Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare: A good thread

Medicare: A good thread

Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Medicare: A good thread

Just a quick thread to post a positive point of view (it seems that we are always quick to post a whinge but always forget to post when things are good).

Both my son and husband have been admitted to different hospitals (for different problems) this week.

I really couldn't praise the medicare system more highly.

Our son was admitted overnight through a dedicated Childrens Emergency Room. The staff were attentive, thorough and obviously very used to dealing with distressed children. 10 out of 10 for them. The dedicated A&E for kids is brilliant and I felt he was offered an excellent standard of focussed care.

Mr Dejags is still in hospital. He has a serious acute condition for which he was admitted (also through the Emergency Room). The ER was a bit slow (but it was Friday night), but since then he has been treated with a great deal of care, a team of doctors and medical professionals are looking after him. I really couldn't fault them.

So for those of you looking to hear a positive story about Australia. Here's one for you
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:02 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare: A good thread

I second that!

After A was admitted via A&E in Adelaide, shes alive and now home!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to read a positive thread about Medicare.I am glad your son is home and hope your husband gets better soon.It must have been a very stressful time for you.

katsmajic just read the blue octopus thread,I am so glad your daughter is better.Sue.

Last edited by petensue; Nov 4th 2008 at 3:16 am.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dejags
Just a quick thread to post a positive point of view (it seems that we are always quick to post a whinge but always forget to post when things are good).

Both my son and husband have been admitted to different hospitals (for different problems) this week.

I really couldn't praise the medicare system more highly.

Our son was admitted overnight through a dedicated Childrens Emergency Room. The staff were attentive, thorough and obviously very used to dealing with distressed children. 10 out of 10 for them. The dedicated A&E for kids is brilliant and I felt he was offered an excellent standard of focussed care.

Mr Dejags is still in hospital. He has a serious acute condition for which he was admitted (also through the Emergency Room). The ER was a bit slow (but it was Friday night), but since then he has been treated with a great deal of care, a team of doctors and medical professionals are looking after him. I really couldn't fault them.

So for those of you looking to hear a positive story about Australia. Here's one for you
Hope they both get well soon.

M.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by margy
Hope they both get well soon.

M.
Thank you!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Hope they both get better soon.

I can definitely second the praise for medicare. When my 15 year old was being admitted to hospital for appendicitis recently (also through a dedicated kids' A&E) I was asked if I wanted to go private or public. When I asked what the difference would be the answer was "with private you'll get a bill". His appendix was out within hours and he was discharged the next day. Great care, lovely staff, really couldn't fault them.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Tried to register with Medicare a few days after we arrived, we were told to go away and come back in 10 working days as immigration hadn't registered us yet.

Went to Medibank and they told us can't register without a Medicare number told that we'd have to register under visitors, very expensive! However, eventually supervisor took the situation in hand and registered us on the regular system and said as soon as we have the Medicare number to phone it through.

Maybe we were too organised?

Thanks.

M