Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

luxury problem,gold or sunshinecoast

luxury problem,gold or sunshinecoast

Old Aug 24th 2008, 9:56 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: luxury problem,gold or sunshinecoast

Originally Posted by jeanmark
Thanks for the replies

I think the climate in South east Queensland is perfect for a thatch reed roof.
It is not to wet like the weather we have here in the netherlands and in England.
So the life span will be much longer.
U can use a fire retarding and pest treatment for your roof so that doesn't have to be a problem.

www.ozthatch.com.au is one of the companies I could work for.
It seems the bali thatch is pretty populair in Queensland,so if my plans regarding reed thatcing doesn't work out I can always count on this company.
or this www.gazebodirect.com.au .

The main question for us is where to live ,gold or sunshine coast.
Which one would any of you prefer ?

(sorry for my englisch writing ,still trying to improve it,this forum gives me a lot of help )
i think the main problem you will encounter is that australians simply will not want to spend the money.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 10:58 am
Just Joined

jeanmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by youngy73
i think the main problem you will encounter is that australians simply will not want to spend the money.
I know the prices for a bali thatch roof ,which is about 200 dollar square meter.
Here in the netherlands we do water reed thatching for 85 Euro wich is about 150 dollar square meter.
So if I can import water reed into Australia for a reasonable price it could even get a bit cheaper.
Also thatching with water reed will last longer (up to 25 years) than bali thatch (up to 12 years).
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi mate try looking around advance town /gilston its 15mins from surfers there are lost of propertys with land GARY
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

tassy
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by calNgary
Hi mate try looking around advance town /gilston its 15mins from surfers there are lost of propertys with land GARY
Hi Gary,thanks for the suggestions.
There are some nice properties in that area ,also been looking at Tallai,worongary or mudgeeraba.
Do you have any idea how these places are for kids (3 and 6) schools,facillities etc.?
I would like to run the business from home ,so I have to advertise ,are people in Australia willing to drive to these places to see my product you think?
It would be nice to hear what people think about that.

Markus
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Markus

I grew up in Noosa so a little biased but spend quite of lot of mis-spent youth on the Goldie as well.

The Gold Coast probably has better business opportunities in general although I'm not that sure thatching is really a Gold Coast thing... They are a bunch of show offs however

Sunshine Coast has come along way. I loved growing up in Noosa and plan to get back there some day. You might want to look at the hinterland around Maleny - that type of area could go for the thatching. Its cooler up there and certainly could work.

So if you enjoy the nightlife then head for the Gold Coast. If you want something a little quieter then check out parts of the sunshine coast. I suspect you'll be travelling quite a bit for work so it really doesn't matter. I've never seen an english style thatched house in QLD. You might do better down south - I've seen them in Melbourne before.

Anyway first stop would be to see what the custom regulations around importing a water reed in to Australia - I can imagine that will be challenging frankly.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

just looked at a couple of the websites that you posted - I think you'll find your skills are wasted on the aussies - most of those seem to be "pre thatched" - ie you just attach it to a metal frame.

Not exactly the kind of stuff you seem capable of. In any event the earlier posted is correct - Queenslanders will not pay for it I suspect. (Thats the hand made job you are proposing vs the pre fab stuff on those sites).

I certainly think you'll find a market in Melbourne for your work.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi moneypen

Thanks for the info.
Just visited your weblog.
Just been looking at realestate in Currumbin area.
There are some nice properties over there and close by the beach.
Our children are in the age of 6 and 3 years old ,when we arrive we will take a good look over there.
Would the Currumbin area a good place to set up a business like I have in mind ,outdoor gazebos,pavilions with any kind of thatch on it, you think?

Markus
To be honest I have absolutely no idea if it would be a good area to set up shop. There's nothing like it around so you may be rushing around with more work than you need or you may have nothing. Apparently we are show offs so you may get a market of oneupmanship going on. Lots of people have gazebos, pavilions etc and there is a fair amount of money around judging by the prices of some houses.

