Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Maroochydore / Sunshine Coast schools

Maroochydore / Sunshine Coast schools

Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Maroochydore / Sunshine Coast schools

Trying to do a bit of research on schools on Sunshine Coast.
Does anyone know anything about Maroochydore State Primary and high schools? Have looked at the High school website and it sounds pretty good but it would be great to hear about experiences there.
Can any one recommend any other good state schools?. We have considered paying private but it would be great if we could avoid the extra cost.

Thanks
Jo
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Maroochydore / Sunshine Coast schools

Hya
I have lots of friends happy wiht maroochydore high but its not known as the best school. most people who want to go state tend to choose mountain creek as the state school of choice. You have to get a house in cachement. further up or down (peregian or caloundra way) I can let you know - where are you going to be based?

I am sort of considering Sienna which is a catholic school but the fees arent exorbitant. I am not there yet but the private schools are quite pricey. there is nothing wrong wiht mountain creek though.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

for primary - moutain creek again is good - buderim mountain is very good, my kids went to kuluin and /i was very happy. they now go to stella maris which I am very happy with.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough

Hi
My daughter goes to Chancellor high school, she is doing well and enjoying it, Mountain creek has a good reputation.

Anne marie xx
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:16 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

I went to Maroochydore State Hight School in the 80's and I turned out ok.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

I have one in Mountain Creek Primary & the other in Mountain Creek High. Very pleased with both schools, kids are doing well and seem to enjoy the schools -especially the younger one (but then we all know stroppy teenagers will never admit to being happy anyway)

Where are you planning onliving?

Lynn x
Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the replies. Really helpful as usual.

Basically we will try and live where we think the right school is for our kids. We have relatives to stay with at the beginning in Currimundi. Will definitely have a look at Mountain Creek high and Chancellor though.

We visited at Christmas 2009 and loved Mountain Creek, Buderim area, etc. The Sunshine coast is such a beautiful place.
My husband is travelling to Oz today!! to try and sort a few things out before we join him in May. Would be great to meet up with some of you!!

Cheers
Jo
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb
Thanks for all the replies. Really helpful as usual.

Basically we will try and live where we think the right school is for our kids. We have relatives to stay with at the beginning in Currimundi. Will definitely have a look at Mountain Creek high and Chancellor though.

We visited at Christmas 2009 and loved Mountain Creek, Buderim area, etc. The Sunshine coast is such a beautiful place.
My husband is travelling to Oz today!! to try and sort a few things out before we join him in May. Would be great to meet up with some of you!!

Cheers
Jo
If your kids are the brainy type, look into Mt Creek, Zenith for advanced academic grade 8 and 9 and Prep IB grade 10 and IB 11 and 12, they also have a lot of international students which IMO is an advantage.

I have found the disclipline, work ethic and teachers in the advanced academic classes to be far superior to normal mid band and even private schools. The kids also want to work providing a more focused class. You apply and they have to be selected after interviews/ work portfolio etc.

I know maroochy high well, it can have quite a reputation as a party animal school, and it looks very casual, know a couple of kids from primary who went there and went totally OTT But teenagers are not the most sane people anyway

If you want the best private its supposed to be Matthew Flinders, not cheap. Sienna is VVV hard to get into unless you are a church going catholic or know someone.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that info.

My daughter is a bit of a brain box (gets it from me!) so Mountain Creek High sounds ideal.
My son is the sporty type - is there a decent sports curriculum there with after school stuff?

Do you know where the catchment extends to?

Jo
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb
Thanks for that info.

My daughter is a bit of a brain box (gets it from me!) so Mountain Creek High sounds ideal.
My son is the sporty type - is there a decent sports curriculum there with after school stuff?

Do you know where the catchment extends to?

Jo
You dont need to do it after school some of the kids in grade 10 were picking sports for 3/4 subjects, they are HUGE on sport if your kids want to go that way. The kids in very high levels of sport even miss english and maths classes to go to sport, not sure about that myself but it obviously suits some.

Its a BIG state school, 2000 kids, they go in shifts, seniors 7 - 1 juniors 10 - 4 so school is not as packed as it might sound, plus its massive anyway been going in for years and still get lost.

The previous principal was very good, he pushed for the international and academic side of things, most schools in OZ push sports but he wanted more, they also have a very good drama and music side to the school.

Being so big its really up to the student/ to be self motivated, kids dont really have one teacher keeping an eye on them, its a timetable and a backpack of books and they just move around the school.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If you want the best private its supposed to be Matthew Flinders, not cheap. Sienna is VVV hard to get into unless you are a church going catholic or know someone.
I wanted M Flinders (when the time comes a long time away). its 28k for my 3 at current prices plus the extra stuff you dont see coming

suncoast was the second highest ranking on results last year. I know lots of people there - all are happy.

Is Sienna really hard? its a huge amount cheaper - my kids go to Stella catholic junior school and I was hoping that they would then go to Sienna. I am not sure I fall into "church going catholic" band though.

I am seriously happy with Stella Maris - my 2 that are there in grades 1 and prep are so happy and love going to school. the state school was good for my eldest too but I think the holistic approach really is making them feel special and I just love the school. I am very happy spending 80 odd dollars a week for them to go there, I thought that it was a bargain compared to the other private schools
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Mountain Creek catchment.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Thanks for that
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by odyssey
I wanted M Flinders (when the time comes a long time away). its 28k for my 3 at current prices plus the extra stuff you dont see coming

suncoast was the second highest ranking on results last year. I know lots of people there - all are happy.

Is Sienna really hard? its a huge amount cheaper - my kids go to Stella catholic junior school and I was hoping that they would then go to Sienna. I am not sure I fall into "church going catholic" band though.
Sienna is a fairly new school next to the University, with catholic fees so huge demand for people wanting kids in with fees of around only 2000/3000 per kid However if you have sent the kids to stella maris your chance of getting in is much better, most likely IME. It is very heavy on religion so to be quite honest I dont blame them for wanting students who are genuine catholic families.

Re: Mountain creek. My son goes there we live 14klm from the school, kids mates from perigian go there, thats a good half hour drive and one of the school buses goes to chevallum a good 25 minutes away. You see kids catching the noosa/coolum bus outside the school too. I am down in the Kawana state high zone daily and you see probably 40 kids waiting for the bus up to mountian creek. If its the school you fancy, apply no matter where you live, everyone else obviously does have a reason, brains, balls (sporting ones) a sibling/cousin, aiming for international education..... Apply and see how you go.

Flinders, yep my neighbour sends 3 there 28K but thats just the beginning read the uniform list to get some idea

If anyones after the IB be aware it does come with fees, so far about 1100 for IB subject fees, 350 for resource levy, 250 for laptop hire, cant take your own 198 for calculator. Normal high fee was 350 resource levy and about $400 for subject fees. As of 2012 most grades will also need the 250 computer hire. Uniforms about 50 per shirt, 35 shorts, 70 winter jumper in senior, 50 in junior. Then you buy the books/stationary, in high we probably get away with 100 or less for both, mainly cause they have most stuff now.

Hope all the info helps

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 3rd 2011 at 12:35 am.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:23 am
Just Joined

sunshinejtrkc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by odyssey
for primary - moutain creek again is good - buderim mountain is very good, my kids went to kuluin and /i was very happy. they now go to stella maris which I am very happy with.
Hello Odyssey,
What years are your kids in? Mine are 7 and 9 and due to start at Stella Maris after the school hols?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.