Reload this Page >

Medicals in a week

Medicals in a week

Old Sep 6th 2005, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

John Sharp is on a distinguished road
Default Medicals in a week

Going for medicals next tuesday at huddersfield, anyone tell us what to expect
(should i keep off the guiness the night before, take some vaseline ???) etc etc

John, Rula & Ben
Old Sep 6th 2005, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

angela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Medicals in a week

Originally Posted by John Sharp
(should i keep off the guiness the night before, take some vaseline ???) etc etc

John, Rula & Ben

Height, weight, bend over and touch your toes, listen to your chest, cough and drop for the men/boys and blood test and tell them if you have any medical conditions

That was about it, good little earner if you're one of those doctors on the list
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Hi there

There really is nothing to worry about. There seems to be a lot of scaremonger's on this site about this. My wife was absolutely petrified about our medicals but afterwards it really was a case of "what was all the fuss about". If you are fit and healthy without a chequered medical history you should be ok.
We also worried about whether to lay of the drink for 2 weeks before hand but in the end we just carried on as normal. We didn't have a drink the night before the meds but we did have a few the night before that without a problem.
It seems on the meds the real concern is the threat of AIDS and TB. The other checks were just a quick in and out job.
All in all if you don't have aids or TB or hepatitis you should have few problems at all.

All the best for next week

Sean and Sadie..
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by angela&rob
Height, weight, bend over and touch your toes, listen to your chest, cough and drop for the men/boys and blood test and tell them if you have any medical conditions

That was about it, good little earner if you're one of those doctors on the list
I don't know if they have changed that much in a year but if you had the cough and drop then i think they may have gone a little to far :scared: , unless you are going to NZ where they introduced them back in April but not for OZ. John they were fairly basic, chest x-ray for adults, urine and blood sample's a quick check of you stomach in your ear, eye sight reading test nothing major. Good luck
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

John, Rula & Ben

Originally posted a few days ago.

Hi Folks, interesting thread. But the Doctor is not looking for any alcohol traces in your urine. Nor is he looking for any in your blood sample. What he is interested in is what level your Gamma GT (glutamyl transpeptidaseis - an enzyme that is raised when liver function is suppressed). This shows the function of the liver and indicates any possible cirrhosis.

Normal Gamma GT levels are between 0 to 51 IU/L. High 90's is a bad thing.

So pop the cork, crack the can, the night before. If theres any damage, then leaving it for the evening is not going to make any difference at all. (if there is you could always bribe the Phlebotomy Technician )

Flash.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:50 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Originally posted a few days ago.

Hi Folks, interesting thread. But the Doctor is not looking for any alcohol traces in your urine. Nor is he looking for any in your blood sample. What he is interested in is what level your Gamma GT (glutamyl transpeptidaseis - an enzyme that is raised when liver function is suppressed). This shows the function of the liver and indicates any possible cirrhosis.

Normal Gamma GT levels are between 0 to 51 IU/L. High 90's is a bad thing.

So pop the cork, crack the can, the night before. If theres any damage, then leaving it for the evening is not going to make any difference at all. (if there is you could always bribe the Phlebotomy Technician )

Flash.
maybe best to avoid the alcohol as it could increase your blood pressure i know i bought one of those machines from boots and done the scientific tests!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:01 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

John, Rula & Ben
We had them done at the Lindley (Huddersfield) practice on Aug 3rd.
They were very good with us, the wife did the missus and the kids while the husband checked me over. There was a bit of poking and proding, listen to your heart, check eyes, look in mouth and ears, move your joints a bit and of course pee in a cup..It was all over in about 15 mins each.. very friendly and helpful they were too...

Don't panic it was easy.....

The hardest part was parking ......not the largest of car parks....

CORKER

P.M. FOR ANYMORE INFO..
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:26 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I am still amazed at how some peoples medicals are different to others.

Anyhow for me it was:
X-rays
Bloods
Height/weight
Blood pressure
Eye sight
Hearing
Urine
And a few questions.

I did try to even crack a joke-are you here for the medical tests-yeah but I am a bit worried - why?- I'll probably fail I never studied medicine.
Oh lordy that went down like a lead ballon.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

I also had medicals at the Lindley Group Practice, and found them fine, -nothing to worry about whatsoever. I agree the car park is tiny, but I went for my x-rays at Hudds Royal Infirmary (literally next door) and as I was booked in there for 9am, I got there for 8.30 and parked easily, put a two hour ticket on the car. Went into the hospital, straight to xray, filled in a form, had the chest xray went and paid and then walked across the road to Lindley Group Practice for meds. all basic stuff, sight test from a chart, whispered some words behind you and got you to repeat them, test reflexes, look in your ears and mouth, blood test and pee in a cup.

Paid for meds and courier costs and got visa a few weeks later.

Best of luck!

Jamie
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:56 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jamiem
I also had medicals at the Lindley Group Practice, and found them fine, -nothing to worry about whatsoever. I agree the car park is tiny, but I went for my x-rays at Hudds Royal Infirmary (literally next door) and as I was booked in there for 9am, I got there for 8.30 and parked easily, put a two hour ticket on the car. Went into the hospital, straight to xray, filled in a form, had the chest xray went and paid and then walked across the road to Lindley Group Practice for meds. all basic stuff, sight test from a chart, whispered some words behind you and got you to repeat them, test reflexes, look in your ears and mouth, blood test and pee in a cup.

Paid for meds and courier costs and got visa a few weeks later.

Best of luck!

Jamie
He didn't do the whisper thing with me ????

CORKER
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

bigmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Relax...................Relax............Relax you,ll be fine if your all reasonably fit ,no major disabilities,I and my wife were the same as you,but afterwards i thought what was all the worrying about.

Although i was 600 pounds lighter in my wallet...
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:08 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CORKER
He didn't do the whisper thing with me ????

CORKER
pssst he did ...you failed
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:13 pm
NEO LIVES

Originally Posted by seang
pssst he did ...you failed
Doh!!! :scared:
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigmac
Relax...................Relax............Relax you,ll be fine if your all reasonably fit ,no major disabilities,I and my wife were the same as you,but afterwards i thought what was all the worrying about.

Although i was 600 pounds lighter in my wallet...
600 quid?!
How much do the medicals cost? £300 each? What about children? (We have 2)
Sue
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:33 pm
NEO LIVES

Originally Posted by southstander
600 quid?!
How much do the medicals cost? £300 each? What about children? (We have 2)
Sue
Ours was adults £100.00 each. kids £55.00each and £50.00 each for xrays for anyone 11 and over :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.