Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare and / or health insurance?

Medicare and / or health insurance?

Old Apr 20th 2018, 1:19 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare and / or health insurance?

I can only endorse the need to get holiday insurance - theOriginalMrDreamy died while we were on holiday in Portugal. We always just had an annual holiday policy with Amex, because we did a lot of short trips all over the place, even though most were to Europe so we would have been covered (at the time, don't know about now) on whatever the reciprocal agreement was at the time.

It would have cost us somewhere around 20,000GBP to cover everything the insurance covered us for - and that was back in 1996, I dread to think what it would cost now.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

shouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really nice

Buy the insurance.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget, Medicare doesn't cover everything even for Australians. For example,smoke states ambulances are not covered and can be very expensive. I was taken to hospital by ambulance. Only treatment was gas and air for pain. Short trip of about 5 miles. Bill was $700 - and that was some years ago, I don't think it would have gone down! Be transported by air ambulance and start adding zeros.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 5:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Don't forget, Medicare doesn't cover everything even for Australians. For example,smoke states ambulances are not covered and can be very expensive. I was taken to hospital by ambulance. Only treatment was gas and air for pain. Short trip of about 5 miles. Bill was $700 - and that was some years ago, I don't think it would have gone down! Be transported by air ambulance and start adding zeros.
? RFDS is free. Our neighbour got critically ill in Esperance and was flown back to RPH by the RFDS

Total bill = $0.00

What's the NHS's total debt today?
Old Apr 20th 2018, 8:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
? RFDS is free. Our neighbour got critically ill in Esperance and was flown back to RPH by the RFDS

Total bill = $0.00

RFDS is not charged to the patient, but St John Ambulance does.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 9:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
RFDS is not charged to the patient, but St John Ambulance does.

I didn't realise they operated an air ambulance? Good to know

$50-75 gets you ambulance cover for a year
Old Apr 20th 2018, 11:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise they operated an air ambulance? Good to know

$50-75 gets you ambulance cover for a year
Sorry, I think we have misunderstood each other. I thought you were inferring that ambulance was free because RFDS was covered. I was saying that yes flying doctors is covered that ground ambulance isn't.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

So you are advocating Medicare fraud?

What happens to the person who "loaned" their card? I'll tell you. Their medical records get messed up because Medicare nowhas a record of paying for, say an elective angiography to assess the angina then the stents to open the artery. However the person who owns the card never had those things! Not to mention they are now guilty of Medicare fraud.

BE has a policy about advice that promotes illegal activity.

Albeit far fetched and very dramatic.

Although lay off the Greys anatomy episodes, it's sent your imagination into overdrive.

All UK "visitors" are entitled to Medicare coverage, so my scenario for something "minor" is more paperwork dodging than anything else. I had a course of AB's in mind which is the outcome in the majority of doctors visits I know of.

For the record, my last line was I do think the OP should get Health insurance if he has previous.

I don't think your example would even be covered for Private personally with those symptoms.

Still extremes can and do happen, like one in a million or indeed on Grey's anatomy.

How did your imaginary freind get 12,500 miles and suddenly end up on deaths door without any previous at age 63 in my case?
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:44 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Albeit far fetched and very dramatic.

Although lay off the Greys anatomy episodes, it's sent your imagination into overdrive.
I'm not sure what you're smoking, but it probably isn't legal in Australia. And for the record I have never seen Grey's Anatomy. I tend to not watch crap TV.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I would say as always in these matters weigh up where your personal interests lay. You are not too gone in years, claim good health, so risk factors minimalized on those issues.
Do you/will you partake in any risk sport/ventures ? Remembering any serious issue will be covered under receptacle agreement, it is up to you after pondering all aspects to conclude if medical insurance is required or not.

Insurance was barely thought about a few decades back by many, self included and ventured to some places, no doubt should have given some serious thought about having it.

Although saying that it does seem 'fear' these days is a form used to control, make people comply, purchase or just keep in line.

In matters of health though being not something to be taking lightly. I would advise make an informed decision on the information on hand that you are happy with.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 2:11 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

So you are advocating Medicare fraud?

What happens to the person who "loaned" their card? I'll tell you. Their medical records get messed up because Medicare nowhas a record of paying for, say an elective angiography to assess the angina then the stents to open the artery. However the person who owns the card never had those things! Not to mention they are now guilty of Medicare fraud.

BE has a policy about advice that promotes illegal activity.
My dad. Finnish citizen registered under medicare under the same rules as uk citizen, had no issues seeing a doctor and getting meds with the medicare issued temp number in a receipt paper. no fraud involved. Both Docs and pharmacy were aware of the rules and this happened more than once at three different surgeries, two pharmacies. Not emergencies, just him underestimating how many meds he needed.

however i second Polly on travel insurance, i used to work as a paramedic involved in medical repatriation, one ambulance trip can be 10 000 dollars with meds involved so let alone flights needed etc. Should you need a medical flight home, its not just the flight, pilot, fuel but also meds used, any medical staff needed etc (and for long haul its always 2x all of them)

never mind that travel insurance usually covers damaged property, lost flights, lost/stolen property....

Last edited by teza; Apr 21st 2018 at 2:15 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 6:33 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by teza
My dad. Finnish citizen registered under medicare under the same rules as uk citizen, had no issues seeing a doctor and getting meds with the medicare issued temp number in a receipt paper. no fraud involved. Both Docs and pharmacy were aware of the rules and this happened more than once at three different surgeries, two pharmacies. Not emergencies, just him underestimating how many meds he needed.

What does your dad legally registering for medicare have to do with what OE was recommending? If you read Ozzie eagle's post he suggested that the OP borrow someone else's card for none urgent treatment. That is fraud. Your Finnish dad applying for and using something he's entitled to is hardly using a service fraudulently.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You also have to be careful with plans that "include" ambulance cover. If it says something like "medically urgent" or "priority" ambulance etc watch out, because things like broken legs aren't classified as emergencies because they aren't life-threatening and so you would be on the hook for the ambulance bill in such instances if your coverage is just for "Priority 1" or something like that.

Make sure the ambulance cover is comprehensive, and as Amazulu said it is something like $100 for the year.

Feeling fine doesn't mean something won't happen. Repatriation coverage should be seen as vital.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Total bill = $0.00

What sort of mixed up total **** whit are you who takes a post offering advice and tries to turn it into an Oz v UK thing?

Oh, and enter many years on the forums I have found 100% that those that sing like you are actually the most unhappy in Oz but too scared to admit it. A bit like most closet people.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 1:18 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you get an annual travel insurance check the policy to see how coverage works. My one allows only trips up to 3 months long and start and end point must be my "home" country where the policy was taken out. So if going for a 12 month holiday would not work.