Losing Accent

Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Losing Accent

My two kids have got the Aussie twang now, we have been here over 2 and a half years. The youngest who was 6 when we arrived picked it up really quickly and the eldest who was 13 soon followed. They both have varying ranges of twang, and it is hiliarious to listen to the both taking on the phone, they go from a mix of Geordie/Aussie to 100% Aussie twang.

I think that me and hubby sound pretty much the same, maybe the geordie accent has been toned down a bit as we have had to adjust so that people can understand what we are saying.

I worked with someone who kept saying holey dooley and I found it a real worry that if she kept saying it all the time, that i might pick it up and start saying it myself.

Julia
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:27 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
My accent is a mish mash, one of the guys at work picked up on my Westcountry 'twang' immediately.

Someone said to me that the Southern accent is a 'blank canvas' for picking up accents.

I have spoken to Brits at work who proudly claim that they have not picked up an Aussie accent and anyone that has is putting it on. They were quite dismayed when I told them that to me, they had a slight Aussie accent.

You might not think that you have changed but as someone said, others will pick up on the fact that you have - no matter how small that change.

We have a girl from Liverpool working in our office and she has an Aussie twang to her accent yet when she is pissed, her original accent comes back stronger than ever.

I was making a video diary for my Dad last week and when I played it back, I noticed myself sounding slightly Aussie in certain words. But what is really funny is that my Devonshire accent is still quite prominent when I say certain things - especially when I get together with one of my BE friends - Streaks

My Dad said I sound a bit different although to me, I think I sound the same. And even more strange, Mr PP who has his own accent of course with his broken English, is picking up this accent far more than he ever did in England.

In my department, I work with Aussies and the same for Mr PP - so I guess we might pick it up more, who knows?

I am fiercely proud of my accent and don't realise that it may be changing - my job involves alot of telephone work and the people that I communicate with are Australian so a large part of my job involves listening to a strong accent.

Oh yes, learning the new words is fun - I never knew that a toilet is sometimes referred to as a 'thunderbox' and I so love the word 'bashing' instead of 'assault'.
The West country accent hangs on for years, i was born a "moon raker" [whiltshire] but the first 10 years of my life was spent in a Dorset village, the last 46 years spent in various parts of Australia, i have never returned to the UK.........Yet every now and again i let a word slip and some one will say are you a pom?........to which i reply "many years ago" .................mm
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Oz for 6 mths and I have picked up various Kiwi sayings and some words come out with a Kiwi twang, All my new mates are Kiwi and there are alot of them on the GC.

My oh and son find it really funny, maybe I should have emigrated to NZ
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Mine went years ago but then, being a South Easterner it wasnt really very strong in the first place (IMHO) and there wasnt much of a drift necessary. I am not broad strine though, I absolutely refuse to engage in rising terminals although my (Suffolk) MIL and at least one of my BILs use them all the flaming time (drives me nuts).

DS has been in UK for 6 years now and sounds very RP but I suppose he has to in the environment he works in - the intonation and occasional English phrase are sometimes really obvious.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

The saying goes - once you're over 15, you keep your accent..

In my experience, I went to London from South Africa at the age of 25 for 2 years, then lived in Aberdeen, Scotland for 16 more years, then came to Melbourne 2 years ago and I still have the same SA accent I started with!

I think I proved the old saying correct!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:57 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here for the best part of 2 years. My youngest is now five and a few words sometimes come out sounding a bit Ozzie. Our eldest started to sound Ozzie within a couple of weeks of starting school. However, when this was pointed out to him by relatives in the UK he was horrified and now makes a huge effort to keep his Southern accent. I teach high school maths and Computing so I spend a lot of time in conversation with Australian teenagers and I share an office with six Ozzie teachers consequently, the odd word such as computer and negative (as in number) sometimes comes out sounding a bit Ozzie.

