Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:37 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: List of Sydney's unsafe suburbs

I've said before, probably on this thread (if I could be bothered to look back) - everywhere has its moment.

I got off the train in North Sydney on Thursday, about 8pm, to find the station full of police. They weren't the fare-dodging police - one had a dog.

That's not a weekly ocurrence so I don't know what was going on (looking for the karaoke murderers sprang to mind) but sleepy little (expensive little) McMahons Point is overrun with teenage drinkers every Thursday night. We can never park outside our own house on Thursdays and on Friday mornings I pick my way through broken glass - and sometimes puke - virtually all the way up to the station.

PR app is underway, we'll probably be buying in the new year - thinking we might as well just save money and move to Redfern
Old Dec 12th 2009, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

dommod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IvanM
Disgraceful. OK the Bondi hotel and Coogee Bay Hotel have a lot of assaults but you have to be hanging around there in the early morning to have an issue.
There hot spots for UK travelers, that probably explains a lot!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
I lived in Kings Cross for 2 years and wouldnt recommend it - living there is different to just passing through.

I never felt very unsafe late at night etc but lots goes on. My visiting friends had the husbands teeth knocked out when we were letting ourselves into the flat, I came home to people screwing against my doors, I regularly woke up to the lovely sounds of "White CAAAAAUUUUUNNNNNNT, YOU WHITE DAAWG" etc, we witnessed lots of assaults - I witnessed in court in one particularly bad one where the victim had his head absolutely smashed to bits, lots of my neighbours were robbed, my dog got a liking to syringes, I would walk to the train station to work and say hi to all the prostitutes - some pregnant. It was fine but mentally I found it exhausting. Its funny, the heroin addicts can be found in inanimate positions all over the place.

After a while I was worming all the vagrants dogs and was on speaking terms with lots of the street people. Many have mental illness and there are lots of vulnerable groups there. I later moved to rushcutters, then darlinghurst - still lots of roughies around but not quite so on my doorstep (although one transvestite did get stabbed in the neck and killed on my door which wasnt great. You want to see the cars that pick up those doggie old prostitutes - unreal - bmws etc. Obviously after something interesting.

I would live in darlinghurst though, loved drummoyne and five dock for family life. Loved Darlinghurst until I got pregnant

Viv

Vivienne
Sounds grim! Although personally I would rather live there than some dull, parochial north shore suburb...
Old Dec 12th 2009, 1:57 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bambi in Sydney
Sounds grim! Although personally I would rather live there than some dull, parochial north shore suburb...
Yes me too - and even 2 streets away from where I lived (Springfield Avenue) is fine and lots of families live there. Just make sure "Potts point" doesnt mean "Kings Cross Central"

If I moved back, with my 3 young children, I would most likely move to inner west. With less children I would choose inner city/Eastern suburbs.

I have also lived at Lane cove (2 years 1994 and 1997), Vaucluse (1999). Vaucluse was a pain and too far to travel in. Lane Cove was ok but needed a train line. Artarman was quite accessible. Northern suburbs (Manly etc) meant I didnt tend to go into the city as much as all that, I didnt think I missed it but it was like only 1/2 the places were available on a day to day basis

Vivienne
Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

I lived in Kings Cross for 2 years and wouldnt recommend it - living there is different to just passing through.

I never felt very unsafe late at night etc but lots goes on. My visiting friends had the husbands teeth knocked out when we were letting ourselves into the flat, I came home to people screwing against my doors, I regularly woke up to the lovely sounds of "White CAAAAAUUUUUNNNNNNT, YOU WHITE DAAWG" etc, we witnessed lots of assaults - I witnessed in court in one particularly bad one where the victim had his head absolutely smashed to bits, lots of my neighbours were robbed, my dog got a liking to syringes, I would walk to the train station to work and say hi to all the prostitutes - some pregnant. It was fine but mentally I found it exhausting. Its funny, the heroin addicts can be found in inanimate positions all over the place.

After a while I was worming all the vagrants dogs and was on speaking terms with lots of the street people. Many have mental illness and there are lots of vulnerable groups there. I later moved to rushcutters, then darlinghurst - still lots of roughies around but not quite so on my doorstep (although one transvestite did get stabbed in the neck and killed on my door which wasnt great. You want to see the cars that pick up those doggie old prostitutes - unreal - bmws etc. Obviously after something interesting.

