Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Adelaide?

Melbourne or Adelaide?

Old Apr 27th 2015, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Adelaide?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
No it's not. Some areas are expensive, and some roads get busy. Cheaper than Slough, and easier going.
What do you mean with easier going? It's still a city, so you can't change that.
As mentioned, you can be relaxed anywhere and have a positive attitude.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 10:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
What do you mean with easier going? It's still a city, so you can't change that.
As mentioned, you can be relaxed anywhere and have a positive attitude.
Anyone who's been to Adelaide will know it may be a city but it's really a large town. The CBD is pretty small and the rest of the city is suburbs and surrounding small towns. I live in the northern suburbs and can be in the CBD in an hour if I want, or all the way through and at friends on the other side in the hills in less than 1 1/2.

I bought a 4 bed detached with pool in a good suburb for not much more than I sold a 3 bed mid terrace ex council house on one of the worst council estates in Slough. Before that I rented a 3 bed near the beach for less than I rented a 2 bed flat in slough 10 years ago.

Some roads get busy - main north road, south road, etc but since I've had it take nearly 2 hours to get to Heathrow from Slough, and only a little less going to Wokingham so a lot less stressful driving usually (not counting the idiots on the road anyway which you get everywhere).

I can't comment too much on London - don't really like the place so despite living in Slough didn't go into the city often, but compared to Slough life here is def more relaxed and laid back.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who's been to Adelaide will know it may be a city but it's really a large town. The CBD is pretty small and the rest of the city is suburbs and surrounding small towns. I live in the northern suburbs and can be in the CBD in an hour if I want, or all the way through and at friends on the other side in the hills in less than 1 1/2.

I bought a 4 bed detached with pool in a good suburb for not much more than I sold a 3 bed mid terrace ex council house on one of the worst council estates in Slough. Before that I rented a 3 bed near the beach for less than I rented a 2 bed flat in slough 10 years ago.

Some roads get busy - main north road, south road, etc but since I've had it take nearly 2 hours to get to Heathrow from Slough, and only a little less going to Wokingham so a lot less stressful driving usually (not counting the idiots on the road anyway which you get everywhere).

I can't comment too much on London - don't really like the place so despite living in Slough didn't go into the city often, but compared to Slough life here is def more relaxed and laid back.
Great that you're happy and I don't know Slough and wouldn't live in London either. All I'm saying is that if someone wants to escape London for a quieter life, they might not be much better off in Adelaide and could move to a rural area. It just depends what fast paced is for you? Your 4 bed detached was probably 3 times more than what I paid, so it's pointless to compare. You can also install a pool for little money anywhere in the world. At the end of the day you have to look at the whole picture.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 10:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Great that you're happy and I don't know Slough and wouldn't live in London either. All I'm saying is that if someone wants to escape London for a quieter life, they might not be much better off in Adelaide and could move to a rural area. It just depends what fast paced is for you? Your 4 bed detached was probably 3 times more than what I paid, so it's pointless to compare. You can also install a pool for little money anywhere in the world. At the end of the day you have to look at the whole picture.
Have you been to Adelaide?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you been to Adelaide?
Yes.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Have you lived in Adelaide?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:26 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you mean with laid back? You can feel laid back anywhere and create your own personal lifestyle, but if you want to escape the city for less stress, Adelaide won't be a huge difference. Might be smaller than London, but it's still a city with over a million people, expensive housing, traffic, environmental issue etc.
Can't believe you are saying Adelaide is similar to London The population of Adelaide is approximately 1.2 million, but this covers the WHOLE of the metropolitan area - this stretches from Gawler in the North, to past Port Willunga in the South and from the coast to the Hills and Mt Barker (and a bit further I think). A huge area. This map indicates the area.

Living in Adelaide is nothing like London. It is much quieter, much less polluted, much cleaner (even the graffiti isn't too bad), much easier to get around and much, much smaller. Consequently there isn't as much to do in the city, however, you have much easier access to the suburbs and outer areas where you can always find something going on.

