Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Marriage before application

Marriage before application

Old Oct 7th 2002, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage before application

My partner and i have lived together for 14 years and have not tied the knot. Having reached the decision to try to immigrate to Australia we have decided to get married as we it would be easier to all have the same names. It is not that we never wanted to marry this has just given us the kick up the bum to do it.

When sending the eventual visa application will it it be a good idea to enclose proof of out long relationship as the authorities may think it odd if a marriage certificate is quite new.

Footie chick
Old Oct 8th 2002, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Marriage before application

Originally posted by footie chick:
My partner and i have lived together for 14 years and have not tied the knot. Having reached the decision to try to immigrate to Australia we have decided to get married as we it would be easier to all have the same names. It is not that we never wanted to marry this has just given us the kick up the bum to do it.

When sending the eventual visa application will it it be a good idea to enclose proof of out long relationship as the authorities may think it odd if a marriage certificate is quite new.

Footie chick
Hi Footie Chick

You don't really need to get married. Australia have a tick box for De Facto (common law wife/husband/same sex relationship)

A De facto relationship means you must be currently together for 12 months.

I'm currently applying and have my girlfriend of 6 years on my application as my defacto partner. Different surname to mine.

To prove a defacto relationship you have to give DIMA a few more documents, but if you don't want to get married then just tick the "Defacto" box on the application form and send a few joint bank statements, stat decs,..... A little bit more work than applying when your married. But it's cheaper than getting married

If you want a list of items that you need to prove a defacto relationship reply to this msg.

Kieron
Old Oct 8th 2002, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm assuming that this is a Spouse visa you are talking about.

If so then try to avoid getting married during the application process. That's what I did and it slowed everything right down. They would not grant the visa until I could show them the marriage certificate even though were just about to grant it on de-facto grounds.
Old Oct 8th 2002, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummm you mean 'living' together for 12 months......

Yvonne

[SIZE=1]Originally posted by shorrock:

A De facto relationship means you must be currently together for 12 months.
Old Oct 8th 2002, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ywoods:
Ummm you mean 'living' together for 12 months......

Yvonne

Not sure about living together. Some other ppl in this group have not been living together for 12 months, but have been in a defacto relationship for 12 months.

Kieron