Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Aussies living on rice

Lots of Aussies living on rice

Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of Aussies living on rice

I would eat more rice .... if I could find a decent curry ... anyone know where I can find one?

by the way... you dont have to be living below the poverty line to aspire to a macro biotic diet ... I know some very rich people who starve themselves ... Look at Victoria Beckham...

I have a theory... rich white women are starving themselves to death.. in solidarity for their poverty line living sisters who cannot afford to eat healthily less like what they do...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by eddie007
I would eat more rice .... if I could find a decent curry ... anyone know where I can find one?
Yes. Ooops, but not in WA... sorry...

Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Sammix will become famous soon enough

by the way... you dont have to be living below the poverty line to aspire to a macro biotic diet ... I know some very rich people who starve themselves ... Look at Victoria Beckham...

I have a theory... rich white women are starving themselves to death.. in solidarity for their poverty line living sisters who cannot afford to eat healthily less like what they do...
I haven't had a decent curry since I left home.. Your making me starving
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:57 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I might order Indian tonight after this thread!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Sammix will become famous soon enough

I have fish and no carbs
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Nimbys are to blame

Nimby -> No skyscrappers
No skyscrappers -> More arable land consumed
More arable land consumed -> Less grains
Less grains -> Less animals
Less animals -> Less meat
Less meat -> Expensive meat
Expensive meat -> Aussies on Rice

Ban the Nimbys
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I WAS having left over curry from last night... but unfortunately Kevin came round and helped herself... to the lot

buggerit... got a real craving now, and where the empty tupperware is I'm being teased by the smell... now should I wash up and remove all traces of the curry? or go to bed?

let me see

that'd be bed then
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:17 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

I don't eat rice. Have you seen the size of them Paddy fields and do you think the chinks walk to the edge of them to have a piss?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Lots of Aussies living on rice

Originally Posted by mohogony
l think OZ has the second biggest gap between the rich are poor in the western world behind the USA.
No.

(Source).
The gap between Britain's richest and poorest is wider than it was 40 years ago, a report commissioned by the government said on Wednesday. The National Equality Panel study, authored by academic experts, found that by retirement age the differences in wealth can be "colossal". The panel found "systematic differences" in equality outcomes remained between social groups, and said many people would find the "sheer scale of inequalities" shocking.
(Source).

Differences in national income equality around the world as measured by the national Gini coefficient. The Gini coefficient is a number between 0 and 1, where 0 corresponds with perfect equality (where everyone has the same income) and 1 corresponds with perfect inequality (where one person has all the income, and everyone else has zero income).
(Source).

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Aug 9th 2010 at 7:39 am.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:34 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
We live on rice by choice! It's a staple!
Are you talking about paper again?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Turban Indian Restaurant
3/248 Stock Rd, Melville WA 6156, Australia

http://www.theturban.com.au/

Silly name, but they did an awesome vindaloo.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't seem to do the Chinese any harm.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's ridiculous that a water intensive crop like rice is grown in Australia.
I agree 100%, particularly when you consider where it is grown in southern to central NSW which is basically a semi arid area. They suck up a huge amount of Murray/Darling irrigation water and damage entire ecosystems. Can you believe they grow cotton there as well?

Rice is a very popular food in Australia. We cook a lot of Asian meals here, stir fries, noodles, curry etc. (curry is much more popular as a home cooked meal here than something you take away or eat from a restaurant). Wheat remains the basic staple grain though.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I love eating rice on it's own, so this can only be a bonus to me if it's socially accepted over there!!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

A bit OT but what is this "dream" people keep on going on about when considering/talking about Australia, do people honestly think Australians sit around pools all day, never pay bills and don't work???

Originally Posted by lumpommer
I just read somewhere that because of the expensive cost of things in OZ, many people are having to live on rice just to survive.

A lot of people are drowning in debt.

It seems the dream is over for many people unfortunately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.