Currumbin is a perfect place for small kids. A few excellent primary schools, easy access to a couple of very good high schools (for the future). Lots to do, stacks of clubs of every type of hobby, nippers for them to learn about and enjoy the sea - great social life to boot. Close to motorway to get up and down the coast for work etc.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Goatherder

During our vacation 2007 we visited Noosa also and we really liked it.
One of the companies I mentioned is based in Doonan just under Noosa.
If we should move to SC we were thinking about Buderim .
There are some acreage properties and still close to the beaches, and I think there is more to do for children then Noosa?
Also visited Maleny ,is it really cooler up there.

Interesting to hear you've seen englisch style thatched houses before in Melbourne.
I spend days trying to find these style of thatched houses and found this one.
http://www.fivesensescoffee.com.au/n...-the-peninsula
The cafe was thatched by Norbert who is an Newzealander origanaly from germany.
As you can read they used water reed harvested from the tootgarook swamp somewhere in Victoria.
So there is water reed growing in Australia.
But I'm afraid Melbourne is not the place for us.

Markus
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Markus

Small world - I grew up in Doonan - down by the Lake on Eumerella Road. My parents still live there.

Noosa is very much still a tourist area but I loved growing up in the hills! We had a house on the front of a large lake and I spent my time fishing and sailing. Looking forward someday to getting back to it all.

I always thought that Buderim was for retirees Things may have changed - haven't lived in the area for 10 years at least.

Anyway - Gold Coast is a little do busy for me - but as I said I'm pretty biased growing up in Noosa. During the tourist season however I avoid Noosa and go to Peregian Beach usually - alot quieter normally - although I was up that way about 2 years ago and couldn't believe the changes.

Good luck with it all.

Goat.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

vicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nice

i didnt think there would be any thatched properties in oz!

would be nice to see though as i grew up in a thatched cottage. in fact my dad is having in re-thatched at the moment. its very expensive though. nearly 30k for a 3 bed house! and its taken him nearly 3 months to do it. when my dad was well enough to do it himself it only took him about a month on his own! does look nice though.

good luck anyway dutch family
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really nice

Brillant photos mate.Reminds me of when I was visiting my sister down in Somersett.I was down the pub chatting to the locals and one fella said "Oim a thaaatcher".I got it into my head that he was related to Maggie Thatcher so we had an embarressing couple of minutes where I was trying my best not to insult his bloodline.Then he said "Noo you silly **** I thaaatch roooves".We were ok after that and got on the scrumpie.
Just my opinion but I preffer the Sunny Coast.Gold coast might be better for work tho.
Good Luck...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vicki t
i didnt think there would be any thatched properties in oz!

would be nice to see though as i grew up in a thatched cottage. in fact my dad is having in re-thatched at the moment. its very expensive though. nearly 30k for a 3 bed house! and its taken him nearly 3 months to do it. when my dad was well enough to do it himself it only took him about a month on his own! does look nice though.

good luck anyway dutch family
thanks Vicki

The costs for a thatched roof depends on the size of the roof and if there are any difficulties in it ,like windows for example .
In the neherlands I take 85 euro p/square meter wich is about 145 AUD.
3 months seems like a long time to do the job if your father could do it in one month
Do you know the size of the roof?

Markus
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer
Brillant photos mate.Reminds me of when I was visiting my sister down in Somersett.I was down the pub chatting to the locals and one fella said "Oim a thaaatcher".I got it into my head that he was related to Maggie Thatcher so we had an embarressing couple of minutes where I was trying my best not to insult his bloodline.Then he said "Noo you silly **** I thaaatch roooves".We were ok after that and got on the scrumpie.
Just my opinion but I preffer the Sunny Coast.Gold coast might be better for work tho.
Good Luck...
Thanks for your opinion and compliments .
Nice story ,so you see we learn everyday

Markus
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

dont think you will have any problems with places you mentioned i think mudgeeraba would be good for location as its on the motoway & only a few mins from surfers & schools GARY
Hi Gary,thanks for the suggestions.
There are some nice properties in that area ,also been looking at Tallai,worongary or mudgeeraba.
Do you have any idea how these places are for kids (3 and 6) schools,facillities etc.?
I would like to run the business from home ,so I have to advertise ,are people in Australia willing to drive to these places to see my product you think?
It would be nice to hear what people think about that.

Markus

Last edited by calNgary; Aug 30th 2008 at 9:41 am. Reason: SP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.