ACE

Last edited by ACE; Jun 30th 2008 at 4:00 am.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:46 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stariston
Do you want an Aussie twang
Like a hole in the head....

Originally Posted by stariston
or are you proud of your Accent
Yes I am.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

In my nearly 7 years of experience of being an Englishman in Melbourne I have worked hard not to lose my accent – even though my English friends tell me I have an Aussie twang to it now.

Being an Englishman in Melbourne is a fantastic way to pick up over here.
All you have to do is politely offer a lady a drink and suddenly she is telling you about her long lost uncle in London or her month backpacking round Europe.

If you maintain your ‘Englishness’ and act like a gentleman (open doors, offer seats, buy drinks, smile and show interest in the subject) then one is often ‘in’.

The last thing I would want is to be lumped with the 10million odd Aussie bogans who wouldn’t know how to treat a lady if they’d read the instructions on the back of a VB stubbie.

My accent distinguishes me and defines me. I love it.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:52 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
In my nearly 7 years of experience of being an Englishman in Melbourne I have worked hard not to lose my accent – even though my English friends tell me I have an Aussie twang to it now.

All you have to do is politely offer a lady a drink and suddenly she is telling you about her long lost uncle in London or her month backpacking round Europe.

If you maintain your ‘Englishness’ and act like a gentleman (open doors, offer seats, buy drinks, smile and show interest in the subject) then one is often ‘in’.

The last thing I would want is to be lumped with the 10million odd Aussie bogans who wouldn’t know how to treat a lady if they’d read the instructions on the back of a VB stubbie.

Also a good way to get yer head punched in..............mm
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

Only been here a year, but already the children sound quite Ozzie! I won't change mine but I do find myself using many expressions which irritate me. As a teacher, I find the students listen carefully to my accent...for the first few mins...then they 'bag' me for it!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mr mover
Also a good way to get yer head punched in..............mm

Not in my experience.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:08 am
Banned

Not in my experience.
Yer right their a bit soft in Melbourne.............mm
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

amt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really nice

I'm 23 & moving over in 2 and a half weeks.... intrigued as to whats gonna happen, totally agree with the mimicking by accident of strong accents, I used to do it as a kid and only realised after i was doing it and that it probably wasnt going down too well!!! Got a blank, southern (non) accent .... who knows!!

Amy
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

claire doyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amt383
I'm 23 & moving over in 2 and a half weeks.... intrigued as to whats gonna happen, totally agree with the mimicking by accident of strong accents, I used to do it as a kid and only realised after i was doing it and that it probably wasnt going down too well!!! Got a blank, southern (non) accent .... who knows!!

Amy
Well my kids are picking up the accent but my strong Welsh accent is never going to go everyone says its lovely ... what they mean is they cant understand a bloody word i say!! I have changed the way i say coke though cake not coke !! got lots of English friends and they cant understand me either. You got to try and adapt or whats the point. I do try and talk slower and find the hardest thing is talking over the phone. But a lot of it is to do with the different words we Welsh use. It is funny when parents have a strong Uk accent and the kids talk Aussie. But i know when i went back to wales for a holiday i thought everyone was putting the accent on and couldnt believe that i sounded like them! ... Happy to be Australian
Old Jul 5th 2008, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Still single are we? My experience (and from watching UK reality shows !) is that a good cut glass accent can impress but many UK accents sound plain awful and often come with poor diction - good diction which I think can make up for accent. I think it is often the curiosity factor.

A recent UK trip saw us meet up with an Australian dancer who has a nice cut-glass RP accent after 10 years in London. I thought it was terrific but she said we sounded a bit Australian. I thought it was good that no party was judgemental about the ''swap'' - a lot of people have very strong views about losing or keeping an accent.

Thére's a bloke at work who can mimic a lot of English accents. He does them very well - too well.

I find some Victorians have very good diction. They don't have a twang and don't sound classicly Australian nor do they infact sound English really. It's a very pleasant accent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.