Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Aussies living on rice

Lots of Aussies living on rice

Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:53 pm
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lots of Aussies living on rice

I just read somewhere that because of the expensive cost of things in OZ, many people are having to live on rice just to survive.

A lot of people are drowning in debt.

It seems the dream is over for many people unfortunately.

Last edited by lumpommer; Aug 8th 2010 at 5:58 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lots of Aussies living on rice

Lets hope thats not true
Are you from the black country?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I believe thats the report you were looking for :

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...30/2940555.htm

Mortgage rates are staying as they are for the next few months. Sadly I think there was always going to be some mortgage stress from those who thought, for some reason, that rates in January 2009 when the RBA moved them down 2% would stay. But that's not I suspect the underlying reason for that report.

Around 20% of the population in Queensland are thought to actually live below the poverty line, a fact not exactly touted by those with dreams of Ramsey Street, economic uncertainty can take its toll. So if you were to question a stratified selection of the Queensland population you would probably end up getting the answer that 1 in five people eat less to pay the bills.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Due to the drought, Australia’s rice crop has been decimated in recent years. These rice farmers and processors would love to be eating rice.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We eat a lot of rice but we are not in debt, its not that cheap
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Due to the drought, Australia’s rice crop has been decimated in recent years. These rice farmers and processors would love to be eating rice.
It's ridiculous that a water intensive crop like rice is grown in Australia.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer
I just read somewhere that because of the expensive cost of things in OZ, many people are having to live on rice just to survive.

I would go for pasta myself.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Centurion
Around 20% of the population in Queensland are thought to actually live below the poverty line
That's a lot. Do you know what the rate is in the UK?

Not being argumentative but it would interesting to know.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That's a lot. Do you know what the rate is in the UK?

Not being argumentative but it would interesting to know.
Do I look like ABC ? He'd like to compare I'm sure
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer

We live on rice by choice! It's a staple!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

Around 20% of the population in Queensland are thought to actually live below the poverty line,
Where is that line?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
We live on rice by choice! It's a staple!
I'm living on staples, they are free at work.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'm living on staples, they are free at work.
They're a bugger when you catch one on an old style fillings though
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by deb68
Lets hope thats not true
Are you from the black country?
I'm from the Black Country!
And I like rice .... I eat a lot of rice.

Do these two characteristics relate?!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
They're a bugger when you catch one on an old style fillings though
True, but I'm so poor I have any manky teeth yanked straight out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.