a bit more expensive
19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:51 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by martin1978
discounting the silly money 200K+ jobs.
Hey, there's nothing silly about earning $200k+: except for those young currency traders at the banks the only way you'll get to that sort of income is by having many years experience (obtained at low income) in a field where demand outstrips supply. Or by being very good at selling real estate!

I haven't voted in the poll because after having lived here for 30 years I wouldn't have a clue.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:45 am
Just Joined

phat puddock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neil51
Better to impose this on the bank managers, and the career-politicians (especially Thatcher) who have betrayed our ancesters who fought for peace and freedom.

Some of the whelps we hear spouting off nowadays should have tried living under Thatcher's reign of Terror on the working class. Their education and social safety nets were paid for by the working class in taxes, yet they want to claim they are doing it by themselves and that they should not paying anything towards paying for the next generation's social programs.

Sickening!
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
30 lashes fro robbery, 80 for rape.
I have no problem with this - do you?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:50 am
Just Joined

phat puddock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have no problem with this - do you?

I'd prefer suspended sentences....... by the neck!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I was trawling around the supermarket with a relative in tow.

I was gleefully pointing out expensive items and for many he told me they were more expensive, or the same in the UK which surprised me a bit. I did tell him that we are just starting to see changes here.

He did confirm, what I have long suspected - and stated, that at the very least - many, dry goods and groceries are surely cheaper in the UK.

I also showed him bills and rates - and we played Top Trumps. I was amazed to find that in some quarters that again it's still much of muchness, although rates in London are silly money. I did go quiet and retract my grin when he told me what he pays on a flat now.

I believe the cost of living can be similar. It depends what you do, where you do it, and what you spend. It depends for example, when you bought a house and how much of a career you have built up, and your income relative to how and where you live.

2nd hand cars and groceries cheaper in the UK. Petrol and many incidental things are cheaper here. I also think that labour rates are reasonable. I also think there are things like parking which are cheaper or free here. I used to say utils are cheaper here, but surely Aus is playing catchup with power, and insurance. It would be fair to say we have seen increases everywhere.

There are things in Australia where local markets stamp a premium because either the supply chain dictates it, or the seller gets away with it, - this is changing by people going online.

There are many things that aren't so bad - I don't think eating out is expensive, nor is pub food.

Private schooling with some selection can be cheaper in Australia but this is due to church schools.

I believe that there are niches in Australia where you earn more - in oil or gas? I believe that overall, UK salaries are higher or that the money goes further but tell this to many people in London or the SE. I can't help but feel that the stats like average wages are say 50k/70k AUS (etc) are just that - stats. Someone in London is probably commanding more than the person in Melbourne if they are ambitious. I would hazard a guess that the wages scales are wider in the UK. You could earn between GBP30-70k in the UK depending on who you work for - in Melbourne, the scales are far more standard.

It's really hard to say.

If Chris says *it's about the same* but singles out food (etc) then I believe him. He is so positive about the UK.

People will be price sensitive to certain things, and some more so than others. What makes Australia impossible for some is the fact that house prices have not really corrected (much) and that rates are still at 'normal' levels and that migrants come with less capital.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I was trawling around the supermarket with a relative in tow.

I was gleefully pointing out expensive items and for many he told me they were more expensive, or the same in the UK which surprised me a bit. I did tell him that we are just starting to see changes here.

He did confirm, what I have long suspected - and stated, that at the very least - many, dry goods and groceries are surely cheaper in the UK.

I also showed him bills and rates - and we played Top Trumps. I was amazed to find that in some quarters that again it's still much of muchness, although rates in London are silly money. I did go quiet and retract my grin when he told me what he pays on a flat now.

I believe the cost of living can be similar. It depends what you do, where you do it, and what you spend. It depends for example, when you bought a house and how much of a career you have built up, and your income relative to how and where you live.

2nd hand cars and groceries cheaper in the UK. Petrol and many incidental things are cheaper here. I also think that labour rates are reasonable. I also think there are things like parking which are cheaper or free here. I used to say utils are cheaper here, but surely Aus is playing catchup with power, and insurance. It would be fair to say we have seen increases everywhere.

There are things in Australia where local markets stamp a premium because either the supply chain dictates it, or the seller gets away with it, - this is changing by people going online.

There are many things that aren't so bad - I don't think eating out is expensive, nor is pub food.

Private schooling with some selection can be cheaper in Australia but this is due to church schools.

I believe that there are niches in Australia where you earn more - in oil or gas? I believe that overall, UK salaries are higher or that the money goes further but tell this to many people in London or the SE. I can't help but feel that the stats like average wages are say 50k/70k AUS (etc) are just that - stats. Someone in London is probably commanding more than the person in Melbourne if they are ambitious. I would hazard a guess that the wages scales are wider in the UK. You could earn between GBP30-70k in the UK depending on who you work for - in Melbourne, the scales are far more standard.

It's really hard to say.

If Chris says *it's about the same* but singles out food (etc) then I believe him. He is so positive about the UK.

People will be price sensitive to certain things, and some more so than others. What makes Australia impossible for some is the fact that house prices have not really corrected (much) and that rates are still at 'normal' levels and that migrants come with less capital.
Any chance of a summary?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

About the same overall.

Sunshine is cheaper though.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance of a summary?
Yeah, at the end of the day, it's all much of a muchness.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance of a summary?

That was the summary of 8 years of reading this forum and my past and recent experiences.

Saying it in one sentence would make you wonder how I arrived at my conclusions.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:27 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the incredible thing is that say 10 years ago the difference between the 2 countries was huge in Australias favour but now overall there is nothing in it.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I think the incredible thing is that say 10 years ago the difference between the 2 countries was huge in Australias favour but now overall there is nothing in it.
Nah, it's still 15 223.07 kilometres.

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 26th 2012 at 7:48 am.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:03 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Depends on where you're measuring from and to, surely?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Depends on where you're measuring from and to, surely?
http://www.distancefromto.net/distan...United+Kingdom

London to Brisbane is a bit more 16 544.60 km. Handy website methinks.

Fetcham to Kenmore is 16 571.28 km.

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 26th 2012 at 7:27 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How do you flights compare in both directions?

My hunch is that Oz to UK is more expensive than UK to Oz. I could Google it I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.