more first (e.g. where will work be) and then look to differentiate between one suburb and the next. Your budget seems very I light though, particularly for Melbourne. I would recommend you spend some time on one of the property sites like www.domain.com.au to see how far this is likely to go.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice.

yes we would need state sponsorship, will put in an EOI for Vic or SA if skills assessment is successful.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine that for a chef there would be substantially more work in Melbourne. We had a couple stay in our accommodation recently - he was a chef and had work at a newly opened restaurant within a week of landing. Melbourne is a foodie's paradise.

BB
Old Jul 27th 2014, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Melb would be the pick for jobs. Weather in melb could be up to 30 - 44c in summer I have experienced 4 and 44 in january in the same place. Its certainly far from cold and dull in summer its often stonking hot.

Rent estimate seems very low. Especially near beach or CBD.

Gay community in melb thriving. Cousin is Scientist there, nobody bats and eyelid about his sexuality. Melb has a real mix of population.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Melb would be the pick for jobs. Weather in melb could be up to 30 - 44c in summer I have experienced 4 and 44 in january in the same place. Its certainly far from cold and dull in summer its often stonking hot.

Rent estimate seems very low. Especially near beach or CBD.

Gay community in melb thriving. Cousin is Scientist there, nobody bats and eyelid about his sexuality. Melb has a real mix of population.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Weather in melb could be up to 30 - 44c
Well if it is it more than likely means its even hotter in Adelaide! The vast majority of summer highs are in the 20s. I don't find it dull, it certainly has its moments, particularly in the next 2 or 3 months, but there's plenty of sun most of the year.