Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals & Police Checks

Medicals & Police Checks

Old Aug 10th 2001, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Magwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really nice

Please could someone clarify something for me.

On the DIMA main website it specifically states that:

"You should not undergo a medical examination for the purposes of being assessed against the health requirement for entry into Australia unless and until you have been formally requested or advised to do so by the office processing your visa application."

On the Australian High Commission UK Website it says that you should submit health and character checks at the time you lodge your migration application as they're unable to proceed without them.

Please could someone tell what they've done/which way is correct?

We have all our documents ready to send off except for our health and character checks as we were following the advice on the DIMA main website. If your health and character checks are only valid for 12 months and it's taking Australian Migration Office in the UK 12 months to process the visas it doesn't leave you much time to get over to Australia?

Thanks,
Myrica
Old Aug 10th 2001, 12:38 pm
Ndaltonb

Myrica,

I'm using an agent and all our documents are in, except for health check. If you,
like us, are in the 12-15 month wait category, I recommend you send stuff in asap and
send int he medical and police check when they ask for them.

Nigel db

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 10th 2001, 12:52 pm
Martina Linnemann

Hi there,

I agree that the info on the UK High Commision Website is confusing. We submitted in
April and included the medicals and the police checks in the hope to speed things up
(applying as IT-ers...). However, I subsequently found out that the initial entry
date on your visa will be dated NOT a year from when you are granted the visa (which
is what I had assumed) but from the date of your medical.

If you submit your medicals now and have to wait for, say, 11 months for a visa,
you might only have a months left to enter the country. Having said that, there
seems to be some flexibility as to the date they set; it also has to be only a
first short visit - you don't have to pack your bags and leave for good straight
away, you can enter the country, get the visa validated and then return home to
sort everything out.

On balance, it might be a better idea to wait and submit the medicals at a later
stage. Everybody in the group... correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope it helps! Martina

Magwired wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 10th 2001, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Magwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really nice

Hi Martina,
Thanks for the information.
Myrica
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martina Linnemann
[B]Hi there,

I agree that the info on the UK High Commision Website is confusing. We submitted in
April and included the medicals and the police checks in the hope to speed things up
(applying as IT-ers...). However, I subsequently found out that the initial entry
date on your visa will be dated NOT a year from when you are granted the visa (which
is what I had assumed) but from the date of your medical.

If you submit your medicals now and have to wait for, say, 11 months for a visa,
you might only have a months left to enter the country. Having said that, there
seems to be some flexibility as to the date they set; it also has to be only a
first short visit - you don't have to pack your bags and leave for good straight
away, you can enter the country, get the visa validated and then return home to
sort everything out.

On balance, it might be a better idea to wait and submit the medicals at a later
stage. Everybody in the group... correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope it helps! Martina

Old Aug 10th 2001, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the information.
Myrica
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ndaltonb
[B]Myrica,

I'm using an agent and all our documents are in, except for health check. If you,
like us, are in the 12-15 month wait category, I recommend you send stuff in asap and
send int he medical and police check when they ask for them.

Nigel db

Old Aug 10th 2001, 3:17 pm
M & J

hi Magwired if you are applying under skilled independant....have you completed the
skill matching ??

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 10th 2001, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we are applying under skilled independent, but because we're IT professionals we're not going for skills matching category.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M & J
[B]hi Magwired if you are applying under skilled independant....have you completed the
skill matching ??