Reload this Page >

Living cost in Sydney

Living cost in Sydney

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Chandana is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Living cost in Sydney

Hi

Im no too sure if my previous thread on the same subject got posted as I messed it up a little in updating.

I really appreciate if someone could provide an update on "living cot in Sydney" for a family unit of four (including 2 kids of 9yrs and 7yrs). Hoping to go for a rented accommodation away from the city.

I am gathering this info in order to estimate the amount on money I should bring on arrival.

Thanx and Regards

Chand
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Living cost in Sydney

We're renting a 3 bed house with a pool (although we would have been happy without) for $480/week. It's quite expensive, I've seen other 3 beds for $425 or thereabouts, but not necessarily as nice and a 4 bed for $460 which we just missed. We're in Berowra Heights which is almost as far North as you can go before crossing to the central coast.

We haven't had any electricity or other bills as yet, and I haven't really got control of my food budget to give you any idea on that I'm afraid.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Really do need a bit more info cause living costs will vary with area !!

Where are you looking at living????

You'll find house prices for even the shoddiest shack will be extortionate the closer to Sydney or the popular beach areas that you get, if you're looking out toward blue mountains they're much cheaper as is Gosford and Wollongong way ?

HArd to give advice on such limited details.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Living cost in Sydney

Many thanx to JenJen and Tubbs2oZ

Yes I need to give some more info. Hope I am not troubling u guys?

given below are some basic info on what I expect.

1. I still have not decided the exact place in Sydney. May be you can provide me the max and min range within 50Kms from the City(Basic 1-2 room unit until I settle down)

2. Also pl provide me with food cost for a family of four (with 2 kids) per month
3. Cost of School (Govt School/Church as pvt seems expensive)
4. Any one-off payments in case of accommodation etc.
5. Some idea on cost of public transport.
6. What would be the approx. cost of used car ( mfg in 2000)
7. Cost of per Lt of petrol
8. Cost of family membership for a gym
9. Anything else u think important ( which I may have missed)

Best Regards
Chand
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chandana
Many thanx to JenJen and Tubbs2oZ

Yes I need to give some more info. Hope I am not troubling u guys?

given below are some basic info on what I expect.

1. I still have not decided the exact place in Sydney. May be you can provide me the max and min range within 50Kms from the City(Basic 1-2 room unit until I settle down)

2. Also pl provide me with food cost for a family of four (with 2 kids) per month
3. Cost of School (Govt School/Church as pvt seems expensive)
4. Any one-off payments in case of accommodation etc.
5. Some idea on cost of public transport.
6. What would be the approx. cost of used car ( mfg in 2000)
7. Cost of per Lt of petrol
8. Cost of family membership for a gym
9. Anything else u think important ( which I may have missed)

Best Regards
Chand
Ok so i'm assuming one or both of you will be working in SYDNEY ? or on the outskirts of the city itself?
If you type Sydney into google search and zoom out til it gives you distance at 10km down in the left hand corner then I would say that going out West would take you out to about Penrith - haven't heard great things about the area and wasn't overly impressed on the two occasions we visited the outskirts of Penrith but perhaps others will have some more details about any good areas there?
You could go south (as far as Helensburgh) although we lived at Illawong - prob half way and wasn't overly impressed - Cronulla is nice although you will find nearly all the 'NICE' by the sea suburbs will be quite pricey.
Probably up about as far as Palm Beach (made famous by Home and Away - although mostly quite a quiet beach), or Bewowra way, across to Hornsby, Richmond.
I assume you mean cost of self catering accomodation ??? until you find a rental?
Try www.stayz.com.au
And if you want to look at places to rent i'd advice either of these two
www.realestate.com.au or
www.domain.com.au
domain has a nifty little feature whereby you can select features you'd like such as swimming poor, air con, pets allowed floor boards etc - mind you it's worth checking all the ones you like the look of cause that feature is only as good as the person inputting the details IYKWIM.
Food bills hard to advice as my family is bigger and we may not buy the same sort of things as you so probably best to get some idea is to do a mock shop on www.coles.com.au
One off payments? You mean like the bond you pay when you rent somewhere ??? This will depend on your weekly rent so best to go and look at those websites mentioned above as they often list a bond fee too that will give you an idea.
I would say have a look at this website http://www.131500.com.au/ once you've found a few rental areas you like and input the details between there and where you will be working - hard to give you an idea of costs when I don't know where you want to be travelling to and from but there are various combination tickets you can buy too some will greatly depend on the zone you're travelling in ?
Again don't really know what car floats your boat but hope this helps you www.carsales.com.au is one of the main ones the other is www.drive.com.au. You'll find second hand cars -even rust buckets tend to hold they're value in Oz - many are not bargains as we found out - we got ripped off and you will find they prob won't return your calls as we found too when we tried to get it resolved. Might be worth asking on here for someone to recommend a second hand car dealer???? Or try and buy a new one
Don't quote me and this will prb change soon too but last time I looked I think cost of petrol was about $1.25 ? which is pretty good, although it's always been more favourable than the UK to my knowledge.
My husband used fitness first when we'd returned and said it was really good so you may want to check out their website as I don't know how much it would be for all your family to use it www.fitnessfirst.com.au

