Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Longer Wait For Migrants For Benefits

Longer Wait For Migrants For Benefits

Old Dec 20th 2017, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Longer Wait For Migrants For Benefits

This will mean no family benefit payment on arrival. New Start, (dole) will be only payable after three years residence and not the present two.

The government claims 1.3 billion in savings sought from tightening of welfare policy.

Fair enough, I suppose, but will hit some hard with the removal of family benefits so best be aware.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Longer Wait For Migrants For Benefits

Originally Posted by the troubadour
This will mean no family benefit payment on arrival. New Start, (dole) will be only payable after three years residence and not the present two.

The government claims 1.3 billion in savings sought from tightening of welfare policy.

Fair enough, I suppose, but will hit some hard with the removal of family benefits so best be aware.
Awesome news

People should not be moving to Australia in order to access welfare

Smart move ScoMo!
Old Dec 20th 2017, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Awesome news

People should not be moving to Australia in order to access welfare

Smart move ScoMo!

I don't think people do access solely in order to take welfare. What may well happen of course, is that while not having a job is a requirement to enter Australia, not forgetting any number of occupations on the list are not in short supply, the likelihood I'd have thought, is ever more unable to find employment, and now not getting family benefit either.

I'd say an easy vulnerable target that does not address the real issues of to high an intake.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 9:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

II think the real issue is going to be that families will not have the child benefit payments - which were designed to ensure that the children of moneyless jobless migrants did not suffer.
Lets hope it makes a few people think before moving, especially now jobs are not so easy to come by.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 11:11 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

About frigging time, we entered with an Australian 3 mth old, hubby had paid taxes in Australia for years (he was 28 yr old Australian at a time), his earnings grant total of $22k and no Centrelink. Following year we qualified for 23.50 fortnightly with his grand income of $27k. So it followed for ten years.... and we both were paying Ozzie tax at the same time,
I have ZERO. sympathy for anyone new in the country unless true refugee, not boat intake. My hubby paid shitloads in tax before he even met me, he was totally low income earner when we arrived and all help was minimal

We both slaved for years, never minded that, never minded the lack of support but I do mind anyone moving to a new country and calculating government support before they pay a cent into the system.
Sorry but someone decides to move to foreign country without contribution previously, not on.

When it comes to child care rebate, benefits, or annual bonuses, we raised 3 kids to (now) near adulthood without all that shit, never expected it so excuse me but why should all that be handed at the doorstep?
Old Dec 20th 2017, 1:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
About frigging time, we entered with an Australian 3 mth old, hubby had paid taxes in Australia for years (he was 28 yr old Australian at a time), his earnings grant total of $22k and no Centrelink. Following year we qualified for 23.50 fortnightly with his grand income of $27k. So it followed for ten years.... and we both were paying Ozzie tax at the same time,
I have ZERO. sympathy for anyone new in the country unless true refugee, not boat intake. My hubby paid shitloads in tax before he even met me, he was totally low income earner when we arrived and all help was minimal

We both slaved for years, never minded that, never minded the lack of support but I do mind anyone moving to a new country and calculating government support before they pay a cent into the system.
Sorry but someone decides to move to foreign country without contribution previously, not on.

When it comes to child care rebate, benefits, or annual bonuses, we raised 3 kids to (now) near adulthood without all that shit, never expected it so excuse me but why should all that be handed at the doorstep?

Even refugees should only be supported for a year max and then they should be on their own
Old Dec 20th 2017, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Even refugees should only be supported for a year max and then they should be on their own
I wouldn't say supported, I would say encouraged. I have no problem with anyone being encouraged as long as there is return on investment.

If a migrant wants help to start a business, employ others, and ultimately pay tax, I am all for it.

Bit like child care. If it enables well paid women to re-enter the work force and contribute back to society in large tax contributions, fine with me.

This new system of pro rata child care rebates penalising the wealthiest is lefty bullshit and at complete odds to the whole idea of child care rebates.

Tony Abbott had a great idea about extending the maternity leave, encouraging women to enter back into the workforce. Alas another great idea poorly sold by Tony Abbott.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There shouldn't be a time limit as you suggest. Some things in life are a little more complicated than to be decided by a bureaucratic ruling.

You should know refugees enter the country under all different hues, issues, some requiring extensive on going support in torture and trauma counselling, language tuition, cultural adaptation and so on. One boot does not fit all feet and this intake is totally different from the normal migration channels .......
Old Dec 21st 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I'd avoid a wander through the MBTTUK forum if I were you.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 8:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How will it hit hard? You can't be hit by losing something you've not had.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You can't say that. There's no drama to play with.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

Fair comment. Those coming with the expectation of entitlement towards so said benefit I'd suggest. It always takes awhile for information with regards changes to filter through. Especially in early days.