Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Health Cover Loading 2-70%!

Lifetime Health Cover Loading 2-70%!

Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice
Arrow Lifetime Health Cover Loading 2-70%!

Does any one have experience of avoiding paying this loading to the medical insurance premium which applies to people over 30 who have not previously had medical insurance? As immigrants or returning residents over 30 years I think we can get exemption from paying this premium loading but in practice what do you have to do to show you are exempt?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lifetime Health Cover Loading 2-70%!

You have 1 year from arriving (being resident) in the country to take out private health insurance to avoid paying the loading. You need to get a statement of eligibility for medicare (from a medicare office) to give to the private health provider.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:35 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimond
Does any one have experience of avoiding paying this loading to the medical insurance premium which applies to people over 30 who have not previously had medical insurance? As immigrants or returning residents over 30 years I think we can get exemption from paying this premium loading but in practice what do you have to do to show you are exempt?
"As a new migrant to Australia, if you are aged 31 or over, you will not have to pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading if you take out private health insurance within 12 months of being registered for Medicare. After this time you will have to pay 2% more for each year you are aged over 30 when you take out private health insurance."
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

So it doesn't seem a good idea to register for Medicare if you have to make a trip just to validate visas.

Best left until you actually move out permanaently?

Charlie
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

So it doesn't seem a good idea to register for Medicare if you have to make a trip just to validate visas.

Charlie
Registering for Medicare is really simple; so simple in fact I can't even remember doing it. I wouldn't bother in all honesty registering if you're unsure as to the date of taking up full residency.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
"As a new migrant to Australia, if you are aged 31 or over, you will not have to pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading if you take out private health insurance within 12 months of being registered for Medicare. After this time you will have to pay 2% more for each year you are aged over 30 when you take out private health insurance."

Anyone know if this is full Medicare i.e. when PR or only reciprical agreement when on 457.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Anyone know if this is full Medicare i.e. when PR or only reciprical agreement when on 457.
This is from Full Medicare when you get PR.We were on a 457 and were covered by our employers for private medical till got Pr.

Received Pr got a letter from Medicare and the date of elligibility was the date Pr was granted.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Hi

Charlie
Beware! You don't actually have to register for Medicare to start the clock ticking. We validated in July 05 and arrived permanently in Feb 06 which was when we registered for Medicare. When I enquired, it turned out that the 12 month period started running from when we validated in July 05. We managed to take out cover with about a week to spare in June 06.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Charlie

There is very little point in doing so, as you can't take advantage of the benefits, and it does trigger off the clock for taking out private insurance.

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
Beware! You don't actually have to register for Medicare to start the clock ticking. We validated in July 05 and arrived permanently in Feb 06 which was when we registered for Medicare. When I enquired, it turned out that the 12 month period started running from when we validated in July 05. We managed to take out cover with about a week to spare in June 06.

This shouldn't be the case, but does seem to have happened to some people. I validated in 2003 and moved permanently and registered with Medicare in 2006. I expected to have to pay the extra loading for the reasons that you outlined above. In the end, I was exempted because the Department of Health and Ageing were resolute that it is from the date that you register with Medicare, not the validation date. they supplied me with a letter which I passed on to my insurance company. There does appear to be some misscommunication between the Department and Medicare over the guidelines.

If you find that this has happened to you, then speak directly to the Private health Insurance Branch of the Department of Health and Ageing. You can call them for free on 1800 307 446.

S
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:28 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
There is very little point in doing so, as you can't take advantage of the benefits, and it does trigger off the clock for taking out private insurance.

This shouldn't be the case, but does seem to have happened to some people. I validated in 2003 and moved permanently and registered with Medicare in 2006. I expected to have to pay the extra loading for the reasons that you outlined above. In the end, I was exempted because the Department of Health and Ageing were resolute that it is from the date that you register with Medicare, not the validation date. they supplied me with a letter which I passed on to my insurance company. There does appear to be some misscommunication between the Department and Medicare over the guidelines.

If you find that this has happened to you, then speak directly to the Private health Insurance Branch of the Department of Health and Ageing. You can call them for free on 1800 307 446.

S

Agree with Swerv-o it is from the date that you register with medicare. You can contact medicare and they will send you a letter for your health insurance confirming date of registration.

Unfortunately when you call a call-centre there is no guarantee that you will not receive the 'floor muppet' to deliver your advice.....he always seems to be on stand-by awaiting my call.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Agree with Swerv-o it is from the date that you register with medicare. You can contact medicare and they will send you a letter for your health insurance confirming date of registration.

Unfortunately when you call a call-centre there is no guarantee that you will not receive the 'floor muppet' to deliver your advice.....he always seems to be on stand-by awaiting my call.

Generally I found the people on the phone at medicare to be pretty helpful, but you are right - there is bound to be one work experience person there when you call!

S
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:33 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Generally I found the people on the phone at medicare to be pretty helpful, but you are right - there is bound to be one work experience person there when you call!

S
I find most government lines to be helpful but I am always initially fielding the muppet.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

S
From what I remember I just rang them and asked for a letter to give to Medibank with regard to our eligibility not to have lifetime health loading applied. I was fairly horrified when the letter arrived and showed we had about a week left to get cover in place!

Seems typical of Aus that you get told one thing by one person and the complete opposite by somebody else in the same department!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:01 am
A rather curious boy

From what I remember I just rang them and asked for a letter to give to Medibank with regard to our eligibility not to have lifetime health loading applied. I was fairly horrified when the letter arrived and showed we had about a week left to get cover in place!

Seems typical of Aus that you get told one thing by one person and the complete opposite by somebody else in the same department!

Typically though, I find that most people will listen to a reasoned appeal.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Like many things in this place no-one seems to know. We made enquiries on just this point, eventually getting a call from a federal minister to "clear things up" - and it transpired after fifteen minutes she hadn't a clue either! Ended up saying "it depends how you read it' - which was what the query was in the first place................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.