Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Maternity Leave In Oz - Whats the Score?

Maternity Leave In Oz - Whats the Score?

Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:52 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default Re: Maternity Leave In Oz - Whats the Score?

Originally Posted by joh117
I was paid 24wks half pay and I just qualified to work the 1yr service on the day I left to start my maternity leave.

This time I am lucky I am getting UK maternity leave of 9 months paid leave which 6 months is full pay. I start my maternity leave the day I arrive in Brisbane.

Has the baby bonus already gone to fortnightly payments? I qualified with my first child for $3000 as a lump sum and I personally find that more useful than small amounts every few weeks. I understand the logic to put off teenage pregnancies etc but what about the people who are adult and can manage their finances and use the money to the benefit of their babies.

Jo
I agree with you, we really need the bonus in a lump sum to assist paying the mortgage while my wife has to be off work whilst looking after the baby. Its about time they brought in proper maternity leave, it makes sense to reward people who work and contribute to the system by way of tax, by introducing such a scheme, rather than giving hand outs to people who have never worked and paid tax, have no intention of working and paying tax, and will just piss the money up the wall on grog, plasmas or whatever. There is a senator in the federal government called Senator Natasha Stott Despoja who is trying to legislate paid maternity leave, i saw her on the news and sent her a 'thanks for your hard work email,' (there are some good politicians out there!) This is the reply i got on the subject for those interested :

"Thank you for your kind words regarding my work on legislating for paid maternity leave.

Despite having legislation on the Senate Notice Paper for more than six years, neither major party has supported the introduction of such a scheme – and while we have seen movement on this issue with the Productivity Commission’s current inquiry into the paid maternity, paternity, and parental leave, my model has received support from key business, industry and community orgaorganizationsoving that it is economically viable.

Here’s hoping we will finally see a national scheme for all working women legislated for in next year’s budget.

Thank you once again for your supportive email."
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It seems I work for a very good employer (a uni). We get 6 months full pay or 12 months half pay.
THANK GOD!!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:48 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Paid maternity leave is not compulsory however you are entitled to take a year off. Public sector gives some paid leave up to 6 months. Typical private sector is about 6 weeks paid leave. I would have got 2 weeks paid paternity leave but for not having 1 years service.

The "Baby Bonus" is now $5000 and if you are over 18 you can get it in 1 lump sum. There is an online calculator for family tax benefit at http://www.familyassist.gov.au/ to work out what you are entitled to. The benefit can be paid fortnightly, be put in your pay or as a lump sum when your tax is calculated. You have to estimate your pay each year. If you underestimate your pay you will have to pay it back at the end of the tax year. If you overestimate your income you can get it back at the end of the tax year.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

rjhopwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nosegold
Hi

I am also very interested in this subject. My hubby and I are moving to Brisbane before the end of the year, both working in a hospital. We plan to start a family and I would like to know if I have to work for 12 months straight to qualify for mat leave or can i work for 6 months, get pregnant, work for a further 6 m months, therefore qualifying for mat leave.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
To add on to the above, does anyone know how qualifying service works in Qld Health (physio)?

Not for me, for the wife!

thanks

rich
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baz
I agree with you, we really need the bonus in a lump sum to assist paying the mortgage while my wife has to be off work whilst looking after the baby. Its about time they brought in proper maternity leave, it makes sense to reward people who work and contribute to the system by way of tax, by introducing such a scheme, rather than giving hand outs to people who have never worked and paid tax, have no intention of working and paying tax, and will just piss the money up the wall on grog, plasmas or whatever."
Baz - I agree that paid maternity leave is a good thing - but I think you're being a bit harsh with your comments about the lump sum. Some mothers (and fathers) are foregoing an income to stay at home and take care of their children. They're not claiming child care rebates, so why shouldn't they be rewarded too. Most of them probably waited until they could afford to live on one wage and then had kids - don't bag them for that. Grog and Plasmas? Get real.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim67
Baz - I agree that paid maternity leave is a good thing - but I think you're being a bit harsh with your comments about the lump sum. Some mothers (and fathers) are foregoing an income to stay at home and take care of their children. They're not claiming child care rebates, so why shouldn't they be rewarded too. Most of them probably waited until they could afford to live on one wage and then had kids - don't bag them for that. Grog and Plasmas? Get real.
I'm with you on this one. My wife got maternity leave for the first child but got nothing for the next two as we decided it would be better for her to stay at home and raise the kids. This is despite me paying loads of tax, my wife paying loads of tax (before and after she gave up work) and neither of us ever owning a plasma TV. We have had a bit of grog from time to time.

The UK system is good for encouraging mums back to work and giving bigger handouts to those that are better paid.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:38 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm with you on this one. My wife got maternity leave for the first child but got nothing for the next two as we decided it would be better for her to stay at home and raise the kids. This is despite me paying loads of tax, my wife paying loads of tax (before and after she gave up work) and neither of us ever owning a plasma TV. We have had a bit of grog from time to time.

The UK system is good for encouraging mums back to work and giving bigger handouts to those that are better paid.
I'm not talking about people in your circumstances, of course thats different. I am talking about the permanently unemployed brigade, who have never worked because they could never be arsed, and have no intention of working. I am also talking about entire families who have never (and will never) work for the same reason, not circumstances such as yours where you have working dad, and mum at home looking after the kids.