As I don't know whats important to you it would be hard for me to advise of anything else.
Generally there are various malls etc which have a wide variety of shops and unless going to a city mall the parking tends to be free.

You'll need to think about going to an RTA there are several if I remember rightly, have a look here: www.rta.nsw.gov.au for info the price you pay for a driving license depends how long you want one for....

Anything else you want to know just post again or do another thread or whatever.

Best of luck
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Many thanx to JenJen and Tubbs2oZ. Thank you once again "JenJen" for your great concern and advise. 99.9% of my issues pertaining to estimating the living cost of Sydney have been sorted with your kind assistance.

Best Regards

Chand
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:22 am
ABCDiamond

Property rentals in Western Sydney are lower than closer to the City, and a very large portion of the Sydney population live in that area.

Western Sydney
Population: 1,848,854
Area: 8,817.3 sq km
The region is home to almost 242,000 businesses
A reasonable 3 bed house can be rented from about $300 pw in some reasonable areas, about 1hr train commute to Sydney CBD.

Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand why people do that? Of course they have their reasons but my reasons for living in Sydney is being close to the CBD and the beach. I pay high rent but I'd feel like I was cheating myself if I didnt live close to the things I want.

Sydney is ridiculously expensive rent wise but its not like its dull grey and boring. Be sure to shop around as there can be some absolute holes that you wouldnt be happy in.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I dont understand why people do that? Of course they have their reasons but my reasons for living in Sydney is being close to the CBD and the beach. I pay high rent but I'd feel like I was cheating myself if I didnt live close to the things I want.

Sydney is ridiculously expensive rent wise but its not like its dull grey and boring. Be sure to shop around as there can be some absolute holes that you wouldnt be happy in.
Cost is the main reason, maybe the only reason.

After all, if you could get a 3 bed house on 800sm of land, near schools and shops for $300 pw in say Manly, who wouldn't go there

$290pw 3 bed detached house with Air con in Western suburbs

$280pw Studio in this, near Manly

A 3 bed house in Manly like this would start at about $750 pw

There will be many average wage earners in the Sydney Western Suburbs, paying a rent, or House prices, that do not take a massive chunk out of their wages.

Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:35 am
Just Joined

naomi20403 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Cost of living in Sydney

Hi,

We plan to relocate in Sydney soon and was keen to get an approx cost of living ( i.e. rental for a 2 bed apt, avg utility costs/ mth , general expenses etc ) for a family of 2 adults + 2 kids . We plan to live closer to Sydney Olympic park .

We are PRs of Oz

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney

threads merged
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney

Originally Posted by naomi20403
Hi,

We plan to relocate in Sydney soon and was keen to get an approx cost of living ( i.e. rental for a 2 bed apt, avg utility costs/ mth , general expenses etc ) for a family of 2 adults + 2 kids . We plan to live closer to Sydney Olympic park .

We are PRs of Oz

Thanks
Hi naomi20403

Are u a SriLankan ? Hope u got the answer to your question too.

Regards