British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Looks like I am coming to the Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/looks-like-i-am-coming-oz-907406/)

Chim1 Jan 2nd 2018 4:40 pm

Looks like I am coming to the Oz

So I received a bit of a left field offer early December for a position in Port Macquarie, offer is very good on the face of it but would like to get some feedback on some aspects of Australia so have some questions. Its a fairly senior role with a large organisation in Oz and the role itself is very attractive to me. So questions are

Whats life like in Port Macquarie for a 50 year old and his wife, also kids may come over, 19 and 25, are there many activities job possibilities for them, daughter is a beautician and son business administration. Crazy golfer so hoping some good clubs to join.

Salary package looks good, if my earnings are 200k plus a year in the UK (Scotland) would 450k in Oz provide the same standard of living. Please note, house and car would be provided and on a 457 visa for the family

I am assuming climate is similar to the likes of Florida, is this correct, if not whats it like weather wise.

Bugs, I hate bugs. Assuming I am not going to actually see many though :)

Coming back to UK, I will be paying superann, I hear I can claim this back as soon as I leave, does anyone know if I am taxed on.

Not seeing this as a permanent move and keeping the house in the UK so very little risk for me and treating it asa few years in the sun and some nice life experience

verystormy Jan 2nd 2018 5:42 pm

Re: Looks like I am coming to the Oz

While $450k wouldn't normally be the same lifestyle as £200k in Scotland, if a house is thrown in, then should be. It is a very high wage.

Your childr n will not be able to go on your visa as dependants. They are eligible for working holiday visas which would give them a year and if they undertake specified work in a regional area such as farm work, they could qualify for a second year.

Chim1 Jan 2nd 2018 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12409347)
While $450k wouldn't normally be the same lifestyle as £200k in Scotland, if a house is thrown in, then should be. It is a very high wage.

Your childr n will not be able to go on your visa as dependants. They are eligible for working holiday visas which would give them a year and if they undertake specified work in a regional area such as farm work, they could qualify for a second year.

Thanks for the reply, on the Children. Have been told that we will all get 457 Visa's. Not really up on the whole thing and only taking it at word from the company. Is there something that would stop the kids getting the 4 year Visa ?

quoll Jan 2nd 2018 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chim1 (Post 12409360)
Thanks for the reply, on the Children. Have been told that we will all get 457 Visa's. Not really up on the whole thing and only taking it at word from the company. Is there something that would stop the kids getting the 4 year Visa ?

Independence. If they’re independent adults in work they’re ineligible. If they’re under 25 and in full time education then possibly but you don’t want to be paying for them to study as international students in Australia.

Oh and don’t worry, you’ll get used to the bugs - flies, mozzies, ants (terrestrial and flying), moths, possibly cockroaches, spiders - most of them won’t kill you.

Chim1 Jan 2nd 2018 6:32 pm

Thats interesting, not in study. One is 25 the other 19. Going to have to ask them about this as may be a deal breaker if they can not arrange something for them.

The bugs may also be a deal breaker, hate bugs :(

verystormy Jan 2nd 2018 6:45 pm

Once children are over 18 they can only be included if in full time education and once 25 it is almost impossible regardless.

Though they could do up to two years with you, which given you will only be there for a max of 4 years? (If they don't mind doing farm work for three months).

To be honest though dependents even wives can have issues finding work on 457 visas because employers know their fate isn't in their hands - if the main visa holder loses they job, they all have to leave.

Chim1 Jan 2nd 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks guys, interesting. The wife will not be looking to work, perhaps a bit of voluntary stuff but thats it. Are there any other Visa options that would be better suited. Company in question has a lot of pull and seems to be able to negotiate the red tape easily.

Dorothy Jan 2nd 2018 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Chim1 (Post 12409429)
Thanks guys, interesting. The wife will not be looking to work, perhaps a bit of voluntary stuff but thats it. Are there any other Visa options that would be better suited. Company in question has a lot of pull and seems to be able to negotiate the red tape easily.

No company can have enough "pull" to change the visa rules. Your children do not meet the criteria to be included in your visa, so no matter what the company tells you DIBP won't be bending the rules for them.

Working holiday visas are an option as stated above, or if they have skills on the skills list they could apply for their own visas.

Ozziechris Jan 2nd 2018 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Chim1 (Post 12409429)

Yes I'm afraid no company has enough pull to change visa requirements. Your children are adults now and would need to apply individually or as suggested go for the working holiday visa.

Chim1 Jan 2nd 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks folks, may be a deal breaker if they can't work something for the kids. Will have a look into the working holiday visa though.

Beoz Jan 2nd 2018 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Chim1 (Post 12409456)
Thanks folks, may be a deal breaker if they can't work something for the kids. Will have a look into the working holiday visa though.

Shouldn't you be kicking them out of home about now? :)

Port Mac is a nice spot. Quiet but nice. 450k living there you will be the king of the town.

Dorothy Jan 2nd 2018 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12409469)

Pretty much. By 19 I was living on my own and by 25 married and owned my own home.

Both of my children were independent by 19 as well.

Chim1 Jan 2nd 2018 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12409469)

Port Mac is a nice spot. Quiet but nice. 450k living there you will be the king of the town.

lol, yes, they should be out. Have tried to shift them, no luck yet though. They are both working back here in Scotland, just want to give them the option, if I'm being honest don't really want them to settle in Oz as I will not be staying so the temp holiday work Visa having read about it now would probably fit.

Not sure about being king, happy just to enjoy the Sun and fit in for a while :)

Beoz Jan 2nd 2018 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Chim1 (Post 12409484)
lol, yes, they should be out. Have tried to shift them, no luck yet though. They are both working back here in Scotland, just want to give them the option, if I'm being honest don't really want them to settle in Oz as I will not be staying so the temp holiday work Visa having read about it now would probably fit.

Not sure about being king, happy just to enjoy the Sun and fit in for a while :)

Well $450K per year is not going to hurt you financially. Asking whether its comparable to £200k is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but general rule of thumb, anything above a 2x value is where you want to be.

Good attitude on the temp part. A few years exploring something different is always good fun.

carcajou Jan 3rd 2018 12:19 am

450k in regional Australia, is an exceptional wage.

If you are trying to shift the kids out, this is the perfect excuse.