In my line of people i have to deal with the permanently unemployed brigade on a daily basis, there is plenty of work for them out there, and absolutely no reason whatsoever why they can't work. When most of us pay our tax, and live from pay cheque to pay cheque, i have just had enough of seeing these people being subsidized by the state. I have also seen numerous cases where young kids get themselves pregnant just for the baby bonus, there were similarities back in the UK, sixteen year old girls getting themselves pregnant so they could get on the council housing priority list.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Baz
I'm not talking about people in your circumstances, of course thats different. I am talking about the permanently unemployed brigade, who have never worked because they could never be arsed, and have no intention of working. I am also talking about entire families who have never (and will never) work for the same reason, not circumstances such as yours where you have working dad, and mum at home looking after the kids.

In my line of people i have to deal with the permanently unemployed brigade on a daily basis, there is plenty of work for them out there, and absolutely no reason whatsoever why they can't work. When most of us pay our tax, and live from pay cheque to pay cheque, i have just had enough of seeing these people being subsidized by the state. I have also seen numerous cases where young kids get themselves pregnant just for the baby bonus, there were similarities back in the UK, sixteen year old girls getting themselves pregnant so they could get on the council housing priority list.
There will always be people who "use and abuse the system" whatever system is used. The thing is not to concentrate on them to drive policy and penalise other people in the process (i.e. don't throw the baby out with the bathwater ).

I can't see compulsory maternity pay happening in Aus for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there has been a move away from using employers as part of the social security/benefit system and secondly because Aus tends towards tax and benefit systems that (for want of a better description) could be described as giving a "fair go".
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Baz

have to agree with you.

when the baby bonus first came out...A current affair and others. interviewed and aired episodes of teens who openly admitted to getting pregnant for the *money*..there was no logic or wiseness to listen to logic about the extended costs and care involved in having and raising a baby. however it isn't just the teens who abuse the system. heck some women even delayed having ceasarians etc..so they could get the baby bonus when it first came in!

in australia it would be discrimination to say that you can have the bonus 'cos you work..and you can't..'cos you don't.

i and many others i know...have always thought that some vouchers in particular baby stores would be the way to go. however..there is always ups and downsides to it and everything that can be discussed.

many of us wonder why even have it in the first place. sigh.~good intentions...but..well you know.

as some have said here already. bring the maternity leave up to scratch! that is what people should be pushing for. scrap the baby bonus and more focus on maternity leave.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
have to agree with you.

when the baby bonus first came out...A current affair and others. interviewed and aired episodes of teens who openly admitted to getting pregnant for the *money*..there was no logic or wiseness to listen to logic about the extended costs and care involved in having and raising a baby. however it isn't just the teens who abuse the system. heck some women even delayed having ceasarians etc..so they could get the baby bonus when it first came in!

in australia it would be discrimination to say that you can have the bonus 'cos you work..and you can't..'cos you don't.

i and many others i know...have always thought that some vouchers in particular baby stores would be the way to go. however..there is always ups and downsides to it and everything that can be discussed.

many of us wonder why even have it in the first place. sigh.~good intentions...but..well you know.

as some have said here already. bring the maternity leave up to scratch! that is what people should be pushing for. scrap the baby bonus and more focus on maternity leave.
But then you'd end up with the UK system where dole scoungers still get the money (and flat). Yes, teenagers do get pregnant so they can get a council flat. And they spend their "baby bonus" on DKNY. The return to work mums get the money for future kids but those that decide to care for their children are stuffed.

Hardly an improvement on the Aussie system. The UK system doesn't cure the problem in the Aussie system but does improvish people who deserve the money.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

But then you'd end up with the UK system where dole scoungers still get the money (and flat). Yes, teenagers do get pregnant so they can get a council flat. And they spend their "baby bonus" on DKNY. The return to work mums get the money for future kids but those that decide to care for their children are stuffed.

Hardly an improvement on the Aussie system. The UK system doesn't cure the problem in the Aussie system but does improvish people who deserve the money.
no easy answer is there..the whole system has gone CrAzY
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
no easy answer is there..the whole system has gone CrAzY
Sure has. Unfortunately in any tax/benefit system there's always going to be someone taking the mickey bliss.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:50 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Sure has. Unfortunately in any tax/benefit system there's always going to be someone taking the mickey bliss.
I used to work in the Cayman Islands, and there was no dole provided by the government. As with Oz, there was more than eneaugh work to go around, the difference? 100% employment in Cayman, as no one could afford to sit around on their arses waiting for dole cheques which would never come. The only people who did not work was the drug dealers (maybe some would call it a 'form' of employment ) and people who were supported by their families. This also had a knock on effect on crime, less people sitting around with nothing to do and time to go out thieving, as they were all working.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by Baz
I'm not talking about people in your circumstances, of course thats different.
No, no, no, not you. Your white, middle class and can read and write you deserve the money. It's the.......
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:52 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leftfield
No, no, no, not you. Your white, middle class and can read and write you deserve the money. It's the.......
Yes your bloody right i do, along with anyone else who works hard and pays taxes. Tell me why we should subsidise people who are too lazy to work, and have no intention of working? why should our hard earned taxes go to dole bludgers and the like, when our pensioners could use the money, working families, and all the other worthy people out there? whoever you are reffering to when you say "It's the.......[/QUOTE]," perhaps you should invite them to stay with you, and you can offer to look after them - good luck with that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.