Reload this Page >

Living costs in Melbourne

Living costs in Melbourne

Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Tallywacker01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living costs in Melbourne

Hi,

I was wondering what the living costs are like in Melbourne at the moment, here's my situation:

I'm 22 year old structural engineering student (working between my university studies for 2 years) and I've been offered a job in Melbourne for a year.

The pay isn't all that good: 500 Aus dollars/week, compared to what I was making in the UK for the last year: the equivalent of just over 1000 Aus dollars/week.

I don't pay taxes on any money I earn, so if I make 500 dollars/week, and pay for my own accomodation, will that leave me much for food, clothes, going out etc?

Thanks,

TW
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living costs in Melbourne

Hi there

I think you'll be hard pressed to rent on your own and have enough left to live on. Many places around the $200-300 mark can be pretty grotty - obviously depends on the area, if you can travel out from the west or outer suburbs then you may do okay but then you'll have extra travelling costs. Where abouts is the job you've been offered?

At your age you might want to consider a house/flat share as this will then help you make some friends and could be quite fun when you are young! We did this when we first arrived (friend of a friend, it was very useful but was getting to me after a few weeks!) but after living on our own for 20 odd years the shine soon wore off! You can find ads on Melbourne Gumtree or maybe someone on here or Britvics might have a room they rent out!

Sounds like a great opportunity so good luck!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:14 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tallywacker01
Hi,

I was wondering what the living costs are like in Melbourne at the moment, here's my situation:

I'm 22 year old structural engineering student (working between my university studies for 2 years) and I've been offered a job in Melbourne for a year.

The pay isn't all that good: 500 Aus dollars/week, compared to what I was making in the UK for the last year: the equivalent of just over 1000 Aus dollars/week.

I don't pay taxes on any money I earn, so if I make 500 dollars/week, and pay for my own accomodation, will that leave me much for food, clothes, going out etc?

Thanks,

TW
Yeah you will have to House share. Look into renting a room try and avoid backpackers areas to live in as they can be really pricey. I know of a bloke who was paying 300 pw for a shared room in St Kilda

Where is the office?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

also try www.flatmatefinder.com.au for shared accommodation
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks,

TW
Just out of interest what visa are you coming over on? If it's a WHV you may have problems as you can't work for the same employer for that length of time. Melbourne certainly isn't cheap but if your prepared to share and not have to much spare cash then you probably could manage, most students here wouldn't earn more than that and somehow they manage. And before someone jumps in and says thats because they all get government handouts, I have two sons at uni and that certainly is not the case!!!

Good luck, it's good to see the younger ones amongst us having a go and doing something positive for themselves.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I live near Oakleigh in SE Melbourne. My rent is $130/week for a room in a houseshare.

Bills are on top - about $20ish a week. Food, easy to spend $40 - $50 a week just on basic rubbish from supermarket.

So already you are looking at a basic minimum of $200 a week. Going out is expensive here. You will be looking at least $8 a pint of beer in a pub.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I live near Oakleigh in SE Melbourne. My rent is $130/week for a room in a houseshare.

Bills are on top - about $20ish a week. Food, easy to spend $40 - $50 a week just on basic rubbish from supermarket.

So already you are looking at a basic minimum of $200 a week. Going out is expensive here. You will be looking at least $8 a pint of beer in a pub.
8 dollars for a beer? Thats like 5 or 6 euros.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi there

I think you'll be hard pressed to rent on your own and have enough left to live on. Many places around the $200-300 mark can be pretty grotty - obviously depends on the area, if you can travel out from the west or outer suburbs then you may do okay but then you'll have extra travelling costs. Where abouts is the job you've been offered?

At your age you might want to consider a house/flat share as this will then help you make some friends and could be quite fun when you are young! We did this when we first arrived (friend of a friend, it was very useful but was getting to me after a few weeks!) but after living on our own for 20 odd years the shine soon wore off! You can find ads on Melbourne Gumtree or maybe someone on here or Britvics might have a room they rent out!

Sounds like a great opportunity so good luck!

I'm really qute surprised at those prices. I haven't yet accepted the job. It's in a suburb about 3 or 4 km north of the centre of Melbourne.

My biggest concern is meeting other people my own age!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Just out of interest what visa are you coming over on? If it's a WHV you may have problems as you can't work for the same employer for that length of time. Melbourne certainly isn't cheap but if your prepared to share and not have to much spare cash then you probably could manage, most students here wouldn't earn more than that and somehow they manage. And before someone jumps in and says thats because they all get government handouts, I have two sons at uni and that certainly is not the case!!!

Good luck, it's good to see the younger ones amongst us having a go and doing something positive for themselves.

I don't know anything about the VISA yet, it's all arranged by the host company, I have not yet accepted the job.

My other concern is meeting other people my age that I can go out with.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:12 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

This may explain it a wee bit better

http://www.bobinoz.com/blog/2935/cos...his-week-beer/
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I don't know anything about the VISA yet, it's all arranged by the host company, I have not yet accepted the job.

My other concern is meeting other people my age that I can go out with.
I prefer the North to the East as seems more fun. I take it you will be around the Brunswick/Collingwood area?

The University of Melbourne is that way and Monash has a campus in Parkville - so I'm sure there'll be lots of students in your direction.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, the last time I went out drinking in South Yarra I spent $80 on booze. shocking.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:08 am

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Yeah, the last time I went out drinking in South Yarra I spent $80 on booze. shocking.
You call that drinking?

That's a wet lunch?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zambia
Yeah you will have to House share. Look into renting a room try and avoid backpackers areas to live in as they can be really pricey. I know of a bloke who was paying 300 pw for a shared room in St Kilda

Where is the office?
if your mate is paying 300 for a shared room he is getting majorly ripped off (unless it is Rippponlea Manor ), st Kilda is cheaper than many areas. I pay $400 a week for a 3 bedder in hampton, so id tell that someone to look somewhere else, you should'nt need to pay more than $150 for a shared room, and if you are a student and happy to live Northern suburbs youll get one for $100 a week easily.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Sherro
if your mate is paying 300 for a shared room he is getting majorly ripped off (unless it is Rippponlea Manor ), st Kilda is cheaper than many areas. I pay $400 a week for a 3 bedder in hampton, so id tell that someone to look somewhere else, you should'nt need to pay more than $150 for a shared room, and if you are a student and happy to live Northern suburbs youll get one for $100 a week easily.
Oh he knew he was getting shafted. he moved on quick enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.