Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Deals

Mobile Phone Deals

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice
Default Mobile Phone Deals

Hi,

I have arrived in Brisbane and i have got a job in the CBD. I am looking at mobile networks for my existing phone. The main thing i use my phone for is internet, text and probably texting back to the UK. I will need to phone people also but i dont do that allot. I have had a look at the deals from Telstra, Vodaphone and Optus. I am also after one i am not tied into for 12 months. They all look complicated to me, not as simple as the UK!

What plan is the best for me please? What do you guys use?

Thanks
Old Sep 24th 2011, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mobile Phone Deals

We use Amaysim for ours and are very happy. We didn't want to be tied into a contract.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Amaysim - no contract and you pay only for what you use. My usage is so low that they just add it each month until I've used it enough to make billing it worthwhile.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:53 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Lebara PAYG is also very competitive - we use it to phone the UK. Otherwise we use a cap plan from Optus - I never go over my monthly fee and use my iPhone as freely as I did in the UK, if not more! lol
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

Virgin used to offer best deals (free virgin to virgin calls and all limit could be used for Int'l calls)
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:01 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JetBlast
Hi,

I have arrived in Brisbane and i have got a job in the CBD. I am looking at mobile networks for my existing phone. The main thing i use my phone for is internet, text and probably texting back to the UK. I will need to phone people also but i dont do that allot. I have had a look at the deals from Telstra, Vodaphone and Optus. I am also after one i am not tied into for 12 months. They all look complicated to me, not as simple as the UK!

What plan is the best for me please? What do you guys use?

Thanks
Note, if you are coming from the UK you may well have a 3G 900/2100Mhz only phone. If so then Telstra is going to be out for you (they use 850/2100) and the Optus network is likely to be the only real option. Of the services on that carrier, for your needs, I'd go Virgin PAYG (prepaid). They give you 1GB data per month, plus calls text,etc. for $19. If you top up on the last day of the 30 day validity, unused credit rolls over (max 5 times). Amaysim is another possibility, but seems worse for data.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

stuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond repute

I use CrazyJohn's Flatchat

UK landline 5c per min plus something like 30c flagfall.
Oz texts 1c per text
300MB of data with each recharge, 1c per MB for extra data.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice

Originally Posted by GarryP
Note, if you are coming from the UK you may well have a 3G 900/2100Mhz only phone. If so then Telstra is going to be out for you (they use 850/2100) and the Optus network is likely to be the only real option. Of the services on that carrier, for your needs, I'd go Virgin PAYG (prepaid). They give you 1GB data per month, plus calls text,etc. for $19. If you top up on the last day of the 30 day validity, unused credit rolls over (max 5 times). Amaysim is another possibility, but seems worse for data.
My iPhone is originally from Australia (long story) so i should be ok.

thanks for the tips guys
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GarryP
All of our phones are UK ones and we had Telstra pre-paid in the beginning and had no issues with our phones. They were two Blackberry's and a Nokia one.