Melbourne or Adelaide?

Melbourne or Adelaide?

Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:43 am
Just Joined

jsm1421 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne or Adelaide?

Hi All,
I hope you’re all doing fab.
I’m hoping somebody here might be able to give us some good advice based on their own knowledge and experience.
I have posted here before, but to recap our situation;
I am an Optometrist working for a company that is willing to sponsor my husband and I on a 457 visa. My husband currently works as a Data Manager in London.
Following a meeting with my company this weekend, we have been advised that being placed in Melbourne (our preferred location) as an Optometrist would prove to be quite difficult as it’s saturated. Not impossible, but difficult. They have told us to be flexible and consider Adelaide.
My husband is more likely to secure a job in his field in Melbourne (main reason it’s our preferred location), but we wanted to find out what job prospects are like in Adelaide? Is anyone able to recommend any good job sites?
We both want a relaxed lifestyle whereby we work to live. Having done some reading, the climate in Adelaide seems like just what we were looking for (Mediterranean climate). We also want to start our own family one day.
We would love to hear from people who have moved to Adelaide and find out about your experiences. Also whether you’d recommend Melbourne or Adelaide as a possible location to set up base.
Thanks,
J
Old Apr 14th 2015, 1:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Adelaide?

Originally Posted by jsm1421
...but we wanted to find out what job prospects are like in Adelaide? Is anyone able to recommend any good job sites?
Try https://www.jobseeker.com.au/ as a good site that amalgamates the returns from multiple other sites and allows you to tune the search across them.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 4:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne or Adelaide?

Hi and welcome

I know nothing about optometry, but your husbands role would I think be unlikely to have much opportunity in Adelaide.

Could you be more specific about what he does? I haven't heard the term Data Manager before so I'm basing this information on either Data Network Manager or Database Manager.

BB
Old Apr 14th 2015, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you GarryP, we will have a look tonight.

Hi Buzzy--Bee, my husband is basically a data analyst. He produces reports for senior management and stakeholders by manipulating data from various sources. He also produces targeted email lists for marketing campaigns. He currently works in the financial services sector. Hope that helps

Thank you.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:32 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you GarryP, we will have a look tonight.

Hi Buzzy--Bee, my husband is basically a data analyst. He produces reports for senior management and stakeholders by manipulating data from various sources. He also produces targeted email lists for marketing campaigns. He currently works in the financial services sector. Hope that helps
I would suggest that Melbourne or Sydney are the only 2 cities he stands a reasonable chance of getting a job in his field. Adelaide is more of a "branch office" city, and roles like your husbands would be a lot more rare.

BB
Old Apr 16th 2015, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you BB for your honest advice.

Is anyone able to share their experience of moving to Adelaide?

Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:01 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Securing jobs is of utmost importance, but being in a place you like is important too. You will obviously have a stronger position on the job front on the Melbourne market, but almost everyone I know would choose to live in Adelaide if work wasn't a factor in their decision.

From your posts I take it you are considering making a move first and then trying to secure jobs?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:04 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by astera
almost everyone I know would choose to live in Adelaide if work wasn't a factor in their decision.
Why do you have so much against Melbourne??? You're not planning to live here and I'm not sure you have ever lived here so I struggle to understand why you comment negatively on posts about Melbourne so much.

BB
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Securing jobs is of utmost importance, but being in a place you like is important too. You will obviously have a stronger position on the job front on the Melbourne market, but almost everyone I know would choose to live in Adelaide if work wasn't a factor in their decision.

From your posts I take it you are considering making a move first and then trying to secure jobs?
The melbourne job market is actually very tough right now. I know its often assumed, bigger city must be more jobs, but from recent experience of moving to melbourne shows there are far more people looking for work than jobs.

I know we are not the only ones who recently found this.

Anyone coming out now, I would say visit both, come out for a few weeks and really explore the job market on the ground
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Hi Astera - I will have a job but my husband will be looking to secure a job after the move.

jad n rich - My husband and I will be travelling to Aus next month for exactly that reason, to gain a better understanding of the job market out there.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Where we live is important to us, we want to escape the fast paced life of London so Adelaide does look like a really nice prospect. Are any of you able to put me in contact with someone on this forum who has made the move to Adelaide? It would be really good to find out about their experience.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live is important to us, we want to escape the fast paced life of London so Adelaide does look like a really nice prospect.
From the frying pan into the fire. If you want to escape London for that reason, I would look at other places.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Hi Moses2013 - thank you for your reply. So Adelaide isn't as laid back as it's made out to be?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Moses2013 - thank you for your reply. So Adelaide isn't as laid back as it's made out to be?
It is
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you mean with laid back? You can feel laid back anywhere and create your own personal lifestyle, but if you want to escape the city for less stress, Adelaide won't be a huge difference. Might be smaller than London, but it's still a city with over a million people, expensive housing, traffic, environmental issue etc.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Depends what you mean with laid back? You can feel laid back anywhere and create your own personal lifestyle, but if you want to escape the city for less stress, Adelaide won't be a huge difference. Might be smaller than London, but it's still a city with over a million people, expensive housing, traffic, environmental issue etc.
No it's not. Some areas are expensive, and some roads get busy. Cheaper than Slough, and easier going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.