Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lifestyle Newcastle

Lifestyle Newcastle

Old Mar 18th 2016, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lifestyle Newcastle

Originally Posted by Beoz
Good luck. Oh BTW. You can fly from Brisbane.
I know but I like driving. Its a beautiful country - much to see.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I know but I like driving. Its a beautiful country - much to see.
Enjoy. From a tourist perpective, that road would be so much better if it hugged the coast
Old Mar 18th 2016, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Around that area just north of Sydney is one I'll be checking out as retirement potential (if it ever comes that is *sigh*) Thing is when you ask Aussies about the area, particularly Sydneysiders and Newcastle ex's, they slag the place off something rotten. (You dont hear that with Adelaide and Perth) Which is contrary to a lot of Melburnians when they go there who tend to be far more polarised in their opinion of the place. I've an idea that listening to the complaints that it's quite a bogan culture.... Whether this is true or not I would have to test out for myself. I think that maybe the focal point as to whether the place is good enough to live though.

One things for sure, it must be by all accounts far more bogan orientated than Sydney or Melbourne overall. Which is a shame for such an obviously picturesque area.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 18th 2016 at 11:53 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Around that area just north of Sydney is one I'll be checking out as retirement potential (if it ever comes that is *sigh*) Thing is when you ask Aussies about the area, particularly Sydneysiders and Newcastle ex's, they slag the place off something rotten. (You dont hear that with Adelaide and Perth) Which is contrary to a lot of Melburnians when they go there who tend to be far more polarised in their opinion of the place. I've an idea that listening to the complaints that it's quite a bogan culture.... Whether this is true or not I would have to test out for myself. I think that maybe the focal point as to whether the place is good enough to live though.

One things for sure, it must be by all accounts far more bogan orientated than Sydney or Melbourne overall. Which is a shame for such an obviously picturesque area.
What are you talking about Ozzie? Not a lot of sense made there.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

What are you talking about Ozzie? Not a lot of sense made there.

When I've mentioned Newcastle as a possible future retirement destination to work colleagues and people I know that have lived there previously, the warnings are...... That it's supposedly got far more bogan culture than the state capitals, enough to be highly notable and possibly enough to make it not a good place to live.

I'll be going there to check this aspect out for myself.

It could be a place that Sydney shifts it's housing end of the line problem tenants too.... A lot Like Shepparton or Bacchus Marsh in Victoria.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
When I've mentioned Newcastle as a possible future retirement destination to work colleagues and people I know that have lived there previously, the warnings are...... That it's supposedly got far more bogan culture than the state capitals, enough to be highly notable and possibly enough to make it not a good place to live.

I'll be going there to check this aspect out for myself.

It could be a place that Sydney shifts it's housing end of the line problem tenants too.... A lot Like Shepparton or Bacchus Marsh in Victoria.
You can't commute from Newcastle to Sydney and keep your sanity. You should be able to but the NSW govt is focussing its efforts on Sydney and forgetting that investment in medium speed rail (straightening some of the line and allowing the trains to travel 140km/h) would make it commutable.

Sure there are bogans in some areas. There are everywhere.

Port Stephens is more the retirement place. If you take a walk around the shopping centre there out of the holiday period its mainly retirees and local families, but there's a small bogan element.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 4:54 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You can't commute from Newcastle to Sydney and keep your sanity. You should be able to but the NSW govt is focussing its efforts on Sydney and forgetting that investment in medium speed rail (straightening some of the line and allowing the trains to travel 140km/h) would make it commutable.
Even providing a few sidings for the majority of trains to head into to allow a 4x daily fast service doing central- Gosford - Broadmeadow and maybe one or two other stops would be super.

But at least the train is cheap and no pissing around trying to get the best fare on the dates you want like in the UK: just a flat fare, no fuss. My daughter comes up from Canberra and the Sydney to Broadmeadow leg costs less than $5. On Sunday the trip is $2.50 for anyone. I do like that