Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals for a 457

Medicals for a 457

Old Jun 12th 2006, 4:31 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicals for a 457

I tried doing a search, but couldn't find what I needed, so I thought to ask the gang instead.

I'm still waiting for my new employer to get his bum in gear, and start my application, but it is posible to go for medicals before the application is made, and if so, how long are the medicals valid for. I do honestly expect the process to be started this week, but i'm just so bloody fed up waiting, I want to do something in the meantime to keep my mind occupied.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:40 pm
Perth......at last!

sponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Medicals for a 457

we did have that thought before we had our visa acknowledgement too. But our agent advised us against it as they said in their experience, medicals had gone missing as there was no file nbr to tie up against.
But I don't know how true this is or if anyone has succeeded in doing it b4 ack received.

sponge
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:43 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sponge
we did have that thought before we had our visa acknowledgement too. But our agent advised us against it as they said in their experience, medicals had gone missing as there was no file nbr to tie up against.
But I don't know how true this is or if anyone has succeeded in doing it b4 ack received.

sponge
I wasn't planning on sending them off, but just getting them done.

If I had my case number, I could fill in my application online, and send of the meds afterwards.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
I wasn't planning on sending them off, but just getting them done.

If I had my case number, I could fill in my application online, and send of the meds afterwards.

I'm not sure how long 457's take, so don't want to comment on that. But I can tell you that providing your medicals are OK they are valid for 12 months same as police checks.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

I tried doing a search, but couldn't find what I needed, so I thought to ask the gang instead.

I'm still waiting for my new employer to get his bum in gear, and start my application, but it is posible to go for medicals before the application is made, and if so, how long are the medicals valid for. I do honestly expect the process to be started this week, but i'm just so bloody fed up waiting, I want to do something in the meantime to keep my mind occupied.
Do you definitely need a medical? Genarally for a 457 you don't unless you'll be working in healthcare or schools. We just had to get a chest x-ray. No meds or police check required.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pootle
Do you definitely need a medical? Genarally for a 457 you don't unless you'll be working in healthcare or schools. We just had to get a chest x-ray. No meds or police check required.
Just to add something to this, adults should only require chest x-rays (unless as stated above), however children do require medicals (our 2 year old required one). I would wait until they are requested as the 457 process is very quick anyway
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:45 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

When we had ours done last year for the 457 all three of us (including our 5 year old daughter) needed medicals but xrays were only needed for PR.

The doctor then sends the paper off quoting the reference number. I would wait until you get the request to be honest. We had our Visa within 2 weeks of our medicals - process in total only took about 6 weeks I think.

Will you be applying for PR when you arrive? Thats what we've done. You could be busying yourself getting all the paperwork ready for TRA/PR if thats the case - anything you can do in the UK rather than having to sort it from this end is a bonus - employer letters etc - certified copies of EVERYTHING etc etc etc.

Good luck and like I said dont try and rush the 457 process - its fast enough as it is - you'll soon find you dont have any time on your hands whatsoever when the Visa does come through - it gets pretty hectic pretty quickly then!

Rach xxxx
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

All 4 of us had full medicals, blood tests & Chest X Rays.
I met with other 457 visa holders who never had medicals!!
However it went in our favour as we applied for PR 136 skilled independent in December and got it in January as our medicals were still valid

Di
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:49 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harveyhare
All 4 of us had full medicals, blood tests & Chest X Rays.
I met with other 457 visa holders who never had medicals!!
However it went in our favour as we applied for PR 136 skilled independent in December and got it in January as our medicals were still valid

Di
Well done - you're very lucky! We did the same as you - full medicals with bloods and xrays etc in the hope that we could use them for our PR app but by the time we got around to it they were out of date! Gotta get them done again on Friday!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Well done - you're very lucky! We did the same as you - full medicals with bloods and xrays etc in the hope that we could use them for our PR app but by the time we got around to it they were out of date! Gotta get them done again on Friday!
When we asked DIMIA if our kids medicals and our x-rays from the 457 could be used for the PR application we got this reply:

Good afternoon

Medicals will have to be redone as medicals for 457 cannot be used for
permanent residence applications.

Regards
xxxxxxxxx
Business Centre, DIMIA
Casselden Place
Level 25, 2 Lonsdale Street
MELBOURNE VIC 3000

Old Jun 13th 2006, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Hi Furkew
It took ages for our application to be made too. OH got job offer in Jan but the application wasn't lodged till May. (Some of the hold up was due to some disputes re. contract - pay/medical insurance etc. but they don't exactly rush do they?!)
If you are expecting the process to be started this week you'll be asked to book your medicals/xrays straight away anyway. Have you checked with your chosen panel Dr if there is a long wait for appointments? We waited 3 weeks for an appointment, so it might be worth booking your appointment now & by the time it comes you probably will have been asked to go. Hope that makes sense
I don't believe you can send your own medicals anyway. The panel Dr has to send them via courier.
We got a call this morning to say we've got our visas so it has only taken 5 weeks.

Good Luck, hang in there, it won't be long now.

Leigh
Old Jun 13th 2006, 8:17 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We are on a 457 and only needed chest xrays - boy of 17 is Australian so didn't need anything.

Work have agreed to sponsor and pay for our PR but not doing it yet as we don't know where we want to live on a permanent basis and therefore making the most of LAFHA and other tax breaks!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 8:28 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Just to add my 10 cents worth.

We are here on a 457 - no medicals required by adults, only chest xrays. Children need medicals.

Medicals are required (in my humble opinion) if you are going to work in healthcare or in schools/childcare.

Every case is different though.

Once our employer had done his application for our 457 the whole process took only 4 weeks. We did the online version, which is probably quicker. But I think, generally, it is a quicker visa to get, as it is not permanent.

Have you tried putting the question over in the immigration forum?
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pootle
When we asked DIMIA if our kids medicals and our x-rays from the 457 could be used for the PR application we got this reply:

Good afternoon

Medicals will have to be redone as medicals for 457 cannot be used for
permanent residence applications.

Regards
xxxxxxxxx
Business Centre, DIMIA
Casselden Place
Level 25, 2 Lonsdale Street
MELBOURNE VIC 3000

Did you have full medicals, as the medicals required for 457 are different from those for PR, We had the lot done as i am a nurse.
I attached a cover letter to my application stating we had full medicals, blood tests and chest X Rays with my 457 reference no on and requested them to use those medicals as still valid at time of lodging application, I was advised to do this by the Adelaide processing centre.
They were due to expire in feb and i believe that is why i got my visa so quick.

Di
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by harveyhare
Did you have full medicals, as the medicals required for 457 are different from those for PR, We had the lot done as i am a nurse.
I attached a cover letter to my application stating we had full medicals, blood tests and chest X Rays with my 457 reference no on and requested them to use those medicals as still valid at time of lodging application, I was advised to do this by the Adelaide processing centre.
They were due to expire in feb and i believe that is why i got my visa so quick.

Di
We just had x-rays (which had to be done here!) and the kids had medicals in uk then again here. There was nothing different about the medicals they had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.