Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A lifetime in Aus.

A lifetime in Aus.

Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Aussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really nice
Default A lifetime in Aus.

I dont post here very often but i read everyday.
I came here in 1973 so i think i might stay.
To all you people arriving here or thinking of coming its a different way of life to the Uk so if a German came to the UK and said your chocolate is crap and your tv is not as clear as ours you would get your back up.
Inform but dont say we have better that really upsets Australians.
Since pay tv came out the Australian free to air has suffered.
So when you are settled get pay tv and you can see all the British shows you left behind.
I have found a better way of life here so change and except and in the end it will be worth it.
The first few years i could have walked home but i stuck it out.
The strange thing is i was cleaning out all my old clothes from a trunk and
Could not believe all the gear i wore to keep warm in an English winter.
I could hardly walk in it now it was so heavy.
Hope all goes well with your new lives.
Greetings from Melbourne.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A lifetime in Aus.

Originally Posted by Aussiepeter
To all you people arriving here or thinking of coming its a different way of life to the Uk so if a German came to the UK and said your chocolate is crap and your tv is not as clear as ours you would get your back up.
So when you are settled get pay tv and you can see all the British shows you left behind.
I have found a better way of life here so change and except and in the end it will be worth it.
What do you know! You've only been there 33 years! Nice watch-words those - 'change and accept'.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:01 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Well put. Enjoy the differences, don't waste your time looking for the similarities
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

This has given me a lot more confidence and a very good reality check - cheers
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pete,

Great story, mate! So glad you decided to post!!

You're post made me think of something I have been meaning to post on here for a few weeks, but havent got around to it. Hope you dont mind?

A few weeks ago my Hubby and I went down to Port Fairy for a few days camping. While there we started talking to an older couple that were in a caravan with a 4x4 with WA Number plates. When we were talking to them, we discovered they live in the same tiny town my Dad lived when he was a boy, about 2 hours from Perth. Upon further discussion, it appears this couple came out to Australia from Epsom, UK about 33 years ago. Their names were Peter (which is what made me think of this story from your post) and Leslie.

Peter was a Mechanic and was 33 when he came out. He was out here on his own to get established before sending for his family. He got various jobs but when Leslie came out to Australia with their 6, yes SIX kids Peter was working on a 1,000,000 acre property just outside of Kununurra!! Imagine taking 6 children to somewhere like that back when they didnt have electricity out there, nor the phone....let alone a TV and Sky!!

All their children have grown up and built lives here in Australia and Pete and Leslie and on a 1 year trip around Australia....They said to us they would NEVER go back to the UK!!

I dont really have a point to this story, but thought I would share it.

Hels
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:21 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

A great post and I am glad to hear it has worked out for you
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:23 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Hi Pete,

Great story, mate! So glad you decided to post!!

You're post made me think of something I have been meaning to post on here for a few weeks, but havent got around to it. Hope you dont mind?

A few weeks ago my Hubby and I went down to Port Fairy for a few days camping. While there we started talking to an older couple that were in a caravan with a 4x4 with WA Number plates. When we were talking to them, we discovered they live in the same tiny town my Dad lived when he was a boy, about 2 hours from Perth. Upon further discussion, it appears this couple came out to Australia from Epsom, UK about 33 years ago. Their names were Peter (which is what made me think of this story from your post) and Leslie.

Peter was a Mechanic and was 33 when he came out. He was out here on his own to get established before sending for his family. He got various jobs but when Leslie came out to Australia with their 6, yes SIX kids Peter was working on a 1,000,000 acre property just outside of Kununurra!! Imagine taking 6 children to somewhere like that back when they didnt have electricity out there, nor the phone....let alone a TV and Sky!!

All their children have grown up and built lives here in Australia and Pete and Leslie and on a 1 year trip around Australia....They said to us they would NEVER go back to the UK!!

I dont really have a point to this story, but thought I would share it.

Hels
A great tale told
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Lucky you didnt move to QLD then, as you would need at least another 17 years before you became a local!

WW
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Lucky you didnt move to QLD then, as you would need at least another 17 years before you became a local!

WW
50 yrs if he/she had moved to WA
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future
Smile Re: A lifetime in Aus.

These was good words from 33 years of experience! Hope you enjoy plenty more!