Losing Accent

Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all
Default Losing Accent

Do you want an Aussie twang or are you proud of your Accent,
It amazes me how quick migrants lose there accent
Then others unwittingly keep a strong Uk local ones
Personally i think some people put a lot of it on ,more so when returning
to uk .
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Losing Accent

My kids have now got an Ozzie twang but we have both kept our British accents and are proud of it.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:46 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't lived in the UK for 6 years but moved to Oz just 7 weeks ago. I think my Yorkshire accent is going to get stronger as my best friend has been here ten years and speaks it as broadly as ever.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
My kids have now got an Ozzie twang but we have both kept our British accents and are proud of it.
Yer kids pick it up quick as a flash .Its the adults who confuse me
on watching a copy of wanted down under the would be migrants had
Aussie twangs and had not been to Australia ,i think uk soap operas
may be a bit to do with it
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by stariston
to uk .
Been here over 2 years and none of us have Aussie accents at all, even my 2 lads who mix with Aussie kids at school. Infact they sound more Yorkshire than ever before
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stariston
to uk .
I think that certain people have this unwitting knack of picking up on accents and quickly mimicking them. My older sister used to do it when we went on holiday with my parents when we were kids and it used to annoy the living daylights out of me as I thought she was putting it on, but to be honest I don't even think she knew she was doing it!!!!!! We've been here 13 months and to be honest people still comment every day on my scottish accent, somehow don't think I'll ever lose it but I'm 34 and don't event hear myself as having an accent but obviously do so probably unlikely to change. To be honest I struggle sometimes to tell the difference between english and australian accents . Maybe its just me but find that the way they preonounce certain words to be really similar and have got mixed up a couple of times
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:07 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It puzzles me that people in shops, when I mention I've only been here a few weeks (as I cock up my EFTPOS transaction yet again), often say, Oh so it must be nice to be home.

My husband watched way too much Neighbours I think, as he always says sentences like a question, but I didn't think I had a hint of Aussie. If I do it must be all the Aussie mates we had in Asia.

My GBF makes me laugh as, having been here ten years, he uses many Aussie sayings - in a broad east Leeds accent.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Been here over 2 years and none of us have Aussie accents at all, even my 2 lads who mix with Aussie kids at school. Infact they sound more Yorkshire than ever before
The old Aussie shopkeeper trick question askings how long you been hear
you reply x amount of years thay say you aint lost your Accent?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Been here 4 and a half years not been in Wigan for nearly 10 and still speak Wigan or Lankyshire.

Was with a guy in the gym today from Leeds and he had been here 40 years and you would have never have guessed.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

when folk in UK talk to me on the phone always get told i sound like an aussie...but when I talk to aussie's they always pick up my English accent...also find that the further north and west parts of the Uk you come from the less you pick up the aussie twang. Also think a lot of Brits don't realise they are getting an aussie lilt to their voices...none of us sound how we think we do most of the time...just got to listen to ourselves on a dvd/video to hear that
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

In my head I have the same Thames Estuary sub-cockney accent, but when I speak to the UK they say I sound like a right aussie. So who knows.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

I picked up 'Stoked' into my everyday language after only 6 months of working at Telstra. Also a proper Gold Coast thing is to say AYE a lot at the end of a sentance - and sometimes people will say something then random put 'But' at the end! Which is all a bit strange but I suppose its just the same as where i'm from in Essex some people say 'Innit' and 'Ere' alot!
My sister has been here 2 years and has totally picked up an accent but she works with the public all day.
As people have already said the children and Tweens pick up the accent really fast.
Anyway it will be back to Estuary English for me in 5 weeks - In fact I have a very good view of the Estuary from my Flat haha Innit!!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Just the thought of unwittingly saying the words *fair Dinkum
makes me want to cringe
Old Jun 21st 2008, 7:48 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd quite like an Aussie accent, but it aint gonna happen. My London accent is spotted all the time and I can't shift it! ...

On the other side the kids both have full Aussie accents. My daughter tried to hold onto her London accent but couldn't.

I spoke to my son's boss recently on the phone and when she got off asked him if he was a Pom as she didn't know from his accent.

I think if you arrive here 16 and under you stand a good chance of getting it, but anything after and you're stuck with what you got!

When I speak to family back home they say I still sound NOTHING like an Aussie! ...
Old Jun 21st 2008, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

SONG AUSTRALIA

Aussie Aussie Aussie
I am a fair dinkum Aussie
We all are fair dinkum Aussies
Aussie Aussie Aussie
I am a fair dinkum Aussie
We all are fair dinkum Aussie
Oi Oi Oi

Need to sing this to dispell my hang-ups
feel better now must be the cold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.