Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long Live the Republic - Time for the Queen to Go!!!

Long Live the Republic - Time for the Queen to Go!!!

Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:20 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default ship the B*ggers back to where they belong. Germany maybe, or we could try Greece

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Very sad and unthoughted out replies one would say, think you'll be very sorry if it ever comes to it.
Hardly. I call it invasion. If England want to keep it's royal family, so be it. I resent the mongrels of royalty.
We did not have any choice to have an English family taking titles that are not theirs.

Sooner we get the vote back home the better, or is that too democratic, vote on the issue?? ... ooh never heard of such thing - at least Aus did have a vote, yes I know it was rigged, choose the queen or choose a president that would be selected by the pollies ( I was here) - But at least here they had a vote, more that I can say for the countries in the UK. It is undemocratic to have no say, no vote on the issue, to pay taxes to a family who we did not put there - Britain has a cheek calling itself democratic.

Last edited by Ceri; Dec 14th 2004 at 1:30 am.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Long Live the Republic - Time for the Queen to Go!!!

Very sad and unthoughted out replies one would say, think you'll be very sorry if it ever comes to it.
In your opinion.

I'll be celebrating when it comes to it. The Royals have done jack for me except leech taxes. At least the Queen has dignity but Phillip is a goofy mouthed idiot and Charles lives with the fairies. The family is in desparate need of some genetic diversity.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:00 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ship the B*ggers back to where they belong.

Originally Posted by Ceri
Hardly. I call it invasion. If England want to keep it's royal family, so be it. I resent the mongrels of royalty.
We did not have any choice to have an English family taking titles that are not thiers.

English!!!!!! Since when have they been English????

The inbred parasites of the House of Sax Coburg Gotha, only changed thier name to Windsor cos they were forced to during World War 1.

The Government of the day made them change it so that Germany's Royal house didn't have the same name as the UK's!

I suppose they serve a purpose as a tourist attraction etc., but all this bowing and scraping nonsense is ridiculous.
If I ever met one of them, there would be none of this, "Sir or Maam", guff!!
"How you doin' mate?", is all I would say.

I don't see why they should demand respect from other human beings, purely because of an accident of birth!

The aristocracy of Britain are now a dying breed, and looked upon as an outdated joke. The Queen is the pinnacle of the aristocracy!
Need I say more??

The Royal Family are no better or worse than any other person on the planet, and if they want respect they should earn it, not expect it.

......Climbs down from his soap box......

Cheers... John....
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scossie

The inbred parasites of the House of Sax Coburg Gotha, only changed thier name to Windsor cos they were forced to during World War 1.

The Government of the day made them change it so that Germany's Royal house didn't have the same name as the UK's!

I suppose they serve a purpose as a tourist attraction etc., but all this bowing and scraping nonsense is ridiculous.

I don't see why they should demand respect from other human beings, purely because of an accident of birth!

The aristocracy of Britain are now a dying breed, and looked upon as an outdated joke. The Queen is the pinnacle of the aristocracy!
Need I say more??

The Royal Family are no better or worse than any other person on the planet, and if they want respect they should earn it, not expect it.

Cheers... John....
read again - I said if England want to keep it's royal family, so be it.
I did not say they are of English breed - also read the title

Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:16 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Ceri....

It wasn't meant as a dig at your post.
I just felt like a bit of a rant, and quoting that bit of text seemed like a good way to start it off.
I think we're thinking along the same lines, as far as the subject of the thread is concerned anyway...

No offence taken, I hope.......

Cheers.... John.....
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:31 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Sorry Ceri....

It wasn't meant as a dig at your post.
I just felt like a bit of a rant, and quoting that bit of text seemed like a good way to start it off.
I think we're thinking along the same lines, as far as the subject of the thread is concerned anyway...

No offence taken, I hope.......

Cheers.... John.....
None taken
Old Dec 14th 2004, 3:37 am
PommieLeague

Need I say more??

Cheers... John....
There not English, they are British, England hasnt been a nation for the past 300 and odd years....

Old Dec 14th 2004, 7:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There not English, they are British, England hasnt been a nation for the past 300 and odd years....
Depends how you define a nation. England, Scotland, France etc will all be regions of the EU. Not sure that it matters too much either.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 8:23 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon, there must be more pro-royalists out there who want to defend her majesty, or is it just the that we've all accepted how weak your arguments are?

Paul.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
As previously said, the UK doesn't have to adopt the US model. It could adopt the Irish model, where you have nice quiet presidents called Mary.

