Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Old May 10th 2010, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Originally Posted by kporte
there is definitely something in this. Not in all cases of course but speaking personally I was very touchy initially about negative Aus posts and this reasoning was , in retrospect, why I was to a good degree. Still love it here but am certainly more balanced in my views.
Hmm.. to have another go on this one, I can't argue with your argument, but I admit to being annoyed by the constant accusation that there is something amiss, from some quarters, especially when the complainant comes over as pig-ignorant. It's really nothing but the shere injustice!

I'm convinced that there are people who have no idea how others might be living - and that they can't see another world out there. Of course - it works both ways - I know that other people must have poor experiences, and it's precisely getting a whiff of it from a distance that, infact validates that our experiences are certainly not equal! Infact, I'd be quite happy to swap places with someone for a week if it helped them.

Originally Posted by Weebie
The real problem with UK migrants is where they're moving. They are so into having a big house they forget about location. In Perth for instance it's secret harbour, Mindarie, Joondalup, Ellenbrook etc. There are all areas that most middleclass Perthites for instance would regard as lower class shitholes. Move in a better area but less room like a townhouse and I think you would enjoy Perth more.
Probably true. It's like areas of Melbourne SE. There has been a influx of lower-middle class skilled people into what was a village and rural area. As someone at work said - 'it's all salesmen'. The UK equivalent of Mondeo man. Work is key too - noone I know in the city lives out, unless it is on acreage or in a village - that's comparitively rare.

Melbourne city life is a world apart from Melbourne outer suburban life. I still chuckle over the differences. Chalk and cheese.