Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mandurah, WA - Schools and any other info........

Mandurah, WA - Schools and any other info........

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Lou66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mandurah, WA - Schools and any other info........

Hi Mari

Noticed you're planning to move to Mandurah at end of this year. We're moving there at end of October. We also have the same queries. Looking forward to the change in lifestyle but worried about the schools and like you the area to live. Our kids are 7 and 4 how old are your children?

Originally Posted by sunny side
Hi,

We are planning to move to Mandurah (Visa 475) by end of the year and would like to know about Mandurah.

I heard that house prices are high in WA than any other city. What are rentals for 3 to 4 room houses?

What are the High schools and Primary schools in Mandurah and the costs like eg: uniforms, term fees and other general activities?

Thank you

Mari
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

sunny side will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We have 3 teenage daughters and a 6yr old son. Expecting the visa by the end of the year.

The visa allows us to live in the regional WA for 2 years so we want to go to Mandurah.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Kangy-roo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we moved to Halls Head in April this year. Originally it was just whilst we found our feet, but we liked the area so much we have decided to settle here. We put the kids in Glencoe Primary which is a really nice school. I don't think any of the state primary schools concentrate on the Maths and English like the English schools however in other areas they seem to excel, ie: activities that promote self-confidence. I like Halls Head because it is on the edge of Mandurah so you have all the amenities but not the hassle of living in a town.

We were also told to avoid Greenfields, I think mainly because it is a little run down, although I didn't think it looked that bad. Lakelands and Meadow Springs are large up and coming estates although they are not within walking distance from the beach. We have now moved to Seascapes and love to stroll down the beach at the end of the day, watching the sun go down. The house prices are very reasonable at the moment in Seascapes, Lakelands and Meadow Springs, and there are lots of places to rent. I would wait until you get here before you decide on a rental (honestly you will find somewhere).

There are mozzies but they come because of the fact that the area has sea, a beautiful big estuary which is perfect for safe wakeboarding and waterskiing, and the lovely Murray river, and if you are a boating, fishing or watersports person, they are worth suffering, just slap on the repellant at dawn and dusk.

We also considered Silver Sands, Madora Bay, Singleton and Secret Harbour. Silver Sands and Secret harbour were lovely but after Halls head seemed expensive with small plots. Although the beach at Secret Harbour is lovely and we do visit there most weekends for the boys to body board.

Madora Bay and Singleton seemed to be a mixture of old and new, but didn't seem to have the same facilities ie: local shops. I may be wrong but we didn't find them. Golden Bay seemed nice but again the properties seemed either very new and expensive or very old and run down.

The primary schools all seem to be reasonable, we have decided to send our eldest to a private secondary school as the rep for any of the local state schools is not very good. As we only arrived in April we are on the waiting lists for many of the Private schools, but have been lucky enough to get offered a place at Luthren Living Waters School in Warnbro. Although it seems a long way from Halls Head, it is a short train journey from Mandurah (about 15 mins) and then the school will be running a bus from the train station to the school (another 10 mins) so "no drama". The other private schools in the area are Mandurah Baptist, Fredrick Irwins, and Mandurah Baptist College.

Anyway got to go, time to brew up. Hope this waffle helps.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Mandurah, WA - Schools and any other info........

I'm coming out in defence of Greenfields (well sort of). Mandurah in general is not a bad area where ever you want to live give or take a few spots but in all areas somewhere has to fall a the bottom of the list. I would list some parts of Coodinup and some parts of central Mandurah (eg behind the library) as less desirable than Greenfields. I live in Greenfields(rental) just off lakes rd near the Hospital, we have been here since 10/07. Do not write it of along with the others for a first place to live. Most parts are fine. It does look a bit past it as it is an older area and the houses are in general not as large and fancy as Lakelands and Meadow Springs. Our daughter was lucky enough to get into Foundation Christian collage in Greenfields(primary and high school, semi private). It is very close to everything in mandurah and when you are starting out with maybe no job or a limited budget and don't want to break the bank, a place like Greenfields is great. The rentals are very reasonable and as long as you do your homework 80% of the place is problem free(touch wood no problems at all for us). Our rent is only $200 per week.

Don't get me wrong, when we buy we will buy in the best area we can afford and it will not be Greenfields but when you are looking why pay 350 when 200 will do. I come from London/Kent and i have no problem with any of the areas compared with there.

I will agree that state schools in all Mandurah areas (specifically high schools) are not shining lights but even that depends on what you are comparing them too. I would put my daughter in any of then if faced with puting my daughter in her local comprehensive in London.

And don't forget Greenfields is only 5 minutes away from the spud shed!

Bruce
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kangy-roo is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh Spud Shed! Actually I haven't been yet but everyone keeps telling me to try it. Have you tried the $10 steak night at the Premier at Pinjarra yet. It comes highly recommended.