Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Math Tutor rates - question for those who have one

Math Tutor rates - question for those who have one

Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:45 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Math Tutor rates - question for those who have one

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start math tutoring in the near future and I was curious to know what the going rate is. I figured there was bound to be a few parents or tutors out there that might be able to answer my question.

I am registered to teach in Queensland and I am a high school math teacher, or at least I was before I had my 2 kids! I'm not quite ready to go back to teaching yet because I still have two kids at home at the moment, but if would be nice to make a bit of money tutoring. Plus, I really do like teaching and would love to get back into it on a casual basis.

So, does anyone have any idea of how much math tutors make? I've seen rates anywhere from $20-$50 an hour so I'm just interested in what's reasonable.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 3:09 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Math Tutor rates - question for those who have one

I used to pay a third year university student to help my son with HSC - this is all in Sydney. I paid around $40 I think.

I think it depends on the type of tutoring - my son needed input on the exam type style. Other age groups may need different things.

I think the math teacher rate was easily $60-$80 an hour but this was an expensive part of Sydney and I think the prices rose because of that (overpriced I thought).

Sometimes it pays to get started and go with word of mouth thereafter because my son rated this chap other friends wanted him as well.

Anyway best of luck - hope it goes well for you, pity it is QLD as I wouldn't mind some help for next child I need to support through HSC if she gets past SC.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Math Tutor rates - question for those who have one

Thanks for the input. I think Sydney's prices would be considered really expensive here.

At the moment I'm thinking $20-40 maybe. I'm just hoping to find a few kids in the local area that need tutoring. Around $25-30 seems very reasonable to me, especially for a registered teacher.