a bit more expensive
19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Sep 30th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

one thing that does bug me with prices over here is the price of a pint $10 - $12 down here on the peninsula

even going on the 2 dollars to the pound conversion that is a fiver ... more than i ever paid for a pint in the middle of london
Old Sep 30th 2012, 6:59 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
one thing that does bug me with prices over here is the price of a pint $10 - $12 down here on the peninsula

even going on the 2 dollars to the pound conversion that is a fiver ... more than i ever paid for a pint in the middle of london
i doubt it's considered a "living" cost.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 7:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
and sydney has many nice beaches!
I doubt it is a living cost.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 7:04 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys

That is incredible £2.40 at our local
Old Sep 30th 2012, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think going to the sunshine coast hoping to get work in IT is a massive risk. If you want to move but want to minimise risk then you need to go where the jobs are. We really liked the look of the Whitsundays, but too bad, we knew we had to go to Sydney as we need to work.

I think you are right to pause and reconsider, I would recommend you spend some time investigating Sydney or Melbourne. Sunshine Coast is a great place for a holiday.

I voted for a bit more expensive, it is not so expensive that I wish we had not moved here.
I second this. I have some pretty good IT skills, and am based in Brisbane - plus have a few decent contacts. I'm cautiously optimistic that I may get work within the next few months but aware that if I'm still out of work by Nov, nothing's gonna happen. Australia closes down over Xmas for about 4-6 weeks. Know some really good people in the market, some have been out of work 6-8 months and that's with trying hard to get work. There is a much better chance of work in Melbourne or Sydney. Unless you have particular niche skills that are in high demand, I'd be very pessimistic about finding IT work in the Sunshine Coast.
I voted for a lot more expensive because I love holidays, and can't afford them in Australia!!
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light

Listen if you want to make the move that much just make it. You will find that there are too many opinions that contradict each other. My wife and I both worked full time in the uk but have more spare can here and she is part time ! If we needed more money the extra work is all over the place !
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:44 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riccardo1888
Listen if you want to make the move that much just make it. You will find that there are too many opinions that contradict each other. My wife and I both worked full time in the uk but have more spare can here and she is part time ! If we needed more money the extra work is all over the place !
where in oz do u live?
Old Oct 1st 2012, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
That is incredible £2.40 at our local
Thats nothing. Not unsual to pay $15+ in Perth and i was charged $22 for a vodka and lime in a bar in Perth
Old Oct 1st 2012, 7:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by verystormy
Thats nothing. Not unsual to pay $15+ in Perth and i was charged $22 for a vodka and lime in a bar in Perth
Thats outrageous
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by commonwealth
where in oz do u live?
Dalby Queensland !
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Thats outrageous
Nothing compared to swanky bars in Mayfair. There's only one pub in the city I can think of charging that for a beer, average is about $9-10.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Nothing compared to swanky bars in Mayfair. There's only one pub in the city I can think of charging that for a beer, average is about $9-10.
$9-10 is average, that is ridiculous.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:32 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

I thinks it is impossible to assess the cost of living in Australia and the UK, two different currencies, an exchange rate that is manufactured, two different inflation rates, two different pay rise rates, too many differentials to garner an accurate assessment. Also everyone has different pay, different outgoings, different sized houses and cars, differing amount of family members, it's too complicated to me.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:41 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

$9-10 is average, that is ridiculous.
It is but so is paying five quid for a Guinness in London which I have done many times.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
I thinks it is impossible to assess the cost of living in Australia and the UK, two different currencies, an exchange rate that is manufactured, two different inflation rates, two different pay rise rates, too many differentials to garner an accurate assessment. Also everyone has different pay, different outgoings, different sized houses and cars, differing amount of family members, it's too complicated to me.
Exactly. You can pay well over £4-£5 for a pint in London and as they say perhaps $9 in Perth. Providing you're not a tourist spending £££ on the 1.6 rate and you followed the 2.3-2.5 rule when migrating then what's the diff?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.