Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living 'costs at least £14,400' for a single person

Living 'costs at least £14,400' for a single person

Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:42 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Living 'costs at least £14,400' for a single person

"A single person in the UK needs a gross income of at least £14,400 in 2010 to live to an acceptable standard, a charity says.

And a couple with two children need £29,200 for a minimum acceptable standard of living, the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) said"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10510360.stm

At todays exchange rate that's $26k for a single person, and $52.7k for a family of 4 - pretty expensive in comparison for an 'acceptable standard of living'.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living 'costs at least £14,400' for a single person

Originally Posted by coolshadows
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10510360.stm

At todays exchange rate that's $26k for a single person, and $52.7k for a family of 4 - pretty expensive in comparison for an 'acceptable standard of living'.
I'm new here so not best placed to judge but I actually thought it would be higher here in Australia (well in Sydney anyway).
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
I'm new here so not best placed to judge but I actually thought it would be higher here in Australia (well in Sydney anyway).
I must admit, $57k for a family of 4 in Sydney would be a massive struggle if no welfare or other supplements.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would say, from when we were in the UK that the figures are about right. We had a combined in income of about 18k pounds. Didnt have room for a lot of luxuries, but we survived. I dont think we could even survive on that here. In fact, i just did a quick claculation and the basic bills with food and rent come to more than that.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 7:20 am
ABCDiamond

to live to an acceptable standard
But what is an acceptable standard ?

Original full report is here: http://www.jrf.org.uk/sites/files/jr...0-findings.pdf

The single person figure allows £52.63 pw for rent.
The Couple + 2 children figure allows £71.18 pw for rent.

Old Jul 6th 2010, 7:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paddyo
I must admit, $57k for a family of 4 in Sydney would be a massive struggle if no welfare or other supplements.
I think the 'London' figure may be higher than the UK average figure as well though. Especially as the average rent for a 2 bed property in London is £425 pw.

£179 pw Manor Park
£1,144 pw South Kensington

Bermondsey fits the average at £425 pw

Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:56 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think the 'London' figure may be higher than the UK average figure as well though.
no shit sherlock.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:20 pm
ABCDiamond

no shit sherlock.
Comparing average Sydney to average London is better than comparing average Sydney to average UK though

Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:44 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing average Sydney to average London is better than comparing average Sydney to average UK though
Totally agree ABC!!!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:53 pm
Pie Eater

Totally agree ABC!!!
Sydney is like London? I didn't think it was anywhere near as big. More like Manchester.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney is like London? I didn't think it was anywhere near as big. More like Manchester.
Only with greater than London prices.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:52 am
Social Grenade Thrower

You are kidding right???? Sydney is MASSIVE!!! Huge metropolitan area which is far bigger than London. The CBD is smaller than Londons CBD but otherwise its definately bigger. Plus its got a greater variation of suburb types.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

You are kidding right???? Sydney is MASSIVE!!! Huge metropolitan area which is far bigger than London. The CBD is smaller than Londons CBD but otherwise its definately bigger. Plus its got a greater variation of suburb types.
Not quite, London metro population is about 13m, Sydney is about 4.5

It doesn't half sprawl though, something like second biggest city land size to Los Angeles.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Now this is spot on and should be pointed out to all new arrivals. If you lived anywhere else in the UK apart from London you will find Oz expensive at the moment. However London is the only comparable city to most if not all of the major Australian metro areas as the wages are of a similar level, hence the expensive prices.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Not quite, London metro population is about 13m, Sydney is about 4.5

It doesn't half sprawl though, something like second biggest city land size to Los Angeles.
i was talking about size of built land not population.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.