I do agree that you create your own personal environment, but living in an area where there is a constant buzz of activity, it can be all to easy to get caught up in it.

Seriously, walking through the wide streets of Adelaide CBD is far less stressful than rushing through the constant traffic and packed pavements and claustrophobic tube of London.

Adelaide is still the most affordable state capital (on a par I believe with Hobart). Yes there are pricey areas, but there are far more affordable AND areas.

IMO Adelaide is similar in size to perhaps Lincoln or Nottingham, but much better laid out.
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne or Adelaide?-capture.jpg  
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide is hugely different from London.

Its quieter, cleaner, far less congested. Has a lovely genteel air about it - reminds me a lot of Hobart. If thinking of an English city/town to compare I would say Bath or Hove, has that kind of feel about it.
I would certainly say that moving to Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney would not be that different from London, but Adelaide? Not even close.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rasen78
Can't believe you are saying Adelaide is similar to London The population of Adelaide is approximately 1.2 million, but this covers the WHOLE of the metropolitan area - this stretches from Gawler in the North, to past Port Willunga in the South and from the coast to the Hills and Mt Barker (and a bit further I think). A huge area. This map indicates the area.

Living in Adelaide is nothing like London. It is much quieter, much less polluted, much cleaner (even the graffiti isn't too bad), much easier to get around and much, much smaller. Consequently there isn't as much to do in the city, however, you have much easier access to the suburbs and outer areas where you can always find something going on.

I do agree that you create your own personal environment, but living in an area where there is a constant buzz of activity, it can be all to easy to get caught up in it.

Seriously, walking through the wide streets of Adelaide CBD is far less stressful than rushing through the constant traffic and packed pavements and claustrophobic tube of London.

Adelaide is still the most affordable state capital (on a par I believe with Hobart). Yes there are pricey areas, but there are far more affordable AND areas.

IMO Adelaide is similar in size to perhaps Lincoln or Nottingham, but much better laid out.
Never said it's similar to London and don't understand why people get offended so quickly. It's still a city with over a million people and has issues like any other city.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:54 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Why do you have so much against Melbourne??? You're not planning to live here and I'm not sure you have ever lived here so I struggle to understand why you comment negatively on posts about Melbourne so much.

BB
I see Australia as a place that people come to for A) great "Aussie weather" -and- B) a well-paying job.

Of course there are going to be sacrifices sometimes, like a good job on an oil rig... or in Melbourne. But if you re-read my previous statement I did mention moving purely to live somewhere, without the job aspect.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:08 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I see Australia as a place that people come to for A) great "Aussie weather" -and- B) a well-paying job.

Of course there are going to be sacrifices sometimes, like a good job on an oil rig... or in Melbourne. But if you re-read my previous statement I did mention moving purely to live somewhere, without the job aspect.
Some of us just come for family, putting up with the weather is a necessary evil!
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:10 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some of us just come for family, putting up with the weather is a necessary evil!
Good point, and this is the most noble of causes for moving somewhere.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Good point, and this is the most noble of causes for moving somewhere.
Noble Very kind of you. But I think in my case it was blinded.

Meet someone from overseas. Then totally ignore you are marrying the family and country too.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:07 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Noble Very kind of you. But I think in my case it was blinded.

Meet someone from overseas. Then totally ignore you are marrying the family and country too.
+1

Nothing noble about it in my case either. Complicated yes, noble no.
Would I do it again?
Not wishing to offend anyone, but never in a million years.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:55 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Never said it's similar to London and don't understand why people get offended so quickly. It's still a city with over a million people and has issues like any other city.
I refer you to my earlier point. The city does not have over a million people. The greater metropolitan area as indicated on the map I posted does. This is approximately 1257 sq miles. Greater London is approx 611 sq miles with a population of over 7 million. Hardly comparable, which is what your earlier post inferred.

Yes Adelaide has it's issues and is by no means perfect, but to say that someone moving from London to Adelaide would not get a quieter life is misleading. Given that most places shut at 5pm, it is safe to say that yes, it is much quieter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.