I would live in darlinghurst though, loved drummoyne and five dock for family life. Loved Darlinghurst until I got pregnant

Viv

Vivienne
Live in the cross!! I don't even drink in the cross. The place is a dump. Anything between haymarket and the cross is to be avoided at night. I lived in Pyrmont and that place is just as bad. My flatmate was stabbed by a lebanese gang for stopping one of them breaking into a car. In Cammeray now which is great, not seen any trouble there in 2 years. Your lucky to find any litter on the floor.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

We can't decide between Newtown and Balmain...
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:58 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

It is more to do with late opening pubs. Westies come in looking for trouble. Bondi has now priced out most travellers.
Originally Posted by dommod
There hot spots for UK travelers, that probably explains a lot!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:07 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting
Old Dec 13th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

To me everywhere could be unsafe if you look like a target.

Originally Posted by caliburn
Based on people's feedback on several threads, I have compiled a list of Sydney's not-so-safe suburbs:

Granville, Bankstown, Lakemba, Liverpool, Cabramatta, Fairfield, Mount Druitt, Blacktown, Auburn, Redfern, Campbelltown, Kings Cross, Wooloomooloo, Penrith, Macquarie Fields, Glenfield, Maroubra, Blackett, Whalan, Emerson, Plumpton, Coogee, Bronte, Bondi, Tamarama, Campsie, Wentworthville, Rooty Hill, St Marys, Parramatta, Greenacre, Punchbowl, Matraville, Lewisham, Glebe, Eastlakes.

Anyone wants to add/remove?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:19 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Barbitana
To me everywhere could be unsafe if you look like a target.
well generally cause I have so much to try and remember I look like a grumpy violent bi**h so does that mean when we move back to Sydney we could live anywhere?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:23 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bambi in Sydney
We can't decide between Newtown and Balmain...
With no financial appraisal - I would say Balmain - no shadow of a doubt. You can walk around with your children at night - it has a nice village feel with lots of pubs and places to eat, easy for town and very accessible.

Newtown is also ok. Ok to go out, lots of interesting things but more students and a bit more skanky. Not as safe. Unless you are a very fringe type person I would say Balmain would be perfect.

Parking is shocking in both
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Big_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Balmain is entirely in a different league than Newtown
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

With no financial appraisal - I would say Balmain - no shadow of a doubt. You can walk around with your children at night - it has a nice village feel with lots of pubs and places to eat, easy for town and very accessible.

Newtown is also ok. Ok to go out, lots of interesting things but more students and a bit more skanky. Not as safe. Unless you are a very fringe type person I would say Balmain would be perfect.

Parking is shocking in both
Originally Posted by Big_mac
Balmain is entirely in a different league than Newtown
Well, our business will more than likely be based in Balmain. But I much prefer the vibe (and the schools, incidentally) in Newtown.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

I found almost all the suburbs along the north shore line very safe. From north Sydney all the way up...

Cheers,
Originally Posted by JenJen
well generally cause I have so much to try and remember I look like a grumpy violent bi**h so does that mean when we move back to Sydney we could live anywhere?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

vic2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Everywhere is unsafe to some degree. I live in one of the more expensive areas and in the last few months we have had the SWAT team raiding a sleepy little cafe via the windows (to arrest a couple of rather nasty men), an ATM blown up, and drunk kids fighting and puking just up the hill almost every weekend.

Successful crims don't live in rough areas, so you can move to Kirribilli and have a gang leader for a neighbour (and I don't mean Kev).

Of course some areas are more safe than others, and you have them included in your list but as PPot says, some of those you included are des res areas. They also get rough because they are at the beach and people go, have a good time, drink too much, get leery. If that's why you've included them, put Manly on there too

We don't have SWAT in Australia! and yet NSW Police don't have an area of such yet, Melbourne does however.

Victoria is the only state to have something like SWAT, it's called SOG, rated one of the most advanced Police Units in the world.

Sydney overall has more crime than any other city in Australia, there is always people dying and they need more Police in NSW.

It's not just technology that's outdated in NSW, it's everything including law and order.

Melbourne has been rated as the safest city in Australia and one of the safest in the world by world standards!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.