France seems have retained its attraction for tourists without keeping the Monarchy in place.

After Prince Charles' recent complaints about people not accepting their station in life, I am more convinced that the philanderer should not become King (even if he does change his name to George).

Cheers
Alistair
Alistair

I'm not a great monarchist but to be fair to Charles he wasn't saying that people should accept their station in life as in the class system; he was referring to the unrealistic expectations poured upon many young people in schools and the effects of too many thinking they can achieve things above their capabilities (not their station in life). It is fine to have dreams and aspirations but keep them realistic is what I took the gist of Charles' statement to be FWIW - meritocracy not aristocracy.

OzTennis
Old Dec 14th 2004, 9:22 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Alistair

I'm not a great monarchist but to be fair to Charles he wasn't saying that people should accept their station in life as in the class system; he was referring to the unrealistic expectations poured upon many young people in schools and the effects of too many thinking they can achieve things above their capabilities (not their station in life). It is fine to have dreams and aspirations but keep them realistic is what I took the gist of Charles' statement to be FWIW - meritocracy not aristocracy.

OzTennis
OK - I stand corrected. I guess it lost something in translation by the time it got down here.

I would still not rather have him as a King though.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Dec 15th 2004, 4:51 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Shellfish
No, you can't get rid of the monarchy just when we were finally getting a South African in there ... .On a serious note though, (and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) but I have read that the monarchy puts it's "name/stamp" on over 700 charities and raises more revenue for these charities than it costs to keep the monarchy going. If all it takes is 3 minutes of Prince Harry standing with 2 little AIDS orphans in Lesotho to raise funds and awareness, then I am all for it.
OK, I've sat on the sideline too long. You ready to have your myths blown apart, Shellfish?

Surely we are not expected to believe that British people would stop supporting charities that help the neediest people in the world simply because they don't have royal patronage? Would people really stop giving to those concerned with cancer or heart disease that have killed close friends and relatives?

Does anyone actually imagine that having a member of the royal family as a charity's patron adds anything to its overall effectiveness? When people consider giving to a charity, aren't they more concerned with the work it does than with who its patron is? The level of charitable giving in other countries shows that it doesn't depend on royal patronage. It would be a sad reflection on people if that were so. Some of our best -known and most respected charities, like Oxfam and the Salvation Army, have no royal patronage and this has caused them no obvious disadvantages. It would be the case for other charities.

The monarchy is under great stress because of the amount of time that they devote to supporting charities. Indeed, the great quantity of royals we pay for is often justified by their charity work. Some people argue that the end of the monarchy would see a massive decline in giving to charities which have royal patrons. Quite the reverse is the case. Freed from the demands of public office, the Windsors would have even more time to devote to charity work. Also, without the snobbish social pressures arising from a royal family, more charities would feel free to choose patrons purely on merit.

In 2002 a research estimated Elizabeth Windsors personal wealth and the wealth she enjoys as the head of state to be worth around £20 billion. That is £20,000,000,000! Who exactly owns some of the property and art treasures, etc (the monarch or the nation) is uncertain. The research estimates the queens personal wealth at only £1.15 billion. However, she has the use of £13 billion worth of paintings (7,000 of them) and other treasures, e.g. silver, gold, clocks, furniture, ornaments, (700,000 of them!), £60 millions worth of jewellery and medals, £61 million worth in vehicles, and so on.

Our nation (and in particular our politicians) is mad to put up with this. These public assets are ours as a nation to do with as we best see fit. What is certain is that if we pensioned Mrs Windsor off with her £1.15 billion and used the remaining £19 billions worth in some way for charitable purposes, the charities would be massively better off.

Also in 2002 Mrs Windsor avoided paying about £20 million in death duties on her mothers estate. This tax should have gone to pay for things like schools and hospitals.

Finally the cost of providing security and helicopters, bullet-proof cars and so on for the Windsor family's charitable activities is almost certainly more than any extra amount they might raise. What sense does this make? As well as being the patrons of numerous charities, members of the royal family are also major beneficiaries of charity themselves for example the lavish apartments provided virtually rent-free at Kensington Palace and Windsor Castle. Not for nothing has this been described as 'the country's best housing benefit system.'

So actually the Windsor family itself is a very expensive charity that every subject of the queen ends up paying for. We should demand a refund!

It may be a bit on 'cut and paste', but way re-word it when somebody else has already done a good job of it.