Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

maternity benefits, oz vrs uk, help!!

maternity benefits, oz vrs uk, help!!

Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of
Default maternity benefits, oz vrs uk, help!!

hi,
i am really confused!
my husband and i are thinking if we should try to have a baby before we move to oz or after.
we are planning on moving jan 2010.
i know about the benefits in the uk ie maternity leave and pay, paternity leave and pay, child benefit and a bit about child credits (we would only be eligible for a tiny amount) and the bond.
i have had a search to find out what benefits you could get in oz and i am confused.
i think i understand the medicare where to have a baby in a public hospital you pay for little.
but what about afterwards? if i were to get a job it would be in the public sector who i think do provide some sort of maternity leave and allowance but this is discretionary?
do the government provide anything? i have had a look but it is so confusing. what makes it even more confusing is that my husband is australian so i will probably be on a temp spouse visa so would i get these benefits or not?
please help, any comments would be good!!
sarah
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: maternity benefits, oz vrs uk, help!!

Hi,

Am interested in the answer to your question also. Originally we had planned to try for our 2nd baby soon after our first but with the decision to move to Melbourne it has had to be put on the back burner for a while (well until after the medicals are done). However I was looking on the internet and I did find the below:

# Child benefit – almost everyone who has a child under 16 (or under 19 and still in full-time secondary education) qualifies to receive child benefit as it’s not means-tested. You’ll be given a form from the hospital when your child is born, or you can make your application online on the Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website. You’ll receive an amount for every child you have – a larger sum for the first child and a reduced sum for each additional child. It’s normally paid every four weeks, but you can arrange to receive it weekly if you’re on a low income and receive other benefits. It can be paid directly into your bank account or posted to you as a cheque, which you can cash at any post office. The benefits don’t count as income so they won’t be taxed and won’t affect any other benefits you receive.

# Child tax credits – if you have children under 16 and your family income is less than £58,175 per annum (or £66,350 if you have a child under one), you may apply for child tax credits, a regular payment which is means-tested, i.e. based on you and your partner’s annual income. There are two parts to the payments – a family element, paid to any family with children, and a child element, an additional sum for each child in the family. If you have a disabled child or a child under one, you may receive more money. Child tax credits are handled by HMRC, so to apply you’ll need to phone or write to them. Online applications are not available at present.

# Statutory maternity pay– women who are in work are entitled to maternity pay to allow them to take time off work when their baby is born. To qualify, you must have been working with the same employer for at least 26 weeks by the 15th week before the estimated date of delivery, and have earned at least £84 per week. You’ll get 90% of your average weekly earnings for the first six weeks, followed by a further 20 weeks at £108.85 or 90% of your average earnings, whichever is less. You’ll receive your maternity pay through your employer’s payroll, and tax and national insurance will be deducted as they would from your normal pay. To claim statutory maternity pay, you should speak to your employer at least 28 days before you plan to stop work. Note that some employers have their own maternity policy instead of statutory maternity pay, which will pay you more money.
# Statutory paternity pay – new fathers are also now entitled to paid time off by the government. To qualify, you must be the father of your wife or partner’s baby, or the adoptive father of the child, or the husband or partner of the adoptive mother of the child, or have responsibility for bringing up the child. To qualify, you must have been working with the same employer for at least 26 weeks by the 15th week before the estimated date of delivery, or employed up to the week when you or your wife/partner were matched with an adoptive child, and be earning at least £85 per week. You’ll be paid £108.85 for two weeks, or 90% of your average weekly earnings, whichever is less. As with statutory maternity pay, you’ll receive it through your employer and national insurance and tax will be deducted. To apply for statutory paternity pay, you’ll need to inform your employer at least 15 weeks before the baby is due, or within a week of being informed that youv’e been matched with an adoptive child, and you’ll need to take the leave within eight weeks of the adoption or birth of the child.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: maternity benefits, oz vrs uk, help!!

Hi,

Just had a baby, well nearly nine months ago and there is no statutory maternity pay and companies do not have to give you paid maternity leave and I know many friends who have had none. it is completely up too the employer. I am lucky being the the Public Sector that we get 14 weeks at full pay, but after that its every man for himself.

There is currently a debate, as Australia is only one in two countries in the OECD that does not give any paid maternity pay.

You will get what is called a baby bonus currently $4000 I believe this is changing to $5000, just for having a baby!! But everything else will depend on your circumstances and you will get family tax benefit all dependent on earnings. Your earnings are also taken to account for child care benefit, but they look at your after tax earnings.

If you have a baby in a public hospital it is all covered by Medicare. If you have private insurance you can opt to have the baby in a private hospital, however the antenatal classes, blood tests etc are all paid for by you and a management fee for the birth payable to your obstitrition, I was charged $1600. I have severe pre eclampsia and had to have many bloods test every day for a 10 days my blood bill was expensive and I have top hospital private cover. I wasn't expecting the blood bills.

