Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Major cities creating unhappy Australians"

"Major cities creating unhappy Australians"

Old Jul 24th 2015, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Major cities creating unhappy Australians"

This was the finding of a major study carried out by my alma mater. The conclusions make for interesting reading. Here's a brief summary:

Major cities creating unhappy Australians

Australians who live in towns of fewer than 1,000 residents or rural locations have significantly higher levels of life satisfaction than those living in major cities, according to Australia's most comprehensive household survey.

The Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) Survey undertaken by the University of Melbourne found that the kind of community a person lives in significantly impacts their happiness. Having neighbours who help out, and homes and gardens in good condition adds to a person's life satisfaction.

According to report author, Associate Professor Roger Wilkins, from the University's Melbourne Institute, the category of people in Australia that rated the highest life satisfaction were women who lived in Queensland. HILDA Survey 2015 Australia’s most comprehensive household survey offers insights into how we live.

If you want some bedtime reading the full report can be downloaded in PDF format at:

https://www.melbourneinstitute.com/d...eport_2015.pdf

Each person and family will of course have their own subjective feelings on what constitutes happiness and where best to achieve it but this is the result of surveying 17,000 Australians on behalf of the government.

Do we have a 'light blue touch paper' emoticon?
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Major cities creating unhappy Australians"

Originally Posted by OzTennis
the category of people in Australia that rated the highest life satisfaction were women who lived in Queensland.:
Love it.
I spent tonight with some friends who kept telling me how wonderful live in Brisbane is and how lucky I am to live there. None of them have moved beyond the London area in which they were born.

clearly everyone knows how I feel better than I do myself. Satisfaction? don't make me laugh.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:58 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

the category of people in Australia that rated the highest life satisfaction were women who lived in Queensland.
I think I know the ones that are pushing up the stats.

Hubby stuck in an office 10 hours a day to maintain her lifestyle, she's in her Porsche Cayenne with the only annoying aspect in her life the fact that she has to get up early to drive her kid to school.

As soon as she steps out there's a paper-cup latte in hand (certainly didn't stop to buy one along the way so it's probably part of the ATTIRE with the same cup always staying in the car), dressed as if she's about to go jogging though she's about to head straight back home. Judgemental, unpleasant, egocentric, with the inner belief that they have achieved everything in life.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Love it.
I spent tonight with some friends who kept telling me how wonderful live in Brisbane is and how lucky I am to live there. None of them have moved beyond the London area in which they were born.

clearly everyone knows how I feel better than I do myself. Satisfaction? don't make me laugh.
Brilliant. I love it when Australians without passports call it "the lucky country"
Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Brilliant. I love it when Australians without passports call it "the lucky country"
Perhaps you don't know that the term 'the lucky country' was coined by Donald Horne in his 1964 book? It is a derogatory, negative or sarcastic term. Those without passports and some with could do to learn by Google and do some research if they haven't read the book.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you don't know that the term 'the lucky country' was coined by Donald Horne in his 1964 book? It is a derogatory, negative or sarcastic term. Those without passports and some with could do to learn by Google and do some research if they haven't read the book.
Nope. They just need passports to broaden their little minds.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope. They just need passports to broaden their little minds.
I thought you hadn't read it. Here's you pouring scorn on those who haven't been outside London using the phrase when all along you thought it meant the land of milk an honey.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought you hadn't read it. Here's you pouring scorn on those who haven't been outside London using the phrase when all along you thought it meant the land of milk an honey.
I'm glad you rolf at your own jokes. I guess someone has to.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm glad you rolf at your own jokes. I guess someone has to.
Not clever to mention Rolf to an Australian. Another gaffe also, it's rolling on the floor laughing - rofl.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not clever to mention Rolf to an Australian. Another gaffe also, it's rolling on the floor laughing - rofl.
Bit like f....c....u....k. Catch up old boy
Old Jul 25th 2015, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bit like f....c....u....k. Catch up old boy
Cringe - tries to cover up mistake after mistake. Have the grace to admit you didn't know about the origins of the term the lucky country and misused it (you do have lots of friends though who think the term means land of milk and honey) and you made a mistake with rolf but that might have been a 'typo'.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cringe - tries to cover up mistake after mistake. Have the grace to admit you didn't know about the origins of the term the lucky country and misused it (you do have lots of friends though who think the term means land of milk and honey) and you made a mistake with rolf but that might have been a 'typo'.
Absolutely intentional. But you have the personality of a garden snail. Imagine sitting next to you at a dinner party.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 12:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I think I know the ones that are pushing up the stats.

Hubby stuck in an office 10 hours a day to maintain her lifestyle, she's in her Porsche Cayenne with the only annoying aspect in her life the fact that she has to get up early to drive her kid to school.

As soon as she steps out there's a paper-cup latte in hand (certainly didn't stop to buy one along the way so it's probably part of the ATTIRE with the same cup always staying in the car), dressed as if she's about to go jogging though she's about to head straight back home. Judgemental, unpleasant, egocentric, with the inner belief that they have achieved everything in life.

You've been to Mosman haven't you?

These women are very alive and kicking here in Sydney too - The North Shore and Eastern Suburbs are full of them

S
Old Jul 27th 2015, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
The North Shore and Eastern Suburbs are full of them

S
I live in the Eastern Suburbs. ........ ssshhhhh ...... don't tell Mrs Beoz..... She works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.