Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will we have enough money to live on?

Will we have enough money to live on?

Old Jun 14th 2010, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

FruitBatty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will we have enough money to live on?

We we have just applied for our CPV-143 so all things being well we will be in Oz some times in the second half of 2012.

I have been thinking on the question of will we have enough cash/income. Our income will be all be derived from the UK. My partner will have a pension of approx £6,000 per annum, and I will have an income of around £2,500 per month. So lets say roughly £30,000 altogether. I know much depends on the exchange rate but we will hopefully be able to choose the better times as we won't necessarily be living month-to-month as it were.

We are a couple, no dependents. We will probably be living somewhere north of Brisbane, between Strathpine and Noosa Heads. We will be using our savings+uk house sale (approx £325,000) to buy a property outright (after renting for a short time) and keeping maybe $50,000 - $75,000 as a kind of buffer.

We will need to run a small car, and use it minimally - shopping etc.

My questions is: will that be enough? Comfortable?? Scrimp and save time???

Any thoughts/advice musings very gratefull accepted

FB
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

wijay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will we have enough money to live on?

Originally Posted by FruitBatty
We we have just applied for our CPV-143 so all things being well we will be in Oz some times in the second half of 2012.

I have been thinking on the question of will we have enough cash/income. Our income will be all be derived from the UK. My partner will have a pension of approx £6,000 per annum, and I will have an income of around £2,500 per month. So lets say roughly £30,000 altogether. I know much depends on the exchange rate but we will hopefully be able to choose the better times as we won't necessarily be living month-to-month as it were.

We are a couple, no dependents. We will probably be living somewhere north of Brisbane, between Strathpine and Noosa Heads. We will be using our savings+uk house sale (approx £325,000) to buy a property outright (after renting for a short time) and keeping maybe $50,000 - $75,000 as a kind of buffer.

FB

Hi there
I think we will be in the same situation as you. Depending on the exchange rate, 30 thousands will equal at least 50 thousand to 60 k Oz dollars. I think it is enough, especially if you don't have mortgage to pay and of course depends on your life style. We are going to sell our house in the UK and get around £ 250 K to buy, so hopefully mortgage free. We are aiming to earn around that amount but we have two childrens.
I am currently earn £ 45 k and my wife earns around £ 12 k in the UK, and live very comfortably. I know people say that life in Oz is expensive but I guess won't be necessarily more expensive from London where we live. So I think £ 30-40 K will give you "enough" life enjoyment in Oz.

Regards
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:48 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

FB
Is your partners pension an Armed Forces Pension?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

We will probably be living somewhere north of Brisbane, between Strathpine and Noosa Heads. We will be using our savings+uk house sale (approx £325,000) to buy a property outright (after renting for a short time) and keeping maybe $50,000 - $75,000 as a kind of buffer.

FB
That sort of money will get you a very nice house in the area you want to live in. Anywhere on the Sunishine Coast from Maroochydore to Noosa is very pleasant indeed, www.northshorerealty.com.au and www.prdcoolum.com.au will give you a fair idea of prices in the area. Good luck.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wijay
Depending on the exchange rate, 30 thousands will equal at least 50 thousand to 60 k Oz dollars. I think it is enough, especially if you don't have mortgage to pay and of course depends on your life style.
I will agree with that, as long as the FX rate doesn't drop down any further.

We make do on about that income and put a child through private school, so it is definitely do-able.

Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

streuth! if you cant live on that you should be shot! survive on much less than that with 2 dependants
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

to be honest, with no mortgage ect, you will be living it good on that sort of money, the car will need to do more than short trips shopping ect if you want to get about, public transport here can be good but also very poor, the areas you mentioned are more than affordable for you, enjoy your time here and good luck.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
streuth! if you cant live on that you should be shot! survive on much less than that with 2 dependants
OP wants to know if they will be comfortable or will need to scrimp and save. There's nothing wrong with wanting to do more than just survive and suggesting that people that do should be shot seems a little OTT.

To the question, in view of being mortgage free, I would also have thought this would offer a decent standard of living.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
OP wants to know if they will be comfortable or will need to scrimp and save. There's nothing wrong with wanting to do more than just survive and suggesting that people that do should be shot seems a little OTT.

To the question, in view of being mortgage free, I would also have thought this would offer a decent standard of living.

oh dear bring back the good ole days of BE when you didnt get jumped on for making a tongue in cheek comment! Am off to the naughty girls corner to hang my head in shame!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Thank you all very much for these useful replies. You have put my mind at rest. I had actually forgotten to build in the medical side, esp as my partner is on methotrexate for arthritis and I have no idea what that might cost.

But as long as we have more coming in that rushing out the door we will be happy. We live a fairly frugal lifestyle anyway.

Thanks a lot, I feel much better now!

FB
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:12 am
ABCDiamond

Thank you all very much for these useful replies. You have put my mind at rest. I had actually forgotten to build in the medical side, esp as my partner is on methotrexate for arthritis and I have no idea what that might cost.

But as long as we have more coming in that rushing out the door we will be happy. We live a fairly frugal lifestyle anyway.

Thanks a lot, I feel much better now!

FB
Methoblastin 10mg Tablets 50 (aka: METHOTREXATE) Pharmacia $33.30

Methoblastin 10mg 15 Tablets (aka: METHOTREXATE) Pfizer $23.48
Methoblastin 2.5mg Tablets 30 (aka: METHOTREXATE) Pharmacia $10.10
Methotrexate 2.5mg Tablets 30 (aka: METHOTREXATE) Faulding Healthcare $10.11

prescription is required

Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for this ABCDiamond. Prices don't seem so bad. So with your prescription you source them yourself?? Shop around the different outlets??

very interesting!

Thank you again.

FB