Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

List of things that really are better in OZ.

List of things that really are better in OZ.

Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:05 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Florida_03
Not so. Many of the most safety-critical systems in Australia rely completely on satcoms. A couple of sats provides extremely high-reliability links.
Do I use one?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:06 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Do I use one?
Do you fly?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:30 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

We will have to wait and see...I think however that Australia has become a consumer of the results of the work I do and not a producer.

I have seen what the innovative of this country are capable given the right resources. Some of the work produced was world-class.

The Telecom Research Lab (TRL) produced some great stuff many years ago including the Digital Radio Concentrator System, which provided rural customers with world-class telecommunications. I think TRL is now defunk. Defunked by the accountants (the new COO's and CEO's) who read a balance sheet and only see a cost and have no imagination of the potential gain.

My mother-in-law recently bought a new fridge. Made in the USA. The whole global marketplace is in flux and there will be winners and losers. I believe Australia will lose out on the high value-added activities and remain a primary producer. The banana republic spoken of by Paul Keating is only several years away.
this i guess ,is the point i was making ,with SANTOS, the previous ceo {ADLER} came from a bean counting back ground. ELLIS-FLINT, is a geologist , cost Santos 6 mill to get him , but made that back on the first 2 holes they drilled, he,s not frightend to have a punt ,were,as the accountant only cares about, the bottom line he .shows the share holders ......... MM
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:54 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Do you fly?
Not since 1981 when the airline staff went on strike over Easter. Stuff 'em.

Next?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:16 am
Not here

Originally posted by Megalania
Not since 1981 when the airline staff went on strike over Easter. Stuff 'em.

Next?
Well I did ask for it and you did deliver, boom boom. There is nothing in what you say with which I disagree. We just see things differently. Choices come from other's voices?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
I saw two wedge tailed eagles when I was out riding in the bush the other day, very impressive to watch. There are some really pretty little birds here too, I was starting to miss the little blue tits etc that we used to get in our garden in the UK but I have been discovering some really brilliant blue finch type birds here, not sure what they are but they are really sweet and tend to hang around where I am riding.

Mandy

Keep an eye for the "superb fairy-wren", a wren, obviously, but instead of being brown like ours it has a striking black and blue head, quite easy to spot because of the blue colour. Fantastic little bird.

sashimi
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 10:09 am
Banned

Well I did ask for it and you did deliver, boom boom. There is nothing in what you say with which I disagree. We just see things differently. Choices come from other's voices?
Actually, I was being false and facetious, I have flown domestically 3 times since and many times internationally. I like aeroplanes staying on course so long as they do not course into my house. Good for you, I say, if you can find stimulation in the esoteric, bit guilty myself.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 11:03 am
Not here

Originally posted by mr mover
this i guess ,is the point i was making ,with SANTOS, the previous ceo {ADLER} came from a bean counting back ground. ELLIS-FLINT, is a geologist , cost Santos 6 mill to get him , but made that back on the first 2 holes they drilled, he,s not frightend to have a punt ,were,as the accountant only cares about, the bottom line he .shows the share holders ......... MM
Your point is spot-on MM. I have already tried to influence corporate decisions and have fought fierce battles with the board, executive, and CFO of my previous employer. It has left me tired and battered, and thinking that there has to be a better way, but they now have two major technology investment programs out to tender. These are worth around A$60M in capex. Unfortunately a lot of those dollars will go offshore as the major equipment suppliers are European and USA based. The primes will also invariably draw on their overseas resources and more dollars go overboard.

I have always believed that the boss who went from the shopfloor or mailroom to the boardroom made an exceptional leader. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but these MBA freshmen have got to go.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 7:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Your point is spot-on MM. I have already tried to influence corporate decisions and have fought fierce battles with the board, executive, and CFO of my previous employer. It has left me tired and battered, and thinking that there has to be a better way, but they now have two major technology investment programs out to tender. These are worth around A$60M in capex. Unfortunately a lot of those dollars will go offshore as the major equipment suppliers are European and USA based. The primes will also invariably draw on their overseas resources and more dollars go overboard.

I have always believed that the boss who went from the shopfloor or mailroom to the boardroom made an exceptional leader. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but these MBA freshmen have got to go.
I could not agree more , i hope you come home one day........ MM