Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Aussies living on rice

Lots of Aussies living on rice

Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of Aussies living on rice

Originally Posted by lou1003
I'm from the Black Country!
And I like rice .... I eat a lot of rice.

Do these two characteristics relate?!
I don't think so. I eat lots of rice but I don't think I've even been to the Black Country
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Lots of Aussies living on rice

Rice is for rich people. We live on a handful of mung beans every month.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:19 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Do I look like ABC ?
I couldn't say as I've never seen ABC or you. You maybe identical twins...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Rice is for rich people. We live on a handful of mung beans every month.

Is that a handful each or one handful for all three of you? It matters that we have the real facts.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Sammix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Is that a handful each or one handful for all three of you? It matters that we have the real facts.
I've turned to noodles now to keep costs down hah ha
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Lots of Aussies living on rice

One handful for the three of us. This is ABSOLUTELY TRUE, I am NOT EXAGGERATING.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:22 am
ABCDiamond

$2.84 Sunrice Rice White Premium Long Grain 1kg
$1.00 kg Potatoes (based on $3.99 for 4kg Potatoes)

Stick the rice, it's too expensive

Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
One handful for the three of us. This is ABSOLUTELY TRUE, I am NOT EXAGGERATING.

So why was your wife buying meat the other day? Hmm, a stretching of the truth I think
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:27 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

The problem is immigration is too high pushing up house prices and rent in the cities, The rich and property developers benefit from high immigration ordinary people suffer.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:49 am
ABCDiamond

Around 20% of the population in Queensland are thought to actually live below the poverty line,
Originally Posted by Amazulu
That's a lot. Do you know what the rate is in the UK?
Do I look like ABC ? He'd like to compare I'm sure

In 2007/08, 13½ million people in the UK were living in households below this low-income threshold. This is around a fifth (22%) of the population
http://www.poverty.org.uk/summary/key%20facts.shtml
Low Income threshold appears to be the same as poverty line.

Australian Poverty definition:
Here the standard is set at half the average disposable income for a household type, consisting of a couple with two children, with incomes adjusted using an equivalence scale to determine comparable poverty lines for other types of households. If a household’s disposable income is below the poverty line then all the members of that household are deemed to be in poverty.
23 May 2005
Based on a definition of poverty that is described above, 9.3 per cent of all Australians are living in poverty. The poverty rate varies widely between electorates, from 2.1 per cent in Bradfield (NSW) to 15.1 per cent in Braddon (Tas). http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/r...-05/05rn49.htm

UK Poverty definition
The most commonly used threshold of low income is a household income that is 60% or less of the average (median) British household income in that year.

According to the Smith Family in 2001, 13.0% of Australians live in poverty (2.86 million).

The UN Human Poverty Index for 2006 showed:
17.00% United States
16.20% Ireland
14.20% Spain
12.70% Italy
12.50% United Kingdom
12.20% Australia

11.80% Japan
11.40% Canada
8.40% Germany
8.00% Belgium
But their definition is slightly different.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In 2007/08, 13½ million people in the UK were living in households below this low-income threshold. This is around a fifth (22%) of the population
Low Income threshold appears to be the same as poverty line.

Australian Poverty definition:

23 May 2005
Based on a definition of poverty that is described above, 9.3 per cent of all Australians are living in poverty. The poverty rate varies widely between electorates, from 2.1 per cent in Bradfield (NSW) to 15.1 per cent in Braddon (Tas). http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/r...-05/05rn49.htm

UK Poverty definition

According to the Smith Family in 2001, 13.0% of Australians live in poverty (2.86 million).

The UN Human Poverty Index for 2006 showed:
17.00% United States
16.20% Ireland
14.20% Spain
12.70% Italy
12.50% United Kingdom
12.20% Australia
11.80% Japan
11.40% Canada
8.40% Germany
8.00% Belgium
But their definition is slightly different.
Rougly the same then. This is what I expected given both countries have similar per capita GDP etc.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:04 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Lots of Aussies living on rice

So why was your wife buying meat the other day? Hmm, a stretching of the truth I think
She wasn't buying; just looking and wishing. It's free to look!

Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:31 am
ABCDiamond

Around 20% of the population in Queensland are thought to actually live below the poverty line,
I just looked up QLD specifically.

In Queensland 2007-2008 for individual earners:
  • 7.63% have a mean average disposable income of $16,059.84 per year
  • 12.94% have a mean average disposable income of $27,186.74 per year
  • 17.11% have a mean average disposable income of $36,187.16 per year
  • 22.18% have a mean average disposable income of $46,429.08 per year
  • 40.14% have a mean average disposable income of $84,851.57 per year

This includes Full time and part time earners

Poverty line according to The Smith family would be a household income of under $42,874 gross. based on this: The Smith family researchers "added up all the pay packets in Australia and divided them by the number of wage earners. That average is then halved to find the poverty line" (the Mean). and 6523.0 Household Income and Income Distribution, Australia - Detailed tables, 2007-08, showing $85,761 Mean Gross Household income per year.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:31 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l don't beleive Aussies are living on rice considering Aussies are either the fatest or second fatest people in the world.l think they are living on cheap junk takeaway food.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I just looked up QLD specifically.

In Queensland 2007-2008 for individual earners:
  • 7.63% have a mean average disposable income of $16,059.84 per year
  • 12.94% have a mean average disposable income of $27,186.74 per year
  • 17.11% have a mean average disposable income of $36,187.16 per year
  • 22.18% have a mean average disposable income of $46,429.08 per year
  • 40.14% have a mean average disposable income of $84,851.57 per year

This includes Full time and part time earners

Poverty line according to The Smith family would be a household income of under $42,874 gross. based on this: The Smith family researchers "added up all the pay packets in Australia and divided them by the number of wage earners. That average is then halved to find the poverty line" (the Mean). and 6523.0 Household Income and Income Distribution, Australia - Detailed tables, 2007-08, showing $85,761 Mean Gross Household income per year.
l think OZ has the second biggest gap between the rich are poor in the western world behind the USA. Theres a huge gap in OZ between the haves and have nots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.