Basically you can have a baby at no cost and get a baby bonus and maybe some family tax benefit.

Hope this helps

C x
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrianne

If you have a baby in a public hospital it is all covered by Medicare. If you have private insurance you can opt to have the baby in a private hospital, however the antenatal classes, blood tests etc are all paid for by you and a management fee for the birth payable to your obstitrition, I was charged $1600. I have severe pre eclampsia and had to have many bloods test every day for a 10 days my blood bill was expensive and I have top hospital private cover. I wasn't expecting the blood bills.

Probably depends what cover you have, I paid nothing other than the $100 excess for the hospital stay and the small bit Medicare didnt cover with the pregnancy appointments (no different to normal GP visit and quite a few he bulkbilled so I didnt pay a penny).

I paid nothing for blood tests (I had to have extra as he thought my blood sugar was high) the obs bill was completely covered as were anesthatist (epidural) and the other obs doctor (2nd opinion!) during labour.

As for paid maternity benefit it really depends on your employer, some do offer it, others offer up to one year unpaid maternity (and I believe paternity for the dad) leave.

We get one bit of the family tax credit and may also be eligible for the other bit (I forget which is which, there is Part A and Part B) depending on what we earn during the year.

Last edited by bridie; Nov 12th 2007 at 12:34 am.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I also had a baby nine months ago...my company pays 12 weeks mat leave but this is unusual. I have also taken long service leave and am going back to work in 3 weeks.

My private medical insurance paid for hospital- but this only kicks in once you have held it for 12-15 months.
Medicare pays for all in a public hospital and most costs as an outpatient (blood tests etc) but I had to pay for both scans and claimed only a part back.
I received the baby bonus but this was eaten up by medical out of pocket costs and baby bits!

If you are a low income family, you can get family tax benefits (don't know much about this but Centrelink website should be able to help).
For childcare, you can get some govt help to pay for it- not there yet, so don't know much about it.

The downsides to having a baby in UK-
quality of hospitals (hosps here are great),
having to cope with a small child on a 24 hour flight,
possibly having to pay for a ticket (depends on age) and
getting child a visa/passport.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Yes if you are private here, it is good, we had a double bed and my husband could bring in an cool box (esky) with beers if he wanted too. We had our own room and food coming our of our ears. Great support from all the midwives, classes to teach you stuff.

My friends had babies in the public system and also rated it as great, one was only two in a room rather than a ward.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, forgot about scans, I had two and Medicare paid some back but not all. Probably the most expensive part!!!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:23 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive had my 4 year old in the uk and 10 weeks ago a baby here the care in my opion was the same but the aftercare was different here you dont get as many home visits from the midwife/healthvistor but some people would prefer it that way, the hostipals dont seem as busy there was only only 2 a room when i was in although there was 4 beds so that was good.

In the uk you get free dental care for 1 year after baby is born same with prescriptions here you dont.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

thanks for all the comments, still dont know what is the best thing to do.

interms of buying an extra ticket for the plane and taking a little one on a 24 hour flight that sounds horrific!!

interms of the visa the baby will be australian by decent, my husbands dad is oz so keith has a passport (although he has never lived there), so getting baby sorted would be easier.

carrianne you made me laugh picturing your husband with his beer in the hospital.

can anyone tell me, do you only get the baby bonus and any other tax credits if you are PR? and if i worked in local government to get any kind of pay or leave would i have to be a PR also?

thanks so much, i am currently banned for talking about babies at home, i think i have scared my O/H a little bit!!

sarah
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

MelbourneCityRach will become famous soon enough

Oh this is such a hard choice!

Australia is nowhere near the uk in terms of maternity benefits. I am dying to go home to my family in Melbourne, but realistically, 6months of full paid leave here vs 12 weeks there...I am not sure it is worth it!

Has anyone actually moved over with a small child?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sormesher

interms of the visa the baby will be australian by decent, my husbands dad is oz so keith has a passport (although he has never lived there), so getting baby sorted would be easier.

sarah
Not 100% sure but I thought that to get citizenship by decent your parent had to have lived in Australia for a period of 2 years at some point?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Not 100% sure but I thought that to get citizenship by decent your parent had to have lived in Australia for a period of 2 years at some point?
Only if the Australian parent is also a citizen by descent.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Only if the Australian parent is also a citizen by descent.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

She said:

So I presume that means that his Dad is a citizen, but the husband has never lived here?. But I could be reading it wrong
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is planning to come over here before she has her baby. She has been thinking about coming for a while and has decided that she wants to be here with us and bring her child up here. She has a PR visa. What would happen in terms of the baby? Would it get Australian citizenship by birth or just UK?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tracey.d
My daughter is planning to come over here before she has her baby. She has been thinking about coming for a while and has decided that she wants to be here with us and bring her child up here. She has a PR visa. What would happen in terms of the baby? Would it get Australian citizenship by birth or just UK?
If she is here, then it would be an Australian Citizen by birth since she